Just scheduled my surgery

CharlieG
CharlieG Member Posts: 67
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Tuesday, 9/14. Now the countdown begins...

Comments

  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 931 Member
    How did you do that on a
    How did you do that on a Sunday?
  • CharlieG
    CharlieG Member Posts: 67
    Trew said:

    How did you do that on a
    How did you do that on a Sunday?

    Well, actually scheduled it on Friday
    Tonight is the first night I was able to get to my computer and get online.

    I was diagnosed in March (at age 51) and have been doing my research, talking to people and reading this board as often as I can.

    I am following in the footsteps of my 10 year older brother who went through this 10 years ago. He is a very valuable counselor to me these days.
  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    Charlie: Good luck on your
    Charlie: Good luck on your upcoming surgery. Are you having Davinci? Where are you having the surgery?

    Glad to hear that you have a support system with your brother.

    larry age 55
    Davinci in Aug 2009
  • jminnj
    jminnj Member Posts: 129
    lewvino said:

    Charlie: Good luck on your
    Charlie: Good luck on your upcoming surgery. Are you having Davinci? Where are you having the surgery?

    Glad to hear that you have a support system with your brother.

    larry age 55
    Davinci in Aug 2009

    Good Luck
    Charlie,

    Good luck on the surgery. Keep us posted on how you are doing

    Joe
    Age 48
    Davinci in Jan 2010
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 931 Member
    CharlieG said:

    Well, actually scheduled it on Friday
    Tonight is the first night I was able to get to my computer and get online.

    I was diagnosed in March (at age 51) and have been doing my research, talking to people and reading this board as often as I can.

    I am following in the footsteps of my 10 year older brother who went through this 10 years ago. He is a very valuable counselor to me these days.

    Question RE Treatment
    So your brother isn't havong any incontinency or ED problems since his surgery?

    I'm wondering if yu considered proton Therapy, and if so why didn't you go that way?

    I never fully recovered from surgery and radiation pretty much finished me off.


    If I had a Gleason with any score 6 or lower, I would never even consdier surgery for a miro second. Just too much risk with surgery for complications.

    Ooops, I apologize. There are no easy decisions with this thingie that gets us men. I do wish you well with whatever venueof treatment you decide on.
  • chitown
    chitown Member Posts: 90
    Goodluck - my surgery experience has been good
    I am 48 and turning 49 this weekend. Had my Da Vinci surgery on june 15. In about 5 weeks my incontinence is minimal and had first intercourse (assisted by Levitra) in 4th week after surgery. There are residual pain and problems but overall the recovery has been good. Realize every human body is different and produces different results, but to improve the odds get your body in best shape before your surgery with diet, exercise and your spirituality of choice
  • CharlieG
    CharlieG Member Posts: 67
    lewvino said:

    Charlie: Good luck on your
    Charlie: Good luck on your upcoming surgery. Are you having Davinci? Where are you having the surgery?

    Glad to hear that you have a support system with your brother.

    larry age 55
    Davinci in Aug 2009

    Scheduled Surgery
    I am opting for the open radical. My Dr. can do both (DuPage Urologists, however, they have much less experience with DaVinci. I am no expert (obviously) and I can only go by what I read and hear.

    Sounds to me like either surgery sucks - DaVinci has a quicker recovery and less pain (perhaps). However, I have listened to multiple survivors of both surgeries and I am more concerned with ridding my body of the invading cancer and less concerned about a day or two less in the hospital or with the cath (universally one of the most suckable parts).

    Sounds like the open allows the Doc to feel arround and do some other stuff, if needed, while in there. One go round here is enough for me...

    My Brother had the radical at Hopkins in 2000 and is still cancer free (my goal). He is fine incontinence wise but has had ED.

    I am shooting for another 30 - 40 years of life and if I dribble a little or can't get an errection, well at least I am still playing golf and riding my motorcycle and otherwise living.
  • griff 1
    griff 1 Member Posts: 114
    chitown said:

    Goodluck - my surgery experience has been good
    I am 48 and turning 49 this weekend. Had my Da Vinci surgery on june 15. In about 5 weeks my incontinence is minimal and had first intercourse (assisted by Levitra) in 4th week after surgery. There are residual pain and problems but overall the recovery has been good. Realize every human body is different and produces different results, but to improve the odds get your body in best shape before your surgery with diet, exercise and your spirituality of choice

    chitown
    my surgery seems to have been good. had it on june 23rd and doing good on the pads, about 2 a day. that is pretty good and nighttime i wake up to go, anyway newcomer good luck and all will be good. griff
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 803 Member
    CharlieG said:

    Scheduled Surgery
    I am opting for the open radical. My Dr. can do both (DuPage Urologists, however, they have much less experience with DaVinci. I am no expert (obviously) and I can only go by what I read and hear.

    Sounds to me like either surgery sucks - DaVinci has a quicker recovery and less pain (perhaps). However, I have listened to multiple survivors of both surgeries and I am more concerned with ridding my body of the invading cancer and less concerned about a day or two less in the hospital or with the cath (universally one of the most suckable parts).

