Jun 02, 2005 - 7:35 pm
Hi all --
I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's 2B last October and finished ABVD on March 10. I also had 13 radiation treatments post ABVD to my upper chest and neck. I'm going back to my doctor for my three month check-up on June 16th. My husband and I are very eager to start a family. We have already put things off due to my sickness, and just don't want to wait. I've read a lot about pregnancy after cancer, and understand the benefits of waiting (letting my body recover, making sure I am not going to relapse, etc.), but I'm still struggling with the decision to put things off any longer. Here's my line of thinking....
I am fortunate that my treatment most likely did not do any irreparable damage to my reproductive system. It would be wonderful to have the assurance that I won't get cancer again, but only time will tell. If I do get cancer again, specifically Hodgkin's, the next line of defense is autologous stem cell transplant and high dose chemo. The chances of my fertility surviving that are so very slim. Trying for a biological child is so important to us....by waiting I feel like we're possibly losing our only chance.
I know it seems like a small thing to wait a year, or whatever the recommended time is, but I'm not convinced it's the right choice for us. Does anyone have any insight? Did anyone make the choice to try for a child fairly soon after treatment? Had a doctor tell you the risks or lack thereof?
I'd love some help....I think about this all the time.