not a good day

vinny59
vinny59 Member Posts: 1,032
Hey guy's just checking in, had my blood work done today, WBC counts were under 1, had to get two shot's today! lucky me!!! hahahaha, I feel that I can talk about anything here so here it goes, has anyone had bad hemorrhoids. I have been talking stool softers and it is working to some degree but, this is really killing me, more pain then the Chemo and shot's combined. My Oncologist said that this can be dangerous with all the bacteria that this can cause, any suggestions... Thanks
«1

Comments

  • dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043
    suggestion
    Sorry Vinnie, but the stool softeners did nothing for me and I was taking them daily for a few days before and many days after treatment. The only thing that helped was acupuncture for this as crazy as that sounds.

    Good luck!
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    not a good day
    Vinny, my GI doc gave me something called polyethylene glycol 3350 when I had my colonoscopy. It really works well. Its easy on the digestive tract too. Really sorry to hear about the low blood count. I was fortunate with mine. I do have to go in today and get the neulastra shot. Hopefully the blood count will come up shortly for you. I am sure all will be okay. It will delay your next round for a little while, but that is the purpose of the blood work. John
  • kayebadoe
    kayebadoe Member Posts: 81
    Stool softners did nothing
    Stool softners did nothing for me try Miralax
  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,032
    COBRA666 said:

    not a good day
    Vinny, my GI doc gave me something called polyethylene glycol 3350 when I had my colonoscopy. It really works well. Its easy on the digestive tract too. Really sorry to hear about the low blood count. I was fortunate with mine. I do have to go in today and get the neulastra shot. Hopefully the blood count will come up shortly for you. I am sure all will be okay. It will delay your next round for a little while, but that is the purpose of the blood work. John

    not a good day
    hey John, that's why I guess she gave me two shoots, so I will not miss, in fact they moved me to Monday instead of Wednesday!
  • Hoppy23
    Hoppy23 Member Posts: 26
    Hello Vinny. Sorry about
    Hello Vinny. Sorry about your WBC counts. My husband's counts are always low and he ends up having anything from 6 to 8 Neupogen shots between every round of chemo.

    He also had hemmroids issues, but having a breakfast that consists of an all bran cereal with cold milk seems to help a lot. He even adds raisnins to his cereal or dried prunes, they are miraculous. Miralax is always on the shelf too if you think nothing works. Hope this goes away soon, as your doctor said, bacterial infections could be bad, esp. with low counts. Hope you feel better soon.
  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,032
    Hoppy23 said:

    Hello Vinny. Sorry about
    Hello Vinny. Sorry about your WBC counts. My husband's counts are always low and he ends up having anything from 6 to 8 Neupogen shots between every round of chemo.

    He also had hemmroids issues, but having a breakfast that consists of an all bran cereal with cold milk seems to help a lot. He even adds raisnins to his cereal or dried prunes, they are miraculous. Miralax is always on the shelf too if you think nothing works. Hope this goes away soon, as your doctor said, bacterial infections could be bad, esp. with low counts. Hope you feel better soon.

    thanks Hoppy23
    Thanks for your response, your husband sounds like me, always real low WBC's after Chemo, my Oncologist said that its probably because I had Chemo with my head and Neck cancer three years ago. Crazy how that stuff lingers....... Vinny
  • markstevenvegas
    markstevenvegas Member Posts: 11
    vinny59 said:

    thanks Hoppy23
    Thanks for your response, your husband sounds like me, always real low WBC's after Chemo, my Oncologist said that its probably because I had Chemo with my head and Neck cancer three years ago. Crazy how that stuff lingers....... Vinny

