Avistan?

evon
evon Member Posts: 24
edited March 2014 in Brain Cancer #1
Im hearing lots of this new drug!Antone out there on it?Please give feedback!

Comments

• Beckymarie
    Beckymarie Member Posts: 357
    Avastin
    My husband was on Avastin for a GBM. He initially had very good results with it. It actually shrunk his tumor by over 50% after the first series of treatments. He tolerated the treatments very well. However, one of the possible side effects is hemorraghes and he did have a couple of severe nose bleeds, one which required a trip to the ER. Unfortunately, the tumor did find its was around the Avastin and progressed. All in all I thought the Avastin did buy him some time, and would not hesitate to go with that treatment.
  • evon

Avastin
    My husband was on Avastin for a GBM. He initially had very good results with it. It actually shrunk his tumor by over 50% after the first series of treatments. He tolerated the treatments very well. However, one of the possible side effects is hemorraghes and he did have a couple of severe nose bleeds, one which required a trip to the ER. Unfortunately, the tumor did find its was around the Avastin and progressed. All in all I thought the Avastin did buy him some time, and would not hesitate to go with that treatment.

Thank you Beckymarie,My
    Thank you Beckymarie,My fiance has GBM also,Ill take whatever time I can get with him,If you wouldnt mind Id like to talk w you if its ok,I need to know what to expect,how long did your husband survive?Was he in alot of pain?Did he have surgery?
  • Beckymarie
    Beckymarie Member Posts: 357
    evon said:

Thank you Beckymarie,My
    Thank you Beckymarie,My fiance has GBM also,Ill take whatever time I can get with him,If you wouldnt mind Id like to talk w you if its ok,I need to know what to expect,how long did your husband survive?Was he in alot of pain?Did he have surgery?

GBM
    Any info I can supply, you are welcome to. Terry was diagnosed March 2009. Although they tried to be optimistic, the doctors were also very honest up front. They told us a year or less...he died in June 2010, approx. 15 months. He did not seem to be in alot of pain, headaches, but not severe. There were alot of ups and downs during the 15 months, but please keep in mind everyone is different. People react differently to treatments and drugs. What one person tolerates well another does not. He did not have surgery due to the location of the tumor.

The last 6 weeks wer difficult because he lost use of his right side and required a great deal of assistance. We had hospice in and they were wonderful.

Since his death 7 months ago, there are new clinical trials and you need to find out about them. As I mentioned before, I've heard of a vaccine made from the tumor itself that has had some positive results.

Please let me know how things are going.
    Becky
  • evon

GBM
    Any info I can supply, you are welcome to. Terry was diagnosed March 2009. Although they tried to be optimistic, the doctors were also very honest up front. They told us a year or less...he died in June 2010, approx. 15 months. He did not seem to be in alot of pain, headaches, but not severe. There were alot of ups and downs during the 15 months, but please keep in mind everyone is different. People react differently to treatments and drugs. What one person tolerates well another does not. He did not have surgery due to the location of the tumor.

The last 6 weeks wer difficult because he lost use of his right side and required a great deal of assistance. We had hospice in and they were wonderful.

Since his death 7 months ago, there are new clinical trials and you need to find out about them. As I mentioned before, I've heard of a vaccine made from the tumor itself that has had some positive results.

Please let me know how things are going.
    Becky

Thanks Beckymarie,my fiances
    Thanks Beckymarie,my fiances tumor is located in his left frontal lobe,We find out tomorrow if there is anyway to do surgery,Im looking into clinical trials,they did tell us hee has around 6 months but thats just not ok,

Im very sorry for your loss and i do thank you foe sharing.Theres not alot of people on here about GBM,So i thank you for your support:)
  • teachinart
    teachinart Member Posts: 7
    evon said:

Thanks Beckymarie,my fiances
    Thanks Beckymarie,my fiances tumor is located in his left frontal lobe,We find out tomorrow if there is anyway to do surgery,Im looking into clinical trials,they did tell us hee has around 6 months but thats just not ok,

Im very sorry for your loss and i do thank you foe sharing.Theres not alot of people on here about GBM,So i thank you for your support:)

GBM. . and avastin
    my mom is on a clinical trial at duke. The trial is to see if avastin, temador and CPT-11 are the magic combination. My mom was diagnosed with 2 GBM grade IV. She began treatment in good condition, and has faired very well. I highly recommend Duke, or the clinical trial for these 3 drugs. check our Robert Tish brain tumor center at Duke for info about the trial she is on.

