Jan 11, 2004 - 5:34 pm
Hi there. I'm new to this site and have had the pleasure of meeting a few of you in chat. Any insight would be appreciated.
I'm a 42 yr. old female (obviously) w/2 kids (per C-section). I had a partial hysterectomy (incl. cervix) 2+ yrs. ago. I refused my ovaries to be taken. They were fine then, and I wanted the natural hormones.
I recently (8 days ago) had an ultrasound, after my annual pap when I almost flew off the table when the nurse practitioner palpated my ovaries (I couldn't get in to see my gyne for 2 mos. for annual exam, so I went to the NP w/whom I used to work. She's very thorough. And I didn't want to tell the gyne that I needed to get in sooner b/c I was having probs., b/c I wasn't convinced it was any big deal....until, the NP palpated my ovaries! I saw stars!
I have a history of ovarian cysts, but they come and go. And the largest these cysts have ever gotten was 2-3 cm. But right now, the ultrasound measured at about 8-9 cm. on the left, and (I forget...) about 3-4 cm. on right.
I have been experiencing discomfort since Aug., but really just thought it was the same ole cyst thing coming and going (and maybe it was). But, the discomfort stayed and then the discomfort turned to pain. I thought this/these cyst(s) were being persistent this time. But in November I knew I should get seen, just in case. So I made the appt. Then in mid early Dec. I began having alot of pelvic pressure. Late Dec. began w/bladder complaints--couldn't hold it nearly as long, some urgency, etc. (no history of bladder infections).
I went for my annual pap 2 1/2 wks. ago and my wonderful NP encouraged me to get an ultrasound, b/c of severe pain w/pelvic exam, and she said that the left ovary w/cyst was large. I told her that this was just the same ole thing and I'd be fine, but she still encouraged me not to wait--to get the ultrasound.
Well, I finally got the ultrasound 8 days ago, b/c the pain and fullness was getting worse. And after the ultrasound, I went home and called my gyne's office and asked them to get a copy of the report and check it out. I told them I had a 8-9 cm. cyst. Well, he got the report, then called me and said he wanted me to get labs drawn (cancer markers: CA 125, Inhibin, etc.), and to come see him "tomorrow" (which was this past Tues.). I was expecting him to want to see me b/c the tech confirmed how large the cyst was (I am an LPN--not working in the field now, partly due to new Lupus diagnosis this year, etc.). I could see on the US screen the cyst was large.
Anyway, my husband (of 21 yrs., and a great support) and I went to talk to gyne, and I was really surprised when my otherwise optimistic doc said he thought I had a 50/50 chance of the cyst being benign. Hmm, not 90% chance of benign? (However, that was before all the labs got back, which are fine--but the Inhibin, the newest test, I guess, is due back tomorrow).
Well, I was wondering if any of you had tests that came back good, but had cancer anyway. Not just the Ca 125--I know they are not dependable. But also, I understand that Ca markers can be negative if it's a low stage. Can any of you enlighten me on that? So many are talking around me, but are afraid to say anything to me. That is so frustrating. I can deal w/anything. But this quiet before the storm is the worst. I'd like to know the worst case scenario (even though I am really optimistic). I just feel that the gyne is preparing me and progressing w/the surgery as if it IS cancer, although he says it probably is not. He even has another surgeon on call, to do the staging if necessary. I appreciate his being prepared.
Can any of you relate to my situation? I am almost expecting them to say I have a stage 1 or 2, b/c the ultrasound showed a complex cyst (w/septums) I guess some of which is fluid-filled and some not. I'm going for surgery in about 36 hrs. from now, and would appreciate your feedback. And this may very well be just annoying benign cysts (I sure hope).
Thanks so much for any reply. And I wish you all well. God bless.
~Blessed (very blessed, indeed!)