Feb 19, 2003 - 3:30 pm
I have been reading so many discussions since I was diagnosed January 16 with Extensive DCIS (non invasive) so I decided to post my question. Thank You in advance for any and all responses.
I am having a hard time deciding between my 2 options. Option 1 is to have another biopsy because my margins weren't clear and if they are then clear, follow up with Radiation and tomoxifen. Option 2 is to have a Mastectomy with reconstruction and then Tomoxifen.
I have been reading all the discussions about DCIS and I was wondering if you could share what helped you make your decision. My DCIS is Multifocal/Extensive and has comedo patterns present. In addition, the Nuclear grade is 2/3. My mom died from Ovarian cancer 2 years ago. My maternal grandmother also died from Ovarian cancer. My other grandmother died from Breast cancer that went untreated because she didn't tell anyone.
I feel like I should have a strong commitment to either saving my breast or getting rid of the DCIS entirely by having a Mastectomy but I keep going back and forth in my head which is driving me crazy. The doctors say the survival rate is the same with either option but it seems to me that a chance for reoccurrence would be lessoned by having the Mastectomy. I am awaiting getting in to have the test for the BRCA genes but probably won't get results before I need to make a decision.
Help - How did you make your decision? I have been reading the Dr. Susan Love book but wanted to get some advice from others that have been were I am right now.