My big city MRI and lack of results Update !!!!!!!

Kerry S
Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well Monday I headed to STL for yet another MRI of the brain tumor Tuesday morning. As they said we were going to get snow so I filled the back of my pickup with firewood for weight on the rear tires. I left the scary old woman at home as she does not travel well. Spent the night with our oldest son.

Tuesday morning I was at the hospital at 9am. They did the MRI at 12 noon. Then I waited to see the brain doc. Got to see him at 1:45. He tells me that the tumor is bigger by ¼ inch. Yet he still can’t say if it is cancer or not. My options are to cut it out and then do whole brain rad if it is cancer or just leave it alone and crook in a year. Now the odds that they screw me up just cutting it out are high as that sucker is deep in there. They could turn me into a vegetable. Death would be a better option.

Now I have to drive home. This was a damn good test of reconnection. I made the 103 mile drive without crapping in my pants. I still be the poster boy for reconnection.

I got my CD of the MRI before leaving STL. Today I gave a copy of it to my Rad Onc down here in the country and they are going to review it. They will then tell me their thoughts on my options. I trust these folks. It boils down to I don’t know what the hell I am going to do yet.

For you new folks ALWAYS GET YOUR CD COPY OF SCANS AND MRIs. It will save you time when you want a second opinion.

Kerry (old guy that wants to get older)

My Rad Onc doc looked at my MRI here at our regional medical center. She agreed with the city doc. I trust her judgment she is one damn smart doc plus she knows how to handle me. I am getting that damn tumor the hell out of my head 2/10. It has gotten bigger. Its called go for broke time. Still don't know if it is cancer or not.

Kerry

Comments

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Hi Kerry
    Glad you made it safely to and home from STL.

I don't know what your circumstances are, but is it possible to get another brain doctor's opinion? It seems there should be something more than just the two options.

Hoping that you can find a solution which offers you better choices and longer life.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Kerry -

You might want to print out some info and offer it to your physicians.

Anshibo

You never know where you're going to find a cure....

Best wishes to you,

John
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Kerry's back!
    Hey Kerry.... I was going to set up a post tonight asking where the hell is that Kerry? I wasn't aware that you were heading out of town to have a photographer take pictures of the inside of your head. I'm glad you made it there and back and the snow didn't force you to the side of the wood where you would have had to start a fire with the firewood in the back of your truck.

Well, I guess at the moment you aren't that much further ahead yet... until you get another opinion of what your options are. If you trust these doctors who say you can wait another year, then that might be the best option rather than risk being a vegetable (your words). Still, knowing it's in there might play havoc with you having a good year while waiting.

I know we all will be interested in hearing what your doctors at home have to say about the MRI results. Do keep us posted... and welcome back!!

Cheryl
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Kerry (who will get MUCH older)
    I am glad you updated; I too was wondering where the he$# you were! Smart move getting your CD. Please let us know what you decide to do.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    AnneCan said:

Kerry (who will get MUCH older)
    I am glad you updated; I too was wondering where the he$# you were! Smart move getting your CD. Please let us know what you decide to do.

Kerry......Its the other ole fart that wants to get older (Buzz)
    Lemme ask ya something....MD Anderson is a remarkable tumor center...Would it hurt to simply get a copy of your scan and have it sent there for them to look at and maybe get ya another option. I had a very good friend that had brain tumors ( mets from Breast cancer that went to MDA and got tremendous results from them...Its worth a shot...I think as long as it is not effecting your speech, balance, or thought process then you still have time for plenty of options...Short story, My brother in law that lives in germany had a tumor on his frontal lobe the size of a golfball, found it to be benign but it was slurring his speech. It was removed and he is as good as new, except for a hairline scar from center of skull to just above his ear. No facial distortion or anything, and its gone now...
    It could also and may be a benign meningioma....these are calcium deposits that in some cases grow to cause symtoms as tumors do...most everyone has them but most do not grow...I have one that they were concerned with before I started chemo that turned out to be BB size and was encapsulated...they told me