Sep 26, 2011 - 9:35 pm
It's been a while since I have been on these boards. I was diagnosed with papillary carcinoma follicular variant in November 2010. I had a TT a week after diagnosis and I am just now getting ready to do my ablation RAI treatment. Why you ask? Well, a bunch of incidents that just lead to this! I requested a 2nd opinion after my surgery regarding RAI, then had a body scan using Thyrogen which came back with something funny on the results. Was sent for a CT with contrast, then had to go back to the ENT for a consult, turned out it was nothing. Then had to wait 6 weeks for the contrast to leave my body completely. That was right around the time the Thyrogen shortage began and then my town suffered an EF5 tornado that destroyed the hospital where I had my surgery as well as the doctors offices that I was visiting. Thank God I had switched to another oncologist and Endo a few months prior because I don't know what I would have done. Even with the switch, our town was not in a good place and everything just kind of fell to the back burner. Anyway, the Thyrogen is in for me to complete treatment. I am on the low iodine diet right now. I have been cooking and freezing meals like crazy so I won’t starve! LOL! I am scheduled for Thyrogen October 5 and 6 and the RAI on the 7.
Now for my question, has anyone every activated their FMLA at work for their treatment? What about disability? The reason I am asking is because I have had to activate my FMLA so that I can care for my daughter who is ill and my employer won't let me use FMLA for both my Thyca treatment and my daughters illness. They say I have to pick one and suggested it be the one that lasts the longest. Well, that's a hard call. If I take the RAI and do the body scan a week later and they find something then it's not over. On the flip side, my daughter’s illness isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It was suggested to me to activate disability for a short time and was just curious if anyone else has ever done that for their thyca treatment.