Don't listen to your local doctors. . go to a "meca" for brain tumors. . they will give you the hope you deserve, and the treatment to match
  • 3Mana
    3Mana Member Posts: 811

GBM. . and avastin
    my mom is on a clinical trial at duke. The trial is to see if avastin, temador and CPT-11 are the magic combination. My mom was diagnosed with 2 GBM grade IV. She began treatment in good condition, and has faired very well. I highly recommend Duke, or the clinical trial for these 3 drugs. check our Robert Tish brain tumor center at Duke for info about the trial she is on.

Don't listen to your local doctors. . go to a "meca" for brain tumors. . they will give you the hope you deserve, and the treatment to match

Hope things go well
    Hi,
    Hope everything goes good for your mom. If she's going to be on Avastin, watch for side effects, especially any unusual bleeding. I'm scared of it cause my husband had lung cancer & had a combo of 3 chemos, one of which was Avastin. He started coughing up blood not too long after the treatment., so they stopped the Avastin which was causing it. But sadly to say, he died a month later from hemorraging. He was okay during the day and at night, but when he went up to go to bed at around 10:00 all of a sudden he hemorraged and it was like the most traumatic thing I've ever gone through. The paramedics worked on him for over 1/2 hour but it was too late. There's been some articles on here about that drug, so be careful!!
    "Carole"
  • evon
    3Mana said:

Hope things go well
    Hi,
    Hope everything goes good for your mom. If she's going to be on Avastin, watch for side effects, especially any unusual bleeding. I'm scared of it cause my husband had lung cancer & had a combo of 3 chemos, one of which was Avastin. He started coughing up blood not too long after the treatment., so they stopped the Avastin which was causing it. But sadly to say, he died a month later from hemorraging. He was okay during the day and at night, but when he went up to go to bed at around 10:00 all of a sudden he hemorraged and it was like the most traumatic thing I've ever gone through. The paramedics worked on him for over 1/2 hour but it was too late. There's been some articles on here about that drug, so be careful!!
    "Carole"

Thats what Ive recently
    Thats what Ive recently learned about avistan,He has very bad asthma,He is overweight also,He is already down from 286 to 261 lbs.Im so nervous.Tomorrow we find out if they can debulk any of his GBM tumor,I do hear good things about Duke,However we live in Chicago,
    3Mana,Im so sorry for the loss of your husband.
  • 3Mana
    3Mana Member Posts: 811
    evon said:

Thats what Ive recently
    Thats what Ive recently learned about avistan,He has very bad asthma,He is overweight also,He is already down from 286 to 261 lbs.Im so nervous.Tomorrow we find out if they can debulk any of his GBM tumor,I do hear good things about Duke,However we live in Chicago,
    3Mana,Im so sorry for the loss of your husband.

Evon
    I hope I didn't discourage you. Keep me posted on your hubby. I live in Greendale, which is a suburb of Milwaukee. We went to the Froedert Cancer Center which is great. They have teams of doctors that all consult on the treatment. It was a sad thing and very rare side effect that my husband got. But he only had one treatment with Avastin & 2 other chemos, when he started having problems. He was diagnosed in January and died in March. Always was very healthy and it all started with a back ache. Weird huh? Take care! Carole
  • evon
    3Mana said:

Evon
    I hope I didn't discourage you. Keep me posted on your hubby. I live in Greendale, which is a suburb of Milwaukee. We went to the Froedert Cancer Center which is great. They have teams of doctors that all consult on the treatment. It was a sad thing and very rare side effect that my husband got. But he only had one treatment with Avastin & 2 other chemos, when he started having problems. He was diagnosed in January and died in March. Always was very healthy and it all started with a back ache. Weird huh? Take care! Carole

Thanks to you both,Another
    Thanks to you both,Another day to wait.Now they tell us we wont know till tomorrow if surgery is an option,Still being positive but exhausted.Fingers crossed!