Oct 25, 2012 - 2:32 am
Well my recent sudden journey started Friday October 12th, actually earlier but I didn't realize I had a ticket for this ride until then. I had been feeling off for a month or two but between working, going to school full time, being married and having 2 children I wrote most my symptoms off to stress, fatigue or what have you. I finally realized something was off that Friday in the shower when I was rinsing off and noticed my testicle was 3-4 times larger than it should be and very hard. I ended up waiting until Monday morning the 15th to call my Dr who told me they were booked an couldn't see me, after explaining what I was going through they directed me to the emergency room. I checked in around 8:30 am Monday and after blood works, ultrasounds and some other tests I got the news around 1 pm that I had testicular cancer.
I was in the hospital that day until about 3:30 pm and by the time I left I was scheduled for surgery to remove righty the very next morning, Tuesday the 16th. Surgery went well and I was released later that same day but having to go for a CT scan the following Monday the 22nd. So I went to the Dr. today for all the test results and prognosis for what is to come, low and behold he had good news for me!! I was diagnosed with Stage 1 cancer, the tumor they removed had 4 types of cancer in it, the CT scan came back negative, there were no other masses found but there were a few areas that were suspicious for infiltration (or something like that). All in all I thought this was very good news, so this is where the needing some advice part comes in.
I was given 3 options for treatment, actually 2 because chemo was one option but chemo would only work on 3 of the 4 cancers found in me and the Dr. thought that should be the last resort, plus he wanted to save them in case they were needed later. So option 1 was Surveillance, the wait and see approach, monthly Dr. visits and many more CT scans to come, which doesn't really appeal to me. I am not big on sitting back and waiting to see what happens and hoping for the best, there is a suspicion that it may have spread and just not large enough to see yet. I have very bad luck and am not a gambler, so to me this option does not sound very appealing.
The other option is having another surgery where they go in and remove my lymph nodes, it is my understanding that this is the next stop on the testicular cancer train, and that once the lymph nodes were removed any remaining evilness would be removed and I would undoubtedly be cancer free after this procedure. This is a much more appealing solution to me, even though I don't particularly want to have another surgery (I also had spinal fusion surgery just over a year ago). But to me taking control of the cancer and not letting it control me, removing the possibility of it spreading and giving myself the peace of mind knowing that it is out of my body makes it worth it. So for all you guys out there that have been through the trenches I am asking for your opinions and advice, I want to make this decision soon so I can move forward either way. Thank you in advance I look forward to your responses. :)