Haven't written in a little while. Husbands rectal tumor is back. He has stage 4 colorectal
w/mets to liver. After all the procedures the last 2 years, operations, colostomy, 2 rounds of chemo, thought he might be in for a rest. He has been on erbitux for the last
3 months. He started feeling a lot of pain when he sits or walks, also urination problems.
Drs did a protoscopy and found the rectal tumor is back with a vengence. It is about 1 inch from the opening of the rectum and two large to take the rectum out with hopes of
getting all the cancer. Did a pet scan to see if anything else has developed in the area,
and to recheck liver mets. Cant take heavy chemo yet cause platelets haven't built back up. He had a lot of radiation for prostate cancer several years back, so they are wavy
to do a lot of radiation now. Drs are deciding to do only 3 weeks of radiation to help
shrink the rectal tumor to help with the pain only. We are waiting on that decision and
also the results of the scan. Feel like we are in some kind daze, the way the doctors
have talked throughout,I somehow thought the danger would be in the liver. So when the liver mets became stable, I thought we could relax a little. But I keep realizing how
much I don't know about this disease. His tumor markers had gone to 24 in February, then
down to 13 several months later. Now we find the count has gone up to 54. Does any of this make since? Am concerned that if they do the 3 weeks radiation to shrink it to
decrease pain, won't it just grow again. Then what? More radiation for 3 weeks?
Any one out there experienced this? Thank for letting me vent.