Feb 09, 2012 - 1:28 am
A Pet/CT confirmed that the 1 inch tumor found in my liver on the 4th Cat scan since my Esophagus surgery in Dec 2010 is malignant. At Mass General they are convinced that it is stage 4 esophageal adenocarcinoma in the liver. Initially I was told that chemo with Folfox was a high possibility, but their top liver surgeon, Kenneth Tanabe, met with me and is convinced he can remove the tumor and believes he can do it laposcopically. My Pet/Ct was on 1/26, meeting with Oncologist on 1/30, a Brain MRI on 1/31 which was clean and a meeting with the surgeon on 2/3 so Mass General definitely jumped on my case. The liver tumor in on the top left (segment 7) and I was told that since there is a redundency of functions in the liver that it could be safely removed. The surgery is scheduled for Feb 22nd.
Since my original battle with cancer staged as T3N1M0, hearing that I was now stage 4 because of the spread was scary, but now that surgery is going to take place I am cautiously optomistic.
Since adenocarcinoma cannot be detected with blood tests or with cat scans until it is big enough to see, there is no telling if this will be the last of my problems. The surgeon is convinced that the cancer spread through the bloodstream in 2010 when it was detected in my esophagus, but was not caught then because it was too small to detect. It did not show up on my first 3 Cat scan after surgery, then on the 4th, there it was.
At times people are looking for stage 4 survivors and not all stage 4's are the same. If this tumor would have been found at the same time as the tumor in my esophagus, two surgeries would not be an option. Another point is that my chemo (Cisplatin and 5-FU did not kill the liver cancer) which is not comforting.
After the surgery they will decide if I have chemo at that time. Cross your fingers for me. Here we go again!