May 15, 2012 - 6:10 am
On May 1, through a CT Scan to rule out intestinal problems, they saw a 6 cm mass on my Kidney. I went to my Dr that day, and he referred me to a urologist. The urologist looked at the situation, said it was Renal Cell Carcinoma, and would come out soon, not emergency. He wanted to review the scan with the Radiologist: that was C+ 2d.
I heard back from him twice, once saying he is unsure, the next saying for me to come in (C+7d). I came in on day 9, and he described the procedure, which was consistent with what I had read: Full Nephrectamy, multiple Dr, scheduling will be hard. Target the week of June 4.
Yesterday (C+14), they call back with a date for the surgery: June 19, or 50 day after the mass was observed. That seems like a really long time to wait. Granted, in looking at treatment outcomes, the delay does not seem to be a health risk, but I am going crazy with concern.
On the other hand, the 19th is a convenient time for me: it will allow me to miss an office move which will probably result in two weeks of no productivity (no computers). In addition, it is after the school year, which will be easier for handling my school age child.
What I did was ask the scheduling person to find out if it is safe to wait that long (Dr.'s opinion).
Sorry for the rambling post. Never dealt with anything like this, and I feel powerless to make things happen.