Dec 17, 2011 - 5:46 am
I am 60 and was diagnosed with PC in mid November. At the time of the biopsy my PSA was 6.5 and had been above 6 since July. The urologist suggested taking another PSA in September and a final one in late October to see if PSA levels remained high. The July PSA is 6.7 and the September PSA is 7.4 and the October PSA is 6.5. The November biopsy resulted in 8 of 12 samples testing positive with one sample being moderately aggressive. At the moment we are considering several treatments. One treatment we are considering is HIFU. Another treatment we are considering is robotic prostatectomy. The treatment we select may be dependent on what insurance will pay. We have submitted data to the insurance company, including a cost of $30,000, to see if HIFU is covered. If HIFU is not covered then we will look at robotic which I believe will cost about $45,000 but is covered by insurance. Does anyone have any insights into HIFU vs robotic? We are still in the decision making process and are still in a state of confusion as we struggle through a learning curve.