    Vinny
    I hope by now your finding some comfort. That is just miserable on top of all the other nasty side effects we have to deal with as a result of the chemo. I had 5 R-CHOP earlier this year. I'll share some things that helped me. Maybe one or two will work for you. I learned very quickly that the prednisone was a major cause of constipation. However, we have to take them. I also learned very early on that the anti-nausea meds were also a major contributor to constipation. I refused to take them and chose to lie down instead if I felt nausious. I also learned that the sleeping aid they prescribed (in my case, they gave me Zanax) was also a major contributor of constipation. I did take these but I only took one at night before going to bed. With all these meds working against us it's easy to get constipated and I was miserable for 7 days directly following my first two cycles before I finally decided to change a few things. In addition to managing the meds as I described above. I ate a very high fiber diet and at least one of my meals each day included an enormous amout of steamed spinach. I ate several apples each day. I took 3 over the counter stool softeners before going to bed per my Drs. recommendation even though the bottle said "take 1". I also, kept a hot water bottle over my colon for about an hour each evening while watching TV that I bought at the drugstore. And lastly, if I did not have a bowel movement in the a.m., I administered an enema. As a result of all these things, it made my last 3 cycles alot better. I was so much more comfortable. Of course you can also try a sitz bath with epsom salt and warm water to reduce the inflamation. I did not have the roids but I had horrible constipation until I tried the things that worked for me. As you know constipation can be a major contributor to getting roids. Hope it helps and hope your counts have spiked back up! . Mark
  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,032

    Vinny
    I hope by now your finding some comfort. That is just miserable on top of all the other nasty side effects we have to deal with as a result of the chemo. I had 5 R-CHOP earlier this year. I'll share some things that helped me. Maybe one or two will work for you. I learned very quickly that the prednisone was a major cause of constipation. However, we have to take them. I also learned very early on that the anti-nausea meds were also a major contributor to constipation. I refused to take them and chose to lie down instead if I felt nausious. I also learned that the sleeping aid they prescribed (in my case, they gave me Zanax) was also a major contributor of constipation. I did take these but I only took one at night before going to bed. With all these meds working against us it's easy to get constipated and I was miserable for 7 days directly following my first two cycles before I finally decided to change a few things. In addition to managing the meds as I described above. I ate a very high fiber diet and at least one of my meals each day included an enormous amout of steamed spinach. I ate several apples each day. I took 3 over the counter stool softeners before going to bed per my Drs. recommendation even though the bottle said "take 1". I also, kept a hot water bottle over my colon for about an hour each evening while watching TV that I bought at the drugstore. And lastly, if I did not have a bowel movement in the a.m., I administered an enema. As a result of all these things, it made my last 3 cycles alot better. I was so much more comfortable. Of course you can also try a sitz bath with epsom salt and warm water to reduce the inflamation. I did not have the roids but I had horrible constipation until I tried the things that worked for me. As you know constipation can be a major contributor to getting roids. Hope it helps and hope your counts have spiked back up! . Mark

    mark
    Mark, thanks for all the good information, I'm using a sitz bath with a little witch hazel, interesting about the anti-nausea med's,I will try to rough it and take them less often. It's funny about what you said about us having to deal with this also, I really try not to complain but stuff like this drive's me nuts!!!!!! The funny thing is, it can be so much worse. I had a talk with my Onc about what are the next step's if this treatment is not working, she kind of side stepped the question by saying stem cell and different Chemo, but like I said it can be a lot worse!!! Thanks again Vinny
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    vinny59 said:

    mark
    Mark, thanks for all the good information, I'm using a sitz bath with a little witch hazel, interesting about the anti-nausea med's,I will try to rough it and take them less often. It's funny about what you said about us having to deal with this also, I really try not to complain but stuff like this drive's me nuts!!!!!! The funny thing is, it can be so much worse. I had a talk with my Onc about what are the next step's if this treatment is not working, she kind of side stepped the question by saying stem cell and different Chemo, but like I said it can be a lot worse!!! Thanks again Vinny

    NOT A GOOD DAY
    Hang in there man, we're with you all the way. We are all thinking of you. Hold on a second I got too stuff my mouth full of food while I am typing. Love that predisone, yes sir. John
  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,032
    COBRA666 said:

    NOT A GOOD DAY
    Hang in there man, we're with you all the way. We are all thinking of you. Hold on a second I got too stuff my mouth full of food while I am typing. Love that predisone, yes sir. John

    food
    John, that is so funny, I was up at 1am making blueberry muffins!!! I love to cook and bake, my wife is laughing at me, we can't believe that I still have such a appetite, it is a stark contrast from the last time I recieved Chemo!!!!!!! That is one positive that I keep telling myself!!!!!
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    vinny59 said:

    food
    John, that is so funny, I was up at 1am making blueberry muffins!!! I love to cook and bake, my wife is laughing at me, we can't believe that I still have such a appetite, it is a stark contrast from the last time I recieved Chemo!!!!!!! That is one positive that I keep telling myself!!!!!

