I am hoping for some advice from someone who has "been there done that."
Last June I was diagnosed with Low grade, Stage I mucoepidermoid carcinoma in the minor salivary glands on the roof of my mouth. I had surgery on August 12, with clear margins. My surgeon thought I would not need radiation; however my radiation oncologist decided that I should have radiation to the cancer site and to the lymph nodes in the neck for preventative reasons in case there were microscopic cells that might have been left behind.
I decided to have a second opinion and went to Chicago to a University Hospital. After looking at my records, scans, and path reports, the oncologist there said that to do radiation for a tumor that was low grade with clear margins would be "outrageous."
He suggested monthly visits to my surgeon for observation would be adequate, and if the cancer returned, they would then do radiation.
Right now I feel lucky but I really don't know what to do. I have two totally opposite opinions and though I would rather not have to do radiation, I also was told that if the cancer returns, it is always worse than the first time to treat, and he would rather prevent it from recurring by doing preventative radiation.
Also, it has been 8 weeks since surgerly, and the oncologist mentioned that the radiation should be started within 6 weeks of surgery, or it is not really effective. Anyone know about this? I am running out of time for making a decision on this as he wants to start radiation in the next 2 days.