Mar 29, 2010 - 7:51 pm
Informed of biopsy report a week ago. 59 years old. PSA 4.3, Gleason 3+3, 1 of 12 biopsy cores showed 15% involvement with no evidence of perineural invasion. No physical symptoms. I've calculated my PSA doubling time to be 9.4 years from PSA readings going back to 2002. PSA density of 0.09 ng/ml/ml based on a prostate volume of 47 ml. PSA velocity calculated at 0.23 ng/ml/year.
In the past six days I have read about half the prostate cancer books at Amazon.com downloaded to my Kindle, several clinical studies, many message boards (this seems to be the best), and lots of other relevant literature on the internet. (I've become obsessed!)
I was wondering how survivors here made their decision. It appears to me that many here favor the DaVinci surgery method but several studies I read showed no significant change in long term mortality rates between surgery, radiation, or watchful waiting. Many papers caution about over treating indolent cancers that would never be life threatening.
I'm feeling lots of pressure from my wife and family to DO SOMETHING! I am in the process of scheduling second opinions and consultations with a variety of nutritionists, urologists, oncology experts, and radiation specialists. Also have appointments with a Cyberknife center near me and also at Loma Linda Medical Center for proton therapy.
I have good insurance and am fortunate enough to have the ability to self pay if I was to be denied coverage on a treatment option.
Would appreciate any feedback from those who chose surgery over watchful waiting and how much of an impact family pressure may have had on their decision.
Thanks in advance.