My first entry after being a reader for recent weeks. I have muchly benefitted from those who have shared thier knowledge/experiences.
Biopsy on 1/23/12 showed 1 of 12 cores was cancerous with only 2% involvement and a Gleason score of 6. Initial grading by OURLab and confirmed by pathologist at Mayo Scottsdale. PSA density from most recent test is 0.24 (8.5/35). PSA velocity has a 9-month doubling time.
Second opinion from the Mayo urologist was for active surveillance; he, a surgeon, would not recommend surgery or BT due to a blood clotting tendency which has me on warfarin. IMRT was his treatment of choice. I have a history of high PSA, and had a biopsy in 2006 after getting a result above 4.0. That biopsy showed only 1 of 12 cores with high grade PIN. Repeat PSAs since were in 3.5 to 4.4 range until 4/11 PSA was 6.9, retested in 5/11 at 7.2, and at 8.5 in 7/11 after taking a 3-week treatment on cipro to rule out prostatitis. An initial biopsy scheduled date of 9/11 had to be postponed due to a hospitalization for pulmonary embolisms, a repeat of a 3/93 experience.
Post-biopsy next PSA is later this month. Other treatment options are Cyberknife in Phoenix and PB at Loma Linda in CA. My primary care physician recommends PB.
Other medical conditions are mild aortic valve regurgitation and mild COPD. At this point I am leaning towards active surveillance at least until a repeat biopsy next January, though I am troubled by my PSA density and velocity values.
Anyone have something to offer regarding my concerns.