On July 31st we plan to leave on vacation for 2 weeks. This coming up Tuesday I get the bone marrow test done which will tell us if my cancer is in the marrow/bone, or both. From what you all have said this will be the last step in staging my cancer...(stage 3 right now. I'm guessing once my doctor knows "exactly" what stage I'm in she will then decide what kind of treatment to pursue, and how soon to start it.
Here's my question....
Would it be wise or safe to ask my doctor to wait until we get back from vacation to start treatment? The first tumors appeared in January and so far I haven't experienced any other symptoms of having cancer except for being tired and some shoulder and back discomfort. Since my cancer is indolent, whats the worse that could happen if I waited to start treatment around the third week of August. Even if it proves to be in my marrow and bone and puts me at stage 4....what would be the pro's or con's of waiting? We are only looking at a one month delay. From what I've read about all of your first round of treatments...it can be a pretty rough experience and a time where we should be very watchful for side affects, blood counts, various re-actions to the introduction of chemo, etc. My point is...my husband and I are thinking it's probably wiser to be in town at home and close to my doctor and the clinic in the first few weeks of starting treatment. What do you all think we should do?
BTW... We need to give a 2 week cancellation knowtice on the cottage we've rented in order to get back the $200.00 deposit we have already paid for.