    Sounds like the open allows the Doc to feel arround and do some other stuff, if needed, while in there. One go round here is enough for me...

    My Brother had the radical at Hopkins in 2000 and is still cancer free (my goal). He is fine incontinence wise but has had ED.

    I am shooting for another 30 - 40 years of life and if I dribble a little or can't get an errection, well at least I am still playing golf and riding my motorcycle and otherwise living.

    I selected the same path as
    I selected the same path as you and I agree with many of your points… 20 weeks yesterday I had the surgery and I am dry (since day one), still working the ED stuff but I am progressing with one nerve bundled saved (the extension is why I had the surgery to give the surgeon the best view and control on what was removed)..4 weeks after surgery I was doing 50 miles a week and now 20 weeks out I have been surfing (7 weeks now) most of the summer (major core workout plus doing about 35 miles per week) with no issues…but In reality I believe that it will take me closer to a year to get back to pre surgery physical shape and that is if I have no other issues along the way….

    The surgeries will change you forever but for me it has been a good change and has brought a new perspective to my life….

    Enjoy the journey…

    BD…55 years old
  • tomdmiles
    tomdmiles Member Posts: 1
    CharlieG said:

    Scheduled Surgery
    I am opting for the open radical. My Dr. can do both (DuPage Urologists, however, they have much less experience with DaVinci. I am no expert (obviously) and I can only go by what I read and hear.

    Sounds to me like either surgery sucks - DaVinci has a quicker recovery and less pain (perhaps). However, I have listened to multiple survivors of both surgeries and I am more concerned with ridding my body of the invading cancer and less concerned about a day or two less in the hospital or with the cath (universally one of the most suckable parts).

    Sounds like the open allows the Doc to feel arround and do some other stuff, if needed, while in there. One go round here is enough for me...

    My Brother had the radical at Hopkins in 2000 and is still cancer free (my goal). He is fine incontinence wise but has had ED.

    I am shooting for another 30 - 40 years of life and if I dribble a little or can't get an errection, well at least I am still playing golf and riding my motorcycle and otherwise living.

    Good luck with your surgery. I had DaVinci on June 15th, 2006 (age 57). I was first patient to have DaVinci surgery at Sarasota Memorial Hosp (FL) and also was my doctor's first DaVinci patient (he was experienced open rad surgeon).

    I was in the hospital 22 hrs post-op, catheter out in 5 days, and holding my water 10 days later. Erections took awhile to come back (about a year). Viagra and the like made me too ill to care about sex, so I'm not sure if they would have helped or not.

    I am quite pleased with decision to go with "the robot", and it was only confidence I had developed in my doctor in the two years of biopsies before diagnosis that led me to trust him and go first with the DaVinci.
  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    tomdmiles said:

    Good luck with your surgery. I had DaVinci on June 15th, 2006 (age 57). I was first patient to have DaVinci surgery at Sarasota Memorial Hosp (FL) and also was my doctor's first DaVinci patient (he was experienced open rad surgeon).

    I was in the hospital 22 hrs post-op, catheter out in 5 days, and holding my water 10 days later. Erections took awhile to come back (about a year). Viagra and the like made me too ill to care about sex, so I'm not sure if they would have helped or not.

    I am quite pleased with decision to go with "the robot", and it was only confidence I had developed in my doctor in the two years of biopsies before diagnosis that led me to trust him and go first with the DaVinci.

    Thanks for sharing your
    Thanks for sharing your story.
    I know someone has to be 'first' for the doctor and was allways curious how they did.

    Glad that things are working out for you.

    I had my davinci Aug. 11, 2009 at Vanderbilt with Dr. Smith who had performed several thousand when it was my 'turn' LOL.

    I've also been very pleased with my outcome. Dry from the day the cath came out and Levitra started working about 3 months post surgery and been gettng better monthly. Some days don't even need it.

    Larry age 55
  • chitown
    chitown Member Posts: 90
    griff 1 said:

    chitown
    my surgery seems to have been good. had it on june 23rd and doing good on the pads, about 2 a day. that is pretty good and nighttime i wake up to go, anyway newcomer good luck and all will be good. griff

    doing good with ED and continence - but other problems
    Masturbation is key! Now I have the attention and its true. Had decent intercourse with Levitra on 4th week and get a woody almost every morning and no needs for pads now. Starting trimix in 2 weeks that was delayed to problem 1) penis pain! I was to start injection 3rd week but with some blood in urine and pressure type pain, that was delayed. Now no blood but some pain after urination and off and on...getting better. Can't wait for trimix of a full strength blood supply 2-3 times a week for 3 month. My doc says after 6 months things start becoming normal and then at 10 months this will get close to before surgery. The organsm are short but more intense. Earlier the organsm were different all the time, as the body seems to be adjusting, but are stabilizing now. I think they are shorter as there is no more prostate contraction and squeezing and no few extra seconds for semen transport and release.

    Problem 2) is 2 infected incision ports. Will put new thread on it