Sep 29, 2005 - 7:11 am
After 5 cancer-free years there is now a possibility I will face it again. A lymphocele which has been present for about a year and HAS NOT changed in size is now recommended by my oncologist to be removed and tested. His concern is that my CA125 has steadily been rising and is now at 26.5. The lymphocele is located on the bowel, so it is not likely that it can be aspirated (too much risk in punctering the bowel and putting me at risk). Therefore, he recommends a full laparotomy (vertical incision this time) and chemo if it proves to be an issue.
My appointment was at 4pm and I did not return home until 1am. Yes, that's AM. This is a typical appointment for me with my oncologist. I'll explain some other time. So, right now I am tired, concerned, and just looking for some experience out there in this area. My questions . . .
1. I've heard of concerns in opening up a person and exposing their organs to oxygen, thereby possibly creating a worse situation (although I know this doesn't belong there and needs to come out).
2. Typically, since it has been 5 years does this mean if it is cancer my chances are better or not so good to get through this a second time around?
3. My originaly was stage 1C, 6 rounds of carbo/taxol, full hysterectomy with omentum and lymph node removal. Obviously, this time they are only (hopefully) removing the lymphocele. My recovery time will be the same (6 weeks).
So, I guess I'm just looking for some thoughts on this. My husband is by my side, helping me to get ready if need be to repeat this process again. I will continue my health/exercise/nutrition regimine, maybe even step it up a bit. So, I am not concerned about that. Just need to get some medical background on this situation or similar.
Thanks to all who respond. As always, my prayers are with all of you. I have been wearing my 'teal ribbon' this month not just for me, but for ALL of us. I'll be patiently awaiting some replies.
Have a wonderful, blessed day!