Ultrasound and CT not able to detect if it's a pedunculated fibroid or a mass.

Options
starrynight5626
starrynight5626 Member Posts: 1 *
edited April 19 in Ovarian Cancer #1

I (post-menopausal 52 y/o) went in to urgent care about a month ago with stomach pains. Doctor thought it was a ruptured appendix, but sent me for a CT scan to verify. Turns out it was diverticulitis, but on the CT scan they noticed a a complex cyst on my left ovary, however they couldn't be sure if it was a pedunculated fibroid or a mass.

I was referred to an ultrasound which I finally had last week. I got the results later in the afternoon and they marked it as abnormal because they still can't tell if there's a mass attached to the ovary or not. The report says "HISTORY: Possible left adnexal/ovarian mass vs. fibroid on CT".

My doctor sent me a note the next day saying:

The ultrasound results still suggest the mass near the left ovary is most likely a fibroid extending out from the surface of the uterus, but the radiologist isn't 100% confident. I'm sending the pictures to our OBGYN surgeons to get their recommendation on next steps.

Today I got a note from the doctor my doctor sent the note to saying:

My doctor: Is an exploratory laparoscopy the only remaining way to evaluate this? Is there a role for CA-125 and CEA assessment to help decide if further evaluation is needed? Does she need to be referred out to Gyn Onc?

OBGYN doctor: Assessment: 52yo with incidental finding of a pelvic mass, unclear if ovarian or uterine.  Recommendations for referring clinician: I would recommend a pelvic MRI with and without contrast. It tends to be much better at delineating pelvic structures and her ultrasound and CT scan are non diagnostic. Feel free to re e-consult gynecology once the MRI is back if necessary.

It's frustrating waiting! I can't get my MRI for nearly 6 weeks.

Comments

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Hi

I’m going to try to make this short. If you’re interested in how I formed my opinions you could find much information about my experiences on my profile page, and the ovarian, uterine, and lung cancer boards. Yes, I’ve been a cancer survivor twice: 1) 2020 - Stage II Fallopian tube cancer, secondary peritoneal, 2) 2023 - Stage III B NSC lung cancer. (NOT a recurrence. A brand new primary cancer.)

CT’s cannot diagnose cancer. Practically worthless in my opinion. I haven’t had any MRI’s. I would insist on a PET/CT scan. Cancer cells will light up like a Christmas tree. Even IT cannot be definitive for cancer. The ONLY way to diagnose cancer is a biopsy, and even that is not foolproof because if they “poke” the wrong spot, cancer can be missed.

I was 65 when diagnosed. The second I knew there was a hint of a problem I said, “Get it ALL out of there!” I had no idea how much misery was ahead. I was VERY lucky to have caught both my cancers when they were able to treat me with “curative” intent.

I wish you the best of luck. You might be shocked to discover that YOU are the only one who will ever seem to be in a hurry. Fight like a dog for the right treatment.
    ❤️, A

• BadassMom
    BadassMom Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I was initially offered an ultrasound 3 weeks out. I hate waiting and was already in pain. I found a different ultrasound provider who could do the U/S the next day. Just because they refer you to one provider doesn’t mean you have to go to that office in my experience. I worked it like it was my job when they ordered the MRI. I live in an area with lots of resources and I hope you do too. The long and short of it is you have to call and hope for a cancellation. Remember you will likely need to be fasting to be able to claim a cancelled appointment. Maybe call 30 minutes after they open? You can always go to the ER if your pain is worsening. They might do the MRI there. Good luck to you!