Living Alone during Chemo

Options
Nicel26
Nicel26 Member Posts: 1 *
edited April 16 in Ovarian Cancer #1

Will I be able to manage my chemo treatments living alone? I’m 65 and live in a RV at a beautiful RV resort on the lake. I’m starting 3 rounds 3 weeks apart - surgery- then 3 more chemo treatments. I have a neighbor who works part time so it mainly is me on my own. Anyone else manage? I do have family 2000 miles away and a son who works full time. Thanks for the advice!

Comments

• BadassMom
    BadassMom Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 24 #2
    Options

I’m in my first round of chemo now (4/11). My hysterectomy was 3/1. I’ve been pleased with my journey so far. Day 3-6 I had terrible hip/knee/ankle/heel pain in my bones and muscles. Now I’m neutropenic and working from home. I’m thankful no one else is around with the neutropenia. My doc said I would get sick from things in my own body, not from others most likely while neutropenic. I have begun curbside pick up for groceries. You will need to have a plan to eat all of your food cooked (not raw) if you become neutropenic…this has been harder for me than I realized. So far I think I’m doing well solo. My mom lives 30 minutes away and sometimes my teens are with me. I’m glad you have a local person you can call just in case. You sound pretty independent and like you have made plans to live in your RV on the lake. I’d give my right arm for a lake view during this chemo adventure. Enjoy the view and make a back up plan with your neighbor. I’m just barely started but this is my 2 cents. Good luck!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options

Nicel26, visitor from the Uterine/Endometrial board, so a gyn warrior like you. I lived alone without family around during my chemo. I would say it is doable. I was just extra careful when I went out shopping since I would be more suspectible afterwards - or delivery as already mentioned.

As noted by BadassMom, and I would agree with her on what she wrote, you do sound very independent and that is great. I did get told to "push the protein" and was able to speak with a dietician who specialized in helping cancer patients and that was helpful.