Nov 12, 2012 - 12:56 pm
I have completed the 9th FolFox treatment. At treatment 8 I had a CT and PET scan completed. Those scans showed a small 3mm nodule in the lower lobe of the right lung (same location as a previous met that was resected on 6/1/12). Today, six weeks later, I just completed a follow-up chest CT. I'll receive the results on Thur, 11/15. Waiting...
If the nodule has grown another surgery will be scheduled. And the FolFox will be deemed as not working. I hate the idea that I may have received 9 FolFox treatments along with all the ugly side effects, without receiving benefit. Maybe the small nodule will turn out to be nothing by inflamation.
I try to keep a positive outlook but sometimes that is hard to do.
So I will wait until Thursday to hear results and see what the next steps will be...
UPDATE ON 11/15:
Good news and potentially bad news...
The good news is that the scan on 11/12 shows that the small nodule is almost not detectible. It has shrunk considerably and the onc thinks it is most likely inflamation. However, he will want to watch it closely.
The potentially bad news is that my CEA level is up to 13.3. On 10/18 (last chemo treatment) it was at 6.3. His concern is that being on a chemo break may have allowed tumor activity, resulting in a rising CEA level. The highest CEA I had (pre surgeries to remove colon tumor and lung met) was 19.7.
If I read correctly from you all and from other web sites, CEA levels can rise and fall due to other non-cancer-related things... So, I'm hoping that the increase is not cancer related. The doc also said that the recent scans show NO cancer in lungs, liver, pancreas, etc... He did say it is possible that a tumor in the abdomen may not have been detected but he also said that is a low probability...
What is the significance of the rising CEA? Should I be overly concerned about this???