My day has finally arrived

cww71964
cww71964 Member Posts: 97
Well I am off to the hospital for my surgery. Right now I am more calm than I expected to be. I owe much of that to everyone here and the information and positive energy everyone has provided. I just want this over with and get on with life. Thanks to all and I hope to check in here in a few days.

God Bless,

Wayne
«1

Comments

  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    surgery
    Good Luck Wayne!!
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647
    Good luck today...
    Wayne,

    You'll be back to your old self before you know it. You will be fine and we expect to hear from you in a few days.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers,

    Gary
  • DMike
    DMike Member Posts: 259
    foxhd said:

    surgery
    Good Luck Wayne!!

    surgery
    Wayne,
    Good luck to you! I'll be thinking about you.
    David
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,360 Member
    garym said:

    Good luck today...
    Wayne,

    You'll be back to your old self before you know it. You will be fine and we expect to hear from you in a few days.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers,

    Gary

    Piece of Cake
    Wayne,

    Not really that easy nor is it fun. But this is the first day of the rest of your life and qualifies for full membership in the club.

    Best wishes,

    Icemantoo
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    icemantoo said:

    Piece of Cake
    Wayne,

    Not really that easy nor is it fun. But this is the first day of the rest of your life and qualifies for full membership in the club.

    Best wishes,

    Icemantoo

    Stay calm
    and more good luck wishes, from another continent.
  • Sm4pack
    Sm4pack Member Posts: 40
    Things will be ok
    Prayers being said on your behalf Wayne. I am one week ahead of you on this journey. Focus on getting through the first two days. Thing get better really fast after that. Take it easy and let your body heal post op. Looking forward to reading your post in a few days.

    Scott
  • rae_rae
    rae_rae Member Posts: 300 Member
    Sm4pack said:

    Things will be ok
    Prayers being said on your behalf Wayne. I am one week ahead of you on this journey. Focus on getting through the first two days. Thing get better really fast after that. Take it easy and let your body heal post op. Looking forward to reading your post in a few days.

    Scott

    Thoughts and prayers are
    Thoughts and prayers are with you!
  • jm3114
    jm3114 Member Posts: 8
    The Day has arrived
    Best of luck and I am sure you will be back on the Thread in a day or two.I am scheduled for 1/24 and I totally agree with you that the support from everyone that has gone through this before us is an unbelievable help and thank you to everyone for their input.

    John
  • antjeanne
    antjeanne Member Posts: 13
    It will be over before you
    It will be over before you know it! Prayers to you for a speedy and TOTAL recovery!
  • cww71964
    cww71964 Member Posts: 97
    antjeanne said:

    It will be over before you
    It will be over before you know it! Prayers to you for a speedy and TOTAL recovery!

    Checking in
    Well i am about 20 hrs post op. havent seen doc yet but he told my wife last night that it went well. I sat in a chair this morn and they want me to walk tonight. Feel good right now except hungry . Going on 44 hrs no food. Say they have to wait for my tummy to wake up. Pain is not too bad as long as i am still but sure hurts when i move. Thanks to all for being there. Forgive my grammar, the little button has bcome my friend.
  • MikeK703
    MikeK703 Member Posts: 235
    cww71964 said:

    Checking in
    Well i am about 20 hrs post op. havent seen doc yet but he told my wife last night that it went well. I sat in a chair this morn and they want me to walk tonight. Feel good right now except hungry . Going on 44 hrs no food. Say they have to wait for my tummy to wake up. Pain is not too bad as long as i am still but sure hurts when i move. Thanks to all for being there. Forgive my grammar, the little button has bcome my friend.

    Checking in
    Brings back memories. Be a good patient and do as you're told. Keep checking in to let us know how you're doing.
    regards
    Mike
  • foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    MikeK703 said:

    Checking in
    Brings back memories. Be a good patient and do as you're told. Keep checking in to let us know how you're doing.
    regards
    Mike

    checking in
    Mike is right. Brings back memories. I forgot that they didn't let me eat for a day or two before and 2 or three after surgery. Thinking back, I didn't really mind. No wonder I lost 10 pounds. Also, forgot about the "button". No question I was in pain but I think I used it because they encouraged it more than I think I needed it. I didn't even take a script home. I just moved carefully. Once I got home and the shock wore off, I got a script for percocet and needed it. Glad I had it.
  • Sm4pack
    Sm4pack Member Posts: 40
    cww71964 said:

    Checking in
    Well i am about 20 hrs post op. havent seen doc yet but he told my wife last night that it went well. I sat in a chair this morn and they want me to walk tonight. Feel good right now except hungry . Going on 44 hrs no food. Say they have to wait for my tummy to wake up. Pain is not too bad as long as i am still but sure hurts when i move. Thanks to all for being there. Forgive my grammar, the little button has bcome my friend.

