Western Medicine vs. Natural Healing

llight
llight Member Posts: 99
edited March 2014 in Uterine Cancer #1
I’ve made a few informational posts recently “Anticancer info online” and “Vitamin D3 and cancer.” I wanted to post a new thread to articulate something I’ve learned which has helped me put some things in perspective. This may help some of you. (fyi, I have academic training and professional experience as an information researcher).

Bear with me. I’ve tried to keep this as short as possible.

Pharmaceutical companies can only patent synthetic or laboratory-made agents. By making something in the laboratory they can patent it, “own” it, and make money off of it. Pharmaceutical companies are not invested in anything Mother Nature makes because natural substances cannot be patented; no money to be made.

It is for this reason there are VERY few studies on natural substances; no money to be made.

New medicines are tested in clinical trials overseen by the FDA, et al. Clinical trials cost a lot of money and are funded in majority by corporate interests. If these medicines, show statistical advantage in treating a disease (and with minimal side effects), they can make a lot of money for the pharmaceutical companies and their share holders for the life of a patent, on average around 10 years. After that, the drug becomes “generic” and other companies can manufacture the drug. This brings the price down. But while it’s under patent, there’s a lot of money to be made. And because it’s a new drug, there’s less real world experience with it and as time goes by more is learned about it because it is being used by a larger population. With the most recently approved drugs, we are the guinea pigs.

Doctors can run into legal liability problems if they don’t use evidence based medicine (exception is off-label use …not going there in this discussion). That means the majority of treatments are with patented medicines. Some doctors are open to compelling anecdotal evidence about natural substances and may be understanding when you talk to them on this subject, but they can’t prescribe anything natural because, again, there are usually no clinical studies to back them up and they don’t want to assume a legal liability. Also, I hate to say this but it’s true, many doctors are wooed by pharmaceutical companies and given pricey vacations and perks to manipulate them into distributing their drug. Some ethical doctors have written about this.

Anyway, hence our frustration and confusion at being pulled at times in two directions when it comes to western medical practices and wanting to use natural means to heal ourselves.

The main thing to remember is pharmaceutical companies have no vested interest in promoting diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes because theses treatments are free. Doctors are focused on clinical evidence for legal liability reasons.


Another thing I want to add is when looking at research on natural substances, please check out the source. Anyone can post anything on the Internet and/or write a book and make it look/seem authoritative. Always check the “About Us” page of a website to see who is behind it…ask yourself, “Do they really have any academic or substantial background in this?” Dig a little to find the authority. Do the same for authors of books. Scientific researchers who are spurred to research the benefits of natural compounds are the most credible (possess academic credentials, usually doctorates, and understand the sound rules of research). Remember they are not in it for the money, but the truth.

”All truth passes through three stages.
First: it is ridiculed.
Second: it is violently opposed.
Third: it is accepted as being self-evident.”
-Schopenhauer

Comments

  • norma2
    norma2 Member Posts: 479
    Great information!!!
    Thanks for sharing this information. Guess it all boils down to each of us making the most informed decisions concerning our health. I hope all is well with you. May we all find health and peace of mind.
  • bea-mil
    bea-mil Member Posts: 108
    Thank you
    I knew that for years. Thank you for having courage and bringing this subject to the light.
    In an ancient Chinese world doctors were paid when patients got better if not their salary were reduced. In our world doctors get more money only if the patient will persist to be sick for a long time and become a “repetitive client”. This is why they try to come up with the drugs which extend our life span for a while but not cure us totally so they have continued money flow. The drugs with the side effects are the best, even if they have luck and cure the first disease a patient will always comeback with the new one. This is all business, and it is very sad. But what the patient can do? It is easy to refuse a drug if we have a stomach ache, we know that the camomile or peppermint tea will help, but if someone is facing a life threatening disease we are too scared to go other direction. At least I know how hard it was for me.
    Bea
  • jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379
    bea-mil said:

    Thank you
    I knew that for years. Thank you for having courage and bringing this subject to the light.
    In an ancient Chinese world doctors were paid when patients got better if not their salary were reduced. In our world doctors get more money only if the patient will persist to be sick for a long time and become a “repetitive client”. This is why they try to come up with the drugs which extend our life span for a while but not cure us totally so they have continued money flow. The drugs with the side effects are the best, even if they have luck and cure the first disease a patient will always comeback with the new one. This is all business, and it is very sad. But what the patient can do? It is easy to refuse a drug if we have a stomach ache, we know that the camomile or peppermint tea will help, but if someone is facing a life threatening disease we are too scared to go other direction. At least I know how hard it was for me.
    Bea

    Great Information~
    I've been raised to do all the naturals for my body and allow it to heal itself, if I give it the proper nutrients, exercise and rest. I thought I had it under control but then the big "C" hit me and blew me out of the waters.

