CSN Login
Members Online: 4

You are here

Update on my Dad!!

Posts: 33
Joined: Apr 2007

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that since we have decided to switch Dr.'s, my dad has been getting all of his records picked up from the other Dr.'s offices. While we were at lunch today I was looking over some of the paper work and was a little surprised with what was wrote on some of the reports. One of the comments stated that it was MY DAD'S CHOICE to wait the 2 months and have another MRI instead of them doing something else to find results of the spots on his liver. This was NOT my dad's choice it was what the Dr. told my dad he was going to do, since the Dr. said the spots were too small to tell whether or not it was cancer or not. That really upset me, because that was not the only thing in there that I didn't agree with.

Along with that same lines as that, it was mentioned about a PET scan, but the DR. said that the spots were to small and that is also why he waited 2 more months.

My dad has only had CT or CAT Scans (whatever you call them) and 2 MRI's......NO PET scans at all. I am going to insist that the New Dr. do one right away.

I also seen that the Dr. was concerned about my dad's CEA levels going up on 8-06 and we were not told about that either.

I am so glad I found this web site and talked to everyone on here. All of you have helped save my dad's life by us getting a second opinion. We have the first appointment 5-17-07 and I can't wait to go. My dad didn't want us to call and say we wanted to switch because we wanted a second opinion, so we told them that since his other cancer Dr. was moving out of town we needed a new one.

My dad's hemoglobin is also low and has been flucuating a lot, so he has been on Iron pills to help with that. If anyone has any advice on taking Iron pills, whether it be to help them absorb better, when should he take them, with or without food or whatever please let me know so that I can pass on the information to him. Also does anyone know what the reasons that hemoglobin reading would flucuate as far as with him having colon cancer goes?

Plus, I have one more thing to say!!! When we asked the Dr. where and why was he leaving he said, he was moving to California for more work!!! So I guess there isn't enough CANCER in Colorado for him to make a living on!!! It's all about money, is in it.

Sorry about that I just had to get that off my chest!!!!!

Aileen, I would e-mail you, but I don't know how to email you from this web site. I hope you see this message.

Thanks for listening..... I mean reading!!!!


KathiM's picture
Posts: 8077
Joined: Aug 2005

Your experience is why I tell my 'newbie' patient partners to keep a copy of everything...it is your right as a patient to ask for and keep a copy of all information written in the chart....sigh...sounds like in your dad's case, this is a necessity!

Please keep us posted, but it sounds like things are going well. And dad must be feeling better about it all!

I changed oncologists, and I LOVE my new one. Even tho her treatment protocols are different than the others...she is GREAT!!!

Hugs, Kathi

Posts: 57
Joined: Jun 2006

Hi Dana,

I was really pleased to read that your new doctor is so much better than your last. A good medical team can make a world of difference.

When I was on chemo last summer my hemoglobin was also low. As my bowels were a little sensitive (understatement) I was loath to take iron pills as they were binding. Instead, my oncologist elected that I get iron infusions. For three weeks I endured a once-a-week iron drip, which seemed to help.

However, if you Dad does decide to take the pills and has difficulties with BMs, prune juice works a trick.


Posts: 32
Joined: Dec 2006

Dear Dana: You don't know how happy I am to hear your update! I've been checking everyday for a post from you. Your good news made me cry & I told my husband too.

You should be so proud of yourself - and your Dad. You both have come so far and you've taken control. I'm thrilled for you.

I know how you feel - it's discouraging to find errors on medical reports. But you're on top of things now.

I'll be praying for you on 5/17! I'll mark it on my calendar. You've been sooooo smart to get a second opinion & I know you're going to hear new information about therapies that will give you HOPE!

If you ever want to email me, just click on the icon at the bottom of my message that looks like an envelope. That will allow you to directly email the author of a particular post.

Also, after you log into this website, look on the left side of the page and you'll see "Your CSN Start Page". Hit that icon and it will take you to your personal start page. Then on your personal start page, there's an section where you can access your personal email. Let me know if you still have problems.

Again, I'm elated for you & your family. Way to go!

Posts: 1048
Joined: Jan 2007

Dana , I am so glad that you decided to get another opinion and another doc. Will be praying for a good outcome on the 17th. Keep the faith and be sure you ask a ton of questions, including options for liver mets if that's what they are. I also recommend seeing a surgical oncologist and having them review scans if they do turn out to be mets. My husbands onc told us no chance of resection /rfa etc, since he has multiple mets, however a surgeon told us he is NOT ruling out that possiblity if mets continue to shrink, so opinions vary. We plan on seeing another surgeon after next scan to have him review the films also. Again , I believe in being your own advocate and to not leave any stone unturned. God Bless and keep us posted.


Subscribe to Comments for "Update on my Dad!!"