Jun 05, 2012 - 8:24 pm
Hi to all,
Today I finished my last bag of Gemzar, signaling the end (I hope) of my first recurrence. My CA-125 is 7. As I wait for my PET/CT scan on June 18, and then wait to hear the results at my doctor's appointment on June 21, I find myself musing about a few things.
Is it better to take a chemo break and give my body a rest, or do some kind of maintenance chemo to keep the cancer at bay? I am apparently handling chemo fairly well for my age (69 on June 15) - no real problems with blood levels, no drug allergies, etc. Just that eternal exhaustion, and pitifully thin hair! I have extreme faith in my gyn/onc and anxiously await his advice. I guess it will ultimately depend on the results of the scan. Sigh.
Again, I find myself having to deal with that sinking "what next" feeling, just like when I finished my first chemo treatments at exactly this time last year. Everyone says "Yay! It's over! Now you can get back to your normal life!" But we all know that life will never be normal again. I know that it's all relative, and trust me, I am SO grateful to be alive.
Thanks for listening and letting me whine. This board, with all its super-informed and understanding members, is worth thousands of therapy dollars!