Aug 22, 2011 - 5:26 pm
I am a new member to the network.
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2004 and had a radical p in Feb. of 2005, Davinci surgery. Gleason score post surgery was 8, and the margins were negative. For the first few years everything was going fine with psa readings <.2, but now it has started to rise. The readings were as follows:
My urologist recommended a bone scan and ct scan which took place on 7/20/11. The results were negative.
Last week I saw an oncologist at a cancer hospital, and she did not make a definitive recommendation as to treatment. She felt that any radiation treatment of the prostate bed at this point would probably not be productive since the rapidly rising psa indicates that the cancer has probably spread to other parts of the body. Also, she gave me information on Degarelix (Firmagon) and Leuprolide (Lupron) as well as a study for which I am an eligible candidate.
I have decided to wait at least until my next PSA test in November before starting any kind of treatment other than some dietary changes.
I am writing on this forum to seek your advice as to when, based on your experiences, I should start hormone therapy or some other treatment.
Thank you for your help.