Sep 04, 2012 - 3:53 pm
HI- I am a 33 yr old mother of 2 young boys. I just had a biopsy that found my right 3.5 cm thyroid nodule is "suious for a neoplasm and concerning for medullary carcinoma". It further notes that numerous spindled cells and material concerning for amyloid are present. I have scheduled and appointment with an oncologist but cannot get in for at least a week. The ENT (who I had not seen before this) who ordered the biopsy told me that I would need a calcitonin level to determine if this was medullary or anaplastic. I havebeen waiting for 4 days now to get the calcitonin results which are still not back. I am annoyed at our medical system for being so untimely and having no since of urgency in a potentially life threatening situation. As I type I havethis tumor still inside of my neck and am hoping it does not travel elsewhere. If I had to choose between the 2 diagnosis I would love to call myself a meddie at this point in time. Does anyone out there have any thoughts or ideas as to anything I could be doing differently to help expedite this process? Thanks.