Catheter removal

Options
Steve1961
Steve1961 Member Posts: 530 Member
edited April 25 in Prostate Cancer #1

so anyway, I went to my general practitioner to have the catheter removed. He pulled out all the saline in the balloon, and then literally grabbed it and yanked it out. I have to admit it really hurt about the last inch at the tip of my penis and now it has been two weeks and the tip of my penis inside still hurts about an inch. Is this normal? Its not extremely painful but it aches

Comments

• Clevelandguy
    Clevelandguy Member Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options

Hi,

When my Urologist pulled mine I had no such problem. Might want to give your Urologist a call for a check on damage or an infection.

Dave 3+4

• Josephg
    Josephg Member Posts: 386 Member
    edited April 24 #3
    Options

For me, it was a complete nothing burger. No pain, no discomfort, no after effects. I did, however, make sure that my surgical team, the ones who installed the catheter, were also the ones who removed it. No grabbing, no yanking, just a constant and steady pull force, and out it came.

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options

Yes, I agree with Dave comments above.

You could inquire your Urologist for a checkup. The pain maybe from an infection which commonly occurs while the catheter is on but we don'tfeelit. Some UTI meds will "fix" you back.

Congratulations on the progress.

• Steve1961
    Steve1961 Member Posts: 530 Member
    Options

thanks my doctor didn’t like the cloudiness he saw in the bag so he ordered a test and there was no infection i’ll give it another few days. I’ll let some of my care team members know all in all the leaking part could be better. Hopefully it will get better months to come.

• lighterwood67
    lighterwood67 Member Posts: 378 Member
    Options

This was not an issue for me. Actually, I would say that was one of the smoothest procedures performed. Probably, because I wanted it out.

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 145 Member
    Options

When I left the hospital, I had instruction for DIY. I believr it said to pull with slow steady pressure, not to yank it out. No issues after removal.