    I'm one to never, ever give up and do know docs are paid under the table to push their pharmaceutidcal co's drugs....read it in the papers, too. I have every single one of my docs always ask how I am doing and if had aches and pains, here take this med. NO!!!! I try anything but the meds. At start of my chemo treatments I spoke with my oncol what I took as far as nutrients/vitamins and foods I ate. He claimed to not have a feel for the vitamins as they have no clinicals and/or statistics. Told me to do what I felt was best, but to be easy on too many, at least during treatments. To this day he's always wanting to add more meds, but tell him No I'll try this or that -- vitamins, exercise or certain foods. If that doesn't work, I'll look at the drugs...gosh hope never to go that route ever.

    I was involved with a company in my local market as a distributor. This company manufacturered natural vitamins in the powder form. I sold them for years and had extensive training. Be careful as none of the vitamins are approved by the FDA. They can tell you this or that will cure your cancer if you take it, but not always true. Since these co's aren't monitored by government agency their reps/distributors can tell you anything.

    I'll stick with my vitamins and great natural foods to hopefully help to never see cancer return.

    Bea, I agree with life threatening diseases we tend to get scared and not trut the homeopathic ways, therefore, go with the Western treatments. I went this route with chemo & radiation and am now doing the natural food route hoping it helps.

    Jan
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member
    jazzy1 said:

    Great Information~
    I've been raised to do all the naturals for my body and allow it to heal itself, if I give it the proper nutrients, exercise and rest. I thought I had it under control but then the big "C" hit me and blew me out of the waters.

    I'm one to never, ever give up and do know docs are paid under the table to push their pharmaceutidcal co's drugs....read it in the papers, too. I have every single one of my docs always ask how I am doing and if had aches and pains, here take this med. NO!!!! I try anything but the meds. At start of my chemo treatments I spoke with my oncol what I took as far as nutrients/vitamins and foods I ate. He claimed to not have a feel for the vitamins as they have no clinicals and/or statistics. Told me to do what I felt was best, but to be easy on too many, at least during treatments. To this day he's always wanting to add more meds, but tell him No I'll try this or that -- vitamins, exercise or certain foods. If that doesn't work, I'll look at the drugs...gosh hope never to go that route ever.

    I was involved with a company in my local market as a distributor. This company manufacturered natural vitamins in the powder form. I sold them for years and had extensive training. Be careful as none of the vitamins are approved by the FDA. They can tell you this or that will cure your cancer if you take it, but not always true. Since these co's aren't monitored by government agency their reps/distributors can tell you anything.

    I'll stick with my vitamins and great natural foods to hopefully help to never see cancer return.

    Bea, I agree with life threatening diseases we tend to get scared and not trut the homeopathic ways, therefore, go with the Western treatments. I went this route with chemo & radiation and am now doing the natural food route hoping it helps.

    Jan

    thank you, llight
    Dr. Servan Schreiber makes this point in his AntiCancer book.

    Maybe, just maybe if we keep on our docs about natural foods that they will be more receptive to changing their thinking. I think that the MD Anderson doing research with Dr. Servan Schrieber that this will definitely help.

    It's all about the money, sad to say.
  • california_artist
    california_artist Member Posts: 816 Member
    bea-mil said:

    Thank you
    I knew that for years. Thank you for having courage and bringing this subject to the light.
    In an ancient Chinese world doctors were paid when patients got better if not their salary were reduced. In our world doctors get more money only if the patient will persist to be sick for a long time and become a “repetitive client”. This is why they try to come up with the drugs which extend our life span for a while but not cure us totally so they have continued money flow. The drugs with the side effects are the best, even if they have luck and cure the first disease a patient will always comeback with the new one. This is all business, and it is very sad. But what the patient can do? It is easy to refuse a drug if we have a stomach ache, we know that the camomile or peppermint tea will help, but if someone is facing a life threatening disease we are too scared to go other direction. At least I know how hard it was for me.
    Bea

    Bea
    Not all of us are too scared to go other directions.

    Love,

    Claudia

    that dvd, Healing from the inside out --goes into the two differing camps of medicine in a very interesting way. See if your library has it.
  • california_artist
    california_artist Member Posts: 816 Member
    beacon of light
    Don't you think that with the insurance companies now having to cover everyone and not just the healthiest among us, that they will be looking for inexpensive ways to cure all the sick folks? and what better way than with natural cures. Works for the majority of eastern countries, why not here.

    claudia
  • culka
    culka Member Posts: 149 Member

    beacon of light
    Don't you think that with the insurance companies now having to cover everyone and not just the healthiest among us, that they will be looking for inexpensive ways to cure all the sick folks? and what better way than with natural cures. Works for the majority of eastern countries, why not here.

    claudia

    Oh Claudia,
    it is like beginning of the movie The Food Matters. Good health make lot of sense, but not enough dollars
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member
    culka said:

    Oh Claudia,
    it is like beginning of the movie The Food Matters. Good health make lot of sense, but not enough dollars

    Web MD article about the Mediterranean diet to fight cancer
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/benefits-mediterranean-diet?ecd=wnl_can_072010
  • culka
    culka Member Posts: 149 Member
  • bea-mil
    bea-mil Member Posts: 108
    culka said:
    Thank you Culka
    Beautiful story, this is my way of thinking.
  • culka
    culka Member Posts: 149 Member
    bea-mil said:

    Thank you Culka
    Beautiful story, this is my way of thinking.

    Your welcome
    I put it there for you.