    FOOD
    Vinny, Yea the prednisone makes me feel like a bottomless pit. I guess I should enjoy it because I expect my taste to turn to a metal flavor anytime now. It took about a week last go-round and lasted about 6 days. The tiredness has already kicked in. The anti nausea medicine does its job pretty well though. I am starting to feel the lower back pain, only this time its in both sides of the kidney ares. I am assuming it is actually the hips producing those baby blood cells from the $10,000 neulastra shot. So glad for the insurance.I am sure you are dragged out by now. Hope that extra shot you got helped you with your blood count. Just take it easy and talk to you later. John
  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,032
    COBRA666 said:

    FOOD
    Vinny, Yea the prednisone makes me feel like a bottomless pit. I guess I should enjoy it because I expect my taste to turn to a metal flavor anytime now. It took about a week last go-round and lasted about 6 days. The tiredness has already kicked in. The anti nausea medicine does its job pretty well though. I am starting to feel the lower back pain, only this time its in both sides of the kidney ares. I am assuming it is actually the hips producing those baby blood cells from the $10,000 neulastra shot. So glad for the insurance.I am sure you are dragged out by now. Hope that extra shot you got helped you with your blood count. Just take it easy and talk to you later. John

    food
    Wow that's how much it is! That's a 20,000. shot!!!!! Funny you said about lower back pain, I have been getting it more often now. You take it easy to my friend..... Vinny
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    vinny59 said:

    food
    Wow that's how much it is! That's a 20,000. shot!!!!! Funny you said about lower back pain, I have been getting it more often now. You take it easy to my friend..... Vinny

    FOOD
    Yep, thats how much it cost. The onc. nurse pointed it out the first time I got mine. She said its a good thing we have good insurance because some peoples insurance do not cover it and they can not get the shot. Its a shame and I really feel for those people. We need this shot to pull our blood counts back up. Whats it all coming too? They did suggest drinking ensure and the center where I go offers it for $7 a 24pk case. If you start to lose your appetite, which I will shortly, check to see if they offer the same where you go. Its just a suggestion for all who lose their appetite. At least we will get our required vits. and minerals.
    Oh yea, if your hips are hurting that is probably a good sign the shot is working. John
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    COBRA666 said:

    FOOD
    Yep, thats how much it cost. The onc. nurse pointed it out the first time I got mine. She said its a good thing we have good insurance because some peoples insurance do not cover it and they can not get the shot. Its a shame and I really feel for those people. We need this shot to pull our blood counts back up. Whats it all coming too? They did suggest drinking ensure and the center where I go offers it for $7 a 24pk case. If you start to lose your appetite, which I will shortly, check to see if they offer the same where you go. Its just a suggestion for all who lose their appetite. At least we will get our required vits. and minerals.
    Oh yea, if your hips are hurting that is probably a good sign the shot is working. John

    hey Vinny
    good ole fashioned

    hey Vinny

    good ole fashioned prunes my friend!

    I only need to HEAR the word constipated and i'm bunged up! LOL

    Stool softeners never do anything for me.I've tried the lot (i have irritable bowel syndrome but the constipated one-not the diarrhoea one!)

    A proper laxative could be used as a last resort but these cab make the bowel even more lazy and it wont contract to move things along naturally.

    Avoid food like eggs and bananas as they bind you up. I found high fibre made me worse,ie,brown bread,rice.pasta etc. It clogged me up even more. But everyones different. Pure orange juice is good (not Sunny D but the real stuff).

