Ideas for regaining strength after chemo...and protein recipes needed

mrsarndt
mrsarndt Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Stomach Cancer #1
My father recently was given a clean bill of health...cancer free!...but the effects of the chemo have been extremely tough on him to say the least, his last treatment was in November...He is so very weak and has pain everyday that no one can explain...I believe it's a combination of physical and psychological...all he does is sit and think...being winter he's cooped up most of the time...

Does anyone have some good strength building ideas for me? He rides a stationary bike and goes for little walks here and there..but nothing more than a few minutes at a time...He also had adenocarcinoma of the esophagus/stomach and has to eat multiple times a day due to the repostitioning of his stomach...each time he eats he gets a stomach ache...I'm looking for some TASTY protein drink recipes...he's so tired of the ensure drinks...

Please feel free to share any ideas you have

Comments

• dustmagnet7
    dustmagnet7 Member Posts: 27
    protein smoothies
    1 C. frozen organic fruit (I like a mix of blueberries, cherries & peaches)
    1 C. organic keifer or yogurt
    1 T. quality fish oil
    3 T. whey protein powder
    a shot of wheat grass juice
    orange or apricot (organic) juice to thin out until drinkable consistancy

whiz all this in a blender and enjoy...it works out to be about 350 calories and 20 g. of protein...and tasty! They also freeze very well, so make a big batch and freeze in individual containers. Hope this helps.
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    Hi
    Hello. I am sorry you have to be here for your father and sorry he is in pain and weak. It takes a long time to recover from treatment unfortunately. One of the ladies on another board, had mentioned carnation instant breakfast drink. She mixes an envelope of french vanilla into a vanilla or Greek yogurt and said it tasted really yummy. Will he eat yogurt? Greek has more protein. You could add a little organic milk to give it a drinkable consistency..
  • mrsarndt

Hi
    Hello. I am sorry you have to be here for your father and sorry he is in pain and weak. It takes a long time to recover from treatment unfortunately. One of the ladies on another board, had mentioned carnation instant breakfast drink. She mixes an envelope of french vanilla into a vanilla or Greek yogurt and said it tasted really yummy. Will he eat yogurt? Greek has more protein. You could add a little organic milk to give it a drinkable consistency..

thanks so much! I've sent
    thanks so much! I've sent this to my Mom...hopefully we can get him back to his ole self!
  • mrsarndt

Hi

thanks so much! I've sent this to my Mom...hopefully we can get him back to his ole self!
  • mrsarndt

protein smoothies
    1 C. frozen organic fruit (I like a mix of blueberries, cherries & peaches)
    1 C. organic keifer or yogurt
    1 T. quality fish oil
    3 T. whey protein powder
    a shot of wheat grass juice
    orange or apricot (organic) juice to thin out until drinkable consistancy

whiz all this in a blender and enjoy...it works out to be about 350 calories and 20 g. of protein...and tasty! They also freeze very well, so make a big batch and freeze in individual containers. Hope this helps.

Minus the fish oil this
    Minus the fish oil this sounds pretty good! But I understand the need for it! I've shared this with my Mom! Thanks so much!
  • neverquit
    neverquit Member Posts: 220 Member
    mrsarndt said:

Also try the Carnation
    Also try the Carnation instant breakfast (vanilla) blended with a banana and some peanut butter.
  • mrsarndt
    neverquit said:

Also try the Carnation
    Also try the Carnation instant breakfast (vanilla) blended with a banana and some peanut butter.

Sounds so simple...why
    Sounds so simple...why didn't we think of that!
  • mrsarndt
    neverquit said:

Also try the Carnation

Sounds so simple...why
    Sounds so simple...why didn't we think of that!