VIN 3 - Partial Vulvectomy

Options

I read these message boards before my surgery and I'm here for a little support. VIN3 doesn't seem to have much resources so like many women I thought this may be a good place for support. I'm early 40s, no HVP, never abnormal PAP, same partner for 20 years.

VIN 3 was removed by partial vulvectomy. Home the same day. Peeing the first 3 days was rough. I peed by pouring water over myself, which relieved the stinging. It was difficult to tell what had occurred in surgery due to the swelling. Ice, feet up. I thought I was healing well…

Day 12, 3 or 4 stitches popped while I was sleeping. I have done nothing while healing. Just laying around, my doc said it is common. Did anyone have popped stitches? How did you heal? Any advice?

Comments

• skippingLiz
    skippingLiz Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Uh oh! What did your doctor say? My stitches are supposed to dissolve, but I think it's supposed to take more than two weeks! I had surgery for Vin 3 a week ago. No problems yet. I've just been lazing around too. I was very surprised by how much swelling there was!

• gardener40
    gardener40 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Hi! Well, I hope you are healing up alright. Take it easy. It is a terrible procedure, but nice knowing other women are out there doing the same thing I am. Laying around. My doc said stitches dissolve in 6-8 weeks, so yea having mine pop day 12 - not much healing had occurred. Now I just have a part of the area 'open'. I guess I just have to keep it clean, as they can't stitch it back up. She also said it was very common with the location of my procedure. 🤷‍♀️

I was curious if anyone has an experience on the heal time, or how it affected their healing. Where you told a healing timeline?

• Cometsmom
    Cometsmom Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I had a partial vulvectomy with a reconstruction/flap for VIN 3 on 3/18. I also had some stitches pop, yikes more scary than painful! My dr said yes, it's pretty common for that to happen because of the tension on the wounds. As long as you're not bleeding or incredibly uncomfortable I think it'll be ok. I'm still having to wear a mini pad because of drainage (sorry, gross) which I wasn't really expecting to last this long but my dr didn't seem worried about it. Overall I'm moving around much better but I've pretty much also been laying around on the couch, no laundry, lifting etc. Monday will be 4 weeks. Other than being really remarkably tired, I think I'm healing well. My dr said it could take up to 10 weeks to really feel better.

I hope you're doing okay and continue to heal! ❤️

• gardener40
    gardener40 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thank you. This is helpful info. Have you been able to drive? Glad to hear you can move around better. You keep healing too!

• Cometsmom
    Cometsmom Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I drove about 1 week after the surgery, pretty uncomfortable. It's been getting better but I'm avoiding it whenever possible until I have to go back to work!

• skippingLiz
    skippingLiz Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I got in the driver's seat 7 days post-op, and got right back out! Nope. Even being a passenger is difficult, but it depends on the vehicle.