I was diagnosed in July 2011 with stage 2 PCa, 3 of 12 being positive, Gleason score of 3+3 "involves app. 10% of the core". The same for all 3. One said "High grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (Pin 2-3)" whatever that means. PSA in May was 7. A later one in Nov. was 4.6. I've read that statins may lower PSA by maybe 10%. Mine was about 1/3 lower. In addition I usually will not get up at night until after 5 or 6 hours, sometimes longer. This is an improvement over the past. I am inclined to wait for another PSA report.
In August I had bypass surgery. I am now nearly thru re-hab and need to get serious about deciding to treat or not to treat. I am in good health for a 79 yr. old. The cardiologist suggests treatment as he says I have a strong heart that should last another 15-20 years. Of course there are no guarantees altho several of my ancestors and their descendants lived well into their 90s. I wonder if the odds are good enough to take chances on the side effects of treatment. If cancer treatment would go as well as the bypass, I would not hesitate. Cyberknife, Proton or HIFU sound promising but I don't know of any in the central Indiana area. Out of the area, especially Texas or Tenn. as I have ties there, might be a possibility if one is the best option. I have talked to a Dr. that does the HDR brachytherapy and one that does EBRT. My Urologist said I would probably have 7-10 years if I did nothing. As you can tell I am on the fence and don't know which way to fall. Any suggestions and advice will be welcome.
Thanks in advance,