This was an idea and thread started by adventurebob a couple of years ago. These are all items we compiled as things we found we really needed to help us get through treatment. Obviously, no one needs everything, but I know I used a lot of stuff off this list. So perhaps if you are just starting treatment, or know some one who is, maybe you may want to get some of these things or give the person a gift basket filled with some of these items.
Please feel free to add additional items that you found were essential during your treatment time.
I am reviving this thread since it is a great resource as to what would be great for a new person starting treatment. We have a few here that are new, so maybe this will be helpful. I have also gone down the whole thread and tried to just pick out the items that are useful. I tried to get everything, there's a lot!
1. Lotion for skin
2. Green tea Or herbal tea
3. Biotene dental products
5. Baking soda / salt and peroxide. Recipe / instructions or rinse
6. Journal / log book
9. Ensure or Boost
10. Bottled water and or a good water bottle
11. Cotton hankie
12. Fleece hat
13. Hard candy
15. L-Glutamine Powder
16. Home blood pressure monitor kit
17. Slippers / house shoes
18. Caloric intake book or website like my pyramid tracker to make sure you're getting in enough calories
19. Coupons for frosty's or shakes
21. Ace bandage chip clip or netting for holding peg tube
22. Solo 16 oz cups and napkins for mucus spitting
23. Call SPOHNC or see superthread for link for the free book. We Have Walked In Your Shoes. A Guide to Oral Head And Neck Cancer.
24. American Cancer Society. They will send you a packet of info and free stuff as well. Will also reimburse you for mileage to hospital during treatment.
25. Lip balm. (I love CO BIGELOW from bath and body
26. Stoppers 4
27. Calendula cream for neck burns.
28. Books like, Creating A Cancer Fighting Kitchen
29. Magic Mineral Broth or recipe for broth. Or give them a good home made rich stock with no salt.
30. Soft bristle tooth brush
31. Sponge/foam brushes for tooth brushing when mouth is too sore for soft bristles
32. Paper tape
33. Water proof tape
34. Drain sponges or 2x2 gauze bandages for peg tube
35. Baby wipes
36. Pill crusher splitter
37. Pill organizers
39. Package of note cards or thank you notes
4o. Ear plugs
42. Small rubber coated baby spoon. Some people say they like them even better than plastic cutlery.
43. Toothette mouth moisturizer. (sometimes this comes in a kit with a rinse and sponges on a stick)
44. Protein powder
45. Neck Pillow
46. Electric razor.