In November, my wife had a sentinel node biopsy and a lumpectomy. The tumor
was 2.5 X 2.5 X 2 cm and was diagnosed as "invasive ductal carcinoma with
chondroid metaplasia" (not estrogen receptive). The lymph node biopsy
yielded the following result: metastatic adenocarcinoma in 2 of 2 lymph nodes.
Chemotherapy followed with
1) 4 C/A protocol infusions 21 days apart and,
2) 9 weekly Taxol infusions
We have one Taxol infusion to go and have to decide whether to have another
ALND surgery to see if other lymph nodes are positive. It seems that this is
the only way to test the effectiveness of the chemo to date and to decide if
other treatment should added to radiation that is planned.
We would be interested in hearing from anyone who has been in this situation
and would share the decision they made and the results. Lymphedema and other
permanent effects are our primary concern, but so is peace of mind.