Oct 30, 2012 - 3:47 pm
I'll be going in for my quarterly PET Scan on Thursday morning. I really cannot wait to hear the results in light of some recent developments. Over the past six weeks, my CEA has jumped from 218 to 404 then dropped to 402 before jumping again to 444 last week. My alkaline phosphotates have also been pretty high above the maximum range and that's a measure of liver function. Then, on this past Saturday I started having a sharp pain in my right side, just about where the elbow touches the side. On Sunday, it was bad enough that I went to the ER where they did a CT scan and x-rays. The ER doc's opinion was "accelerated metastatic growth" and advised me to contact my onc, then sent me on home
Yesterday morning, I called the clinic and later the onc confirmed that there was some growth in the liver tumors of a few centimeters but not to be worried about it. Unfortunately, when they called back, I was pretty out of things and my sister took the message, so I'm not positive that it was "centimeters" of growth. If I'd spoken to them, I would have voiced m thought that "a few centimeters" is a pretty big deal and something to worry about, especially if it's causing pain. I've got a call in to talk directly with the onc and I'll let him know that I want a call as soon as he reads the report and not make me wait to see him on Tuesday.
So, for now I'm just loading up my metaphorical guns and getting ready to step out into the street at high noon for a showdown with this latest spurt of cancer growth. Good thing Ia fast draw and excellent shot!