Jun 26, 2012 - 6:13 pm
Don had his first post op CT scan last Friday (6/22). We are scheduled to meet the Med Onc on July 6th. We have also chose not to call early for the results. The last time we called early for the results which was right after surgery - the news wasn't very good if you remember.
I am hoping that no news will be good news and the onc doesn't call us before the appointment to have Don come in earlier. Other than a cough that comes almost immediately after he eats, he is feeling pretty good and looks good. He did tell me on the way home from Charlotte, NC last Thursday that he has been having a few pains in his stomach area and that it hurts for him to sleep on either side. I pray this is either scar tissue or the healing process is continuing from surgery.
Two weeks ago Wednesday his stepmother (who is the 'mom' to us) fell and broke her back, laid there for over 45 minutes because Dad doesn't hear well. He took her to the hospital and while in the ER there, they managed to spill hot tea on her and she received 2nd degree burns - so they shipped her off to Chapel Hill Burn Center near Raleigh, NC (3 hours away). We found out about this Thursday morning and made arrangements so we could drive through the night to get there on Friday morning. Don's dad has dementia - so he should not be driving - he forgets things immediately and man did we have our hands full. We got arrangements made for both of them to be looked after (Home Instead) and a nurse comes in each day to change the dressings for her. Also stepbrother arranged for AlertOne for them in case there should be another fall.
We had to drive home Thursday so Don could have his CT scan on Friday morning. On Sunday, mom told Home Instead they didn't need to come back because she really doesn't have anything for them to do. (laundry, making bed, cooking, assistance with shopping, running errands so Dad won't drive, feeding her two cats, cleaning litter box, etc. - oh my Lord - I can't believe she did that). She is 85 and dad is 84. Stepbrother Ron owns Mountain Stream RV Campground in Marion, NC so his hands are full with their high season.
It was a very stressful time but I'm glad we could be there to help them and wished we could have stayed. If Don's results come back ok - he will probably go down again. If mom should fall again, that would be a disaster and we'll have a hot mess to deal with. Needless to say, the nerves are raw and I'm not going to push for what may not be good news - I'm ok with waiting and hoping the onc doesn't call us.
Hoping that each of you are enjoying the sunshine and summer season - we are getting on the bikes when we can and though we have cleaned the pool several times, we have not yet been in it - I need to purchase a floating wet bar and just get on my floating recliner and stay there for an entire day! LOL
So we're keeping everything crossed for both Don and his stepmom and praying for good results for Don and speedy recovery for mom.
Hugs and FEC,