    I had trouble with my WBC after my 5th chemo and it refused to go back up and they had to forfeit my 6th and final round of chemo. This was bitter-sweet,as i was glad i didnt have to get the chemo,but for reassurance,they gave me 4 weeks of mantle rads and thats what given my high BC risk,amongst others.


    happy pooping! =D
  • vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,032
    m-star said:

    hey Vinny
    good ole fashioned

    hey Vinny

    good ole fashioned prunes my friend!

    I only need to HEAR the word constipated and i'm bunged up! LOL

    Stool softeners never do anything for me.I've tried the lot (i have irritable bowel syndrome but the constipated one-not the diarrhoea one!)

    A proper laxative could be used as a last resort but these cab make the bowel even more lazy and it wont contract to move things along naturally.

    Avoid food like eggs and bananas as they bind you up. I found high fibre made me worse,ie,brown bread,rice.pasta etc. It clogged me up even more. But everyones different. Pure orange juice is good (not Sunny D but the real stuff).

    I had trouble with my WBC after my 5th chemo and it refused to go back up and they had to forfeit my 6th and final round of chemo. This was bitter-sweet,as i was glad i didnt have to get the chemo,but for reassurance,they gave me 4 weeks of mantle rads and thats what given my high BC risk,amongst others.


    happy pooping! =D

    prunes
    LMAO!!!!! I'm trying them too, I think I got it figured out with the stool softeners, I take 3, seems to be helping.... we sound a like ,tummy wise, I have IBS too....... How are you doing now after your mantle rads???? Vinny
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    COBRA666 said:

    FOOD
    Vinny, Yea the prednisone makes me feel like a bottomless pit. I guess I should enjoy it because I expect my taste to turn to a metal flavor anytime now. It took about a week last go-round and lasted about 6 days. The tiredness has already kicked in. The anti nausea medicine does its job pretty well though. I am starting to feel the lower back pain, only this time its in both sides of the kidney ares. I am assuming it is actually the hips producing those baby blood cells from the $10,000 neulastra shot. So glad for the insurance.I am sure you are dragged out by now. Hope that extra shot you got helped you with your blood count. Just take it easy and talk to you later. John

    $10,000 neulastra shot.
    Hi John...What do people do if their insurance doesn't cover the shot..do without? Is there a cheaper substitute and if not, does that mean the ones that do without won't do as well? Thats a scary thought..ya know?
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    allmost60 said:

    $10,000 neulastra shot.
    Hi John...What do people do if their insurance doesn't cover the shot..do without? Is there a cheaper substitute and if not, does that mean the ones that do without won't do as well? Thats a scary thought..ya know?

    $10,000 neulastra shot
    Sue,nuelastra is the only thing available right now. Thats why it cost so much. The drug company set the price high just for that reason. They have no competition with no generic brand. It all boils down to money and those that have good insurance or deep pockets shall recieve. It sounds so morbid, but thats how it is when money is involved. Just another thing our government lets go by and will continue to let get by, especially now that the great health insurance overhaul has been passed. Especially when over 70 percent of the people did not want it,hummmmm?. We all may be in trouble before long with health care. Didn't mean to get on the soapbox, but I worry about it. WE all should worry about for our care as well as our childrens care. Now, that is a scary thought!!!!
    The purpose of the shot is to stimulate the bone marrow to produce baby stem cells quicker to help prevent infection and fatique and to stimulate the blood clotting factor in case we should be cut. This is what help stimulate the blood count so we can get back on our feet faster. A lot of things can happen to us physically while waiting for our blood counts to build back up. The faster it builds the better. John
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178
    COBRA666 said:

