Sep 16, 2011 - 2:52 am
There are three areas of concern in my body right now.
First, the local recurrence...a lump at the mastectomy scar. (It became 3 lumps between biopsy and surgery.) Had surgery Tuesday to get them out, and no nice neat steri strips this time. I have seven big black ugly stitches. Still waiting for full pathology on that, but the biopsy at that site showed cancer consistent with my original dx. I'm hoping I'll get clean margins here.
Second, mystery spot on the liver...it shows up on the CT scan but not on the pet scan. Based on everything else going on, I'm not willing to leave that a mystery. I'm gonna find a way to solve that little mystery...more scans, biopsy, have them remove the whole damned spot if I can.
Third, two lymph nodes near my left lung. I got final pathology on that biopsy today, yep it's cancer...and yep, it's consistent with the original dx. My onc is on vacation right now, so I spoke with another one...she says no surgical removal because the lymph nodes are in a location "that is too difficult to get to." It seems to me that if we can get to the lymph nodes to do a biopsy, then we can damned well get to them and take them out. So I'm asking for a consult with a thoracic(sp?) surgeon. Regardless, I will need chemo again because the cancer is in the lymph system. (And because it's in the lymph system, no lymphedema massage for me right now.)
I will have to wait at least two, maybe three weeks before starting chemo again. We need to allow healing from the surgery before we start killing cells again. The big advantage to waiting is that it will give me time to research my onc's recommendation and look at some clinical trials too. The scary part about waiting is how quickly IBC moves.
This is where I start either crying or cursing, depending on my mood pendulum...
Thank you all for caring so deeply and for listening so well.