Feb 08, 2006 - 3:03 pm
I posted a couple of weeks back when I first went to my GYN about the problems I was having. I originally went to see her for abdominal pain, bloating, gas, diarrhea, painful bowel movements, and persistent nausea. At that time the nausea was of least concern to me. Now it has become so pronounced that it is my primary concern and I've now lost over 10 pounds in the last 2 weeks because I can't eat much.
Since my first visit to the GYN I've had a sonogram which showed a small cyst (probably functional) but there are growths on the outside of my ovaries. I was told they could be scar tissue or endometriosis. I did previously have my uterus removed about 2 years ago for fibroid tumors and endometriosis. I also had a slightly elevated CA125. It was right at 25 which for this particular test is the threshold for abnormal. In other words, if it had been 24 it would have been considered normal. That is up from 17 a year ago.
At my GYN's insistent I had a EGD and a Colonoscopy done. The results of that found nothing to explain the problems I"m having other then a Hiatal Hernia which the Gastroentologist said would not explain any of my symptoms other than the occasional acid reflux I've been experiencing.
Anyway, my GYN now wants to remove my ovaries. She doesn't think there is any validity to my concern about the possibility that I may have ovarian cancer and that a laparoscopy could cause it to metastasizes if not done by someone trained in oncology. My gut is telling me I should go to an oncologist and have them make a decision on whether I should be concerned or not. I'm having trouble getting a referral though and when I spoke with an oncologist office they said an initial consultation could run into the thousands of dollars since they would want to run test. They suggested I go directly to my insurance company to request the referral. Did any of you have a problem like this with your GYN?
Some of my family is starting to get inpatient with my insistence that something is wrong and I'm afraid that if I insist on the oncologist and it turns out to be a false alarm no one in my family will ever take me seriously again. I'm also afraid if I don't it could be a death sentence. I have two small girls to raise. This has already been going on for several months. The nausea is getting worse and I'm not getting any answers that make sense to me.