    Brings back memories
    Sounds like you are doing well and progressing right on schedule. Definitely try to walk a little further each time and before you know it you'll be walking right out of the hospital. It will take a bit for your stomach to wake up. It took me until Saturday at 7:30 AM (surgery was on a Monday)before my system started back up. I am on day 9 and am off the percocet. I won't be afraid to take them if I need them, but for now I am doing quite well. Take the pain meds as long as you need them. They help your body heal. Keep us updated.

    Scott
  • cww71964
    cww71964 Member Posts: 97
    Sm4pack said:

    Brings back memories
    Sounds like you are doing well and progressing right on schedule. Definitely try to walk a little further each time and before you know it you'll be walking right out of the hospital. It will take a bit for your stomach to wake up. It took me until Saturday at 7:30 AM (surgery was on a Monday)before my system started back up. I am on day 9 and am off the percocet. I won't be afraid to take them if I need them, but for now I am doing quite well. Take the pain meds as long as you need them. They help your body heal. Keep us updated.

    Scott

    walking,coughing
    Just took my first walk, maybe 50ft, felt good plus it helped dislodge some mucus I have been fighting today. Coughing is very painful.
  • MikeK703
    MikeK703 Member Posts: 235
    cww71964 said:

    walking,coughing
    Just took my first walk, maybe 50ft, felt good plus it helped dislodge some mucus I have been fighting today. Coughing is very painful.

    walking, coughing
    Let's hope you don't sneeze. I remember doing that a few times. Ouch!
  • tom_in_VT
    tom_in_VT Member Posts: 25
    cww71964 said:

    walking,coughing
    Just took my first walk, maybe 50ft, felt good plus it helped dislodge some mucus I have been fighting today. Coughing is very painful.

    the day after
    Wayne

    I'm very happy you've made it to where you have. I too made ~50' on my first jaunt, that's fabulous. Tomorrow you'll be buzzin all over :-) Remember to eat the elephant one bite at a time. Thankfully, you have the rest of your days to walk the next 100 miles. We're all very proud of where you are as we've been there as well. Lots of liquid, pain pills when scheduled, laxatives(!!!), breath deep w/ that plastic item they gave you and take it slow. Today I am 4 weeks out of surgery and am feeling mostly good - it takes some time but thankfully you have it!

    Be well
    Tom
  • rae_rae
    rae_rae Member Posts: 300 Member
    tom_in_VT said:

    the day after
    Wayne

    I'm very happy you've made it to where you have. I too made ~50' on my first jaunt, that's fabulous. Tomorrow you'll be buzzin all over :-) Remember to eat the elephant one bite at a time. Thankfully, you have the rest of your days to walk the next 100 miles. We're all very proud of where you are as we've been there as well. Lots of liquid, pain pills when scheduled, laxatives(!!!), breath deep w/ that plastic item they gave you and take it slow. Today I am 4 weeks out of surgery and am feeling mostly good - it takes some time but thankfully you have it!

    Be well
    Tom

    If you aren't already, use
    If you aren't already, use a small pillow to hold over your incision when you cough. I fought off a fever/pneumonia for four days in the hospital by coughing up a lot of green goo. My pillow went on every walk around the halls. Yes it is very painful.
  • Texas_wedge
    Texas_wedge Member Posts: 2,798
    rae_rae said:

    If you aren't already, use
    If you aren't already, use a small pillow to hold over your incision when you cough. I fought off a fever/pneumonia for four days in the hospital by coughing up a lot of green goo. My pillow went on every walk around the halls. Yes it is very painful.

    Hold your side
    That's a really good piece of practical advice. I still often hold my side, with a cushion if I have one to hand.
  • garym
    garym Member Posts: 1,647

    Hold your side
    That's a really good piece of practical advice. I still often hold my side, with a cushion if I have one to hand.

    20 hrs...
    cww71964,

    WOW, 20 hrs post-op and back on the board, that just might be a record. Glad to hear you are doing so well, but expect the next couple days to be a bit bumpy and take it easy for awhile. Follow the advice above.

    Welcome back,

    Gary
  • cww71964
    cww71964 Member Posts: 97
    garym said:

    20 hrs...
    cww71964,

    WOW, 20 hrs post-op and back on the board, that just might be a record. Glad to hear you are doing so well, but expect the next couple days to be a bit bumpy and take it easy for awhile. Follow the advice above.

    Welcome back,

    Gary

    Shower today!
    I was able to get myself out of bed and into the shower today. Wife helped with shower though. Dr ok'd some jello which was the best jello i ever had since i hadn't had food since monday. I hope i get to go home tomorrow. Thanks to all.

    Wayne