CSN Login
Members Online: 12

You are here

Hi all

Coldbiker's picture
Coldbiker
Posts: 19
Joined: Jan 2016

let me say hi, just starting this journey on Christmas Day 2015. Scheduled for lap partial on right kidney on Feb 3. 2.5cm Bosinak 4 cyst on top of right kidney. Also having gallbladder out so a 2fer. On my CT the cyst looks like  a jelly fish so I'm swimming with the jellies. 

icemantoo's picture
icemantoo
Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 2010

Coldbiker,

 

Welcome to the club which no one in their right mind would volunteer to join. Aren't you cutting it a little close to be up and partying for the Superbowl.

 

 

Icemantoo

Coldbiker's picture
Coldbiker
Posts: 19
Joined: Jan 2016

Ha, yeah my wife will have to drug me so I don't jump out of my chair. I imagine I would only do it once then lose all interest in the game. 

hardo718's picture
hardo718
Posts: 767
Joined: Jan 2016

This is a wonderful group of people and I'm sure you'll do fine.  Obviously caught early and that's great news.  Wish I'd found this sight a long time ago.  I'm 3 years post-op and just found this a few weeks ago.  Not sure what your location is but if possible you might want to get some ride time in before Feb 3rd, cause you won't be up to it for a bit after that.

Beware:  sense of humor lurks about on this sight.  I frequently find myself smiling or even laughing at some of the stuff people have to say.  Wish I could somehow pull all  these people out of this computer into my living room, what a blast that would be....party on!

Donna~  Laughing

Allochka's picture
Allochka
Posts: 657
Joined: Nov 2014

Welcome!

A cyst? Not a suspected cancer yet? Will keep fingers crossed for you! And another biker here, are kidney tumors bikers' prerogative? :-)

Coldbiker's picture
Coldbiker
Posts: 19
Joined: Jan 2016

I'm hoping but with a Bosinak 4 it's over 90% odds. They are hoping to only have to take about 10% of the kidney. After lurking here for some time, I noticed the number of bikers. Thanks for the kind words, I admire many of the members stories, the quiet strength That shines through the words. Bring on the humor!!

medic1971's picture
medic1971
Posts: 172
Joined: Sep 2015

Hate you had to find this place, but we are glad you are here.

 

I had two spots on my right kidney.  The primary mass was 2.2 cm and my second mass was 0.8cm.  This second mass discovered when I went for my second opinion (that second mass was on my original films not new growth between appointments)  I had a partial nephrectomy and I kept more than 95% of my right kidney.

As I tell everyone, find a urologist who is very experienced in this area.  The American Urological Association estimates the average urologist sees six cancer and non-cancer kidney tumor cases a year.  Try and find someone who does more than 6 of these a year.

 

Good luck,

Jason

Pandabear1011's picture
Pandabear1011
Posts: 110
Joined: Jun 2014

Welcome...Sounds like it was caught really early! That's great! Keep us posted after your surgery. We are here for you....Panda

daisybud's picture
daisybud
Posts: 313
Joined: Jan 2016

Hi Coldbiker,

I have an appt tomorrow and I think We might be in the same boat.  I have a 2.5x2.1x2.3 complex cyst that mri says possible malignancy.  Nobody has actually said anything about Bosniak cyst but from what I am reading def sounds like it to me.  I was wondering if they are staged and graded like RCC or if there is a different way they are staged/graded.  Anyone know about this?

Kim

donna_lee's picture
donna_lee
Posts: 761
Joined: Feb 2009

R kidney, set of nodes behind it, 1/2 the liver, and the gall bladder.  Kidney area recovery seemed to be easier than than the liver/GB.  Digestion problems, no bile storage so the liver had to dump on demand, and ended up with pancreatitis after 3 weeks.  At 6 weeks, I was gaining energy and started working out in a swimming pool.

Eat what you can, expecially low in fat items, and drink plenty of water.  I didn't say fluids 'cause that could mean left-over brewski's

Remember that anesthesia and pain meds slow everything to a standstill-let your gut be your guide.

Enjoy life and survive cancer and surgery.

Hugs,  Donna

Coldbiker's picture
Coldbiker
Posts: 19
Joined: Jan 2016

For sharing your experience. What strikes me the most is how many cases are discovered by accident while diagnosing another problem. 

Coldbiker's picture
Coldbiker
Posts: 19
Joined: Jan 2016

my Urologist explained that the Bosinak classification is based on CT scan and after removal are sent to pathology for grading/classification. good luck with your appointment, kinda takes over your attention doesn't it. Had the appointment today with surgeon doing my GB. He said his part is about 20 to 30 minutes, the kidney is a much bigger deal. Bought two cases of Progreso soup, cooked a bunch of boneless chicken breasts, frozen veggies, sugar free  frozen pops, extra cushions for my recliner. Any other suggestions for prep during recovery? My wife will be with me but she is very ill with stage 4 cancer and has limited capabilities. Yeah life is a contact sport.

 

icemantoo's picture
icemantoo
Posts: 2639
Joined: Jan 2010

Coldbiker,

 

 

One more suggestion. After about a week or 10 days have that big steak, but stay away from the Kidney Pie.

 

 

 

Icemantoo

marosa's picture
marosa
Posts: 270
Joined: Feb 2015

Yes it is not exactly a walk in the park but you will feel so glad when it's done and over!  I waited for a long and difficult month, but when the day for the surgery finally came, I was feeling calm and confident, I could even say excited!   I wish you a speedy recovery, you are almost there!!!  

hardo718's picture
hardo718
Posts: 767
Joined: Jan 2016

.....do yourself a favor and pick up a lumbar support, one of those things you can velcro around yourself.  It really helps, makes you feel like everything is going to stay together when you're trying to get up & move around.  Also, make sure you use your Incentive Spirometer (most hospitals will give you this device) for deep breathing exercises.  Really important so you don't end up with pneumonia from breathing too shallow post surgery.  The average healthy man can typically breathe in about 3500-5000cc of air, depending on age and some other factors.  If you're a smoker, might be a little less.  If you're a swimmer or play wind instruments, might be greater.  Hospital staff will typically give you a target to work toward and usually you'll want to use this device about 10 times a day for about 10 breaths at a time. 

I'm sorry to hear your wife is sick as well.  I'll keep you both in my prayers.  Best wishes and keep us posted huh.

Donna~

foxhd's picture
foxhd
Posts: 3052
Joined: Oct 2011

just remove our tumors ourselves. A bottle of tequila and an exacto knife. Measure an extra inch around the lesion and cut there. Leave clean borders and all will be fine. When people ask about the ugly scar you will make, tell them it is from your hysterectomy. Then identify yourself as Kaitlin.

Please don't take me seriously. Get healthy and we'll see you on the road this spring.

Coldbiker's picture
Coldbiker
Posts: 19
Joined: Jan 2016

trying to decide which cordless drill and hole saw to use, have tequila covered 1800. 

Footstomper's picture
Footstomper
Posts: 1238
Joined: Dec 2014

You forgot the duct tape!

hardo718's picture
hardo718
Posts: 767
Joined: Jan 2016

.....you guys crack me up!!  If you're going to give yourself a hysterectomy spell it right....HISterectomy!!  Tongue Out

(thanx for the laughs)

Donna~

Subscribe to Comments for "Hi all"