    $10,000 neulastra shot
    Sue,nuelastra is the only thing available right now. Thats why it cost so much. The drug company set the price high just for that reason. They have no competition with no generic brand. It all boils down to money and those that have good insurance or deep pockets shall recieve. It sounds so morbid, but thats how it is when money is involved. Just another thing our government lets go by and will continue to let get by, especially now that the great health insurance overhaul has been passed. Especially when over 70 percent of the people did not want it,hummmmm?. We all may be in trouble before long with health care. Didn't mean to get on the soapbox, but I worry about it. WE all should worry about for our care as well as our childrens care. Now, that is a scary thought!!!!
    The purpose of the shot is to stimulate the bone marrow to produce baby stem cells quicker to help prevent infection and fatique and to stimulate the blood clotting factor in case we should be cut. This is what help stimulate the blood count so we can get back on our feet faster. A lot of things can happen to us physically while waiting for our blood counts to build back up. The faster it builds the better. John

    Neulastra shot
    Thanks John...I guess I'll just sit tight and not trip out in my head until my test is completed on Tuesday. How long did you have to wait for the results of your bone marrow test? I sure hope my insurance will cover the shot(if necessary or needed))...we have really good insurance...same insurance the teachers and government workers in Washington state have...Group Health. BTW...This whole health care overhaul also has me scared as hell and I could very easily climb on that same soapbox with you. Scary indeed!!!!!
    Sue
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401
    allmost60 said:

    Neulastra shot
    Thanks John...I guess I'll just sit tight and not trip out in my head until my test is completed on Tuesday. How long did you have to wait for the results of your bone marrow test? I sure hope my insurance will cover the shot(if necessary or needed))...we have really good insurance...same insurance the teachers and government workers in Washington state have...Group Health. BTW...This whole health care overhaul also has me scared as hell and I could very easily climb on that same soapbox with you. Scary indeed!!!!!
    Sue

    NUEULASTRA
    SUE, Its 5am and I am wide awake thanks to the prednisone. It sounds like you have good insurance. I would not really worry about that. I do know we have to be careful about our soapbox adventures because just like the effects of the treatments on people their ways of thinking are different too. You know what I mean. I had to wait till my next appt.which took about a week to actually find out the results from the Dr. of the bone biopsy. Actually, I went to the lab and got the results 2 days after the test. I don't like that waiting stuff. I did that with all my test. I already figured it was in my bone marrow anyway with all I had read on different sites. As far as that voodoo health care overhaul I really feel the whole country is in a world of sh-t. FOX NEWS tells it the way it is. It is a conservative news station, not like the liberally owned local stations.Check it out and see what I mean. Talking about being scared!!! The government is trying to ban the FOX NEWS station. The country is going to hell in a handbag and fast. Don't mean to get off the subject but just can't help it sometimes when I see what is going on around me and can not do a thing about it. Democracy is a dead issue anymore. WHEW!!! What really worries me the most is the future our children are in for. I better stop or they will kick me off here for what I am saying and believe. If they do it will just show another freedom is gone, the freedom of speech. John
    Sue, you will probably need the shot after you receive the chemo. they have to wait 24 hours to give it though after the chemo treatment. I had to go back the next day both times. I had no problem with it. Some have said they had stiffness and soreness. I guess I lucked out.
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    vinny59 said:

    prunes
    LMAO!!!!! I'm trying them too, I think I got it figured out with the stool softeners, I take 3, seems to be helping.... we sound a like ,tummy wise, I have IBS too....... How are you doing now after your mantle rads???? Vinny

    I think i'd need a whole
    I think i'd need a whole packet! LOL!!!

    I do struggle with prunes.Can only do the dries ones.Tried tinned bit it's a texture thing....urgh!

    Well i'm monitored nnually ever since mt rads. I have blood tests and manual checking for lumps with my onc. They tried signing me off from them a few yrs ago and again this year but i was having none of it!

    The rads have put me at an increased risk of more cancers,with BC being the highest risk.I had a double mastectomy in Feb as preventataive surgery. My other risks are thyroid cancer(i have an underactive thyroid), skin,lung and soft tissue sarcomas,but there is little we can do for prevention with these except the obvious (dont smoke or go into smoky atmospheres,stay out of the sun and use high sun block still).

    With hind sight,the mantle rads has caused me more problems but they didn't know that at the time and they did what was right back then.

    Still.....i'm here,i'm alive,im relatively healthy and i have a great life so im not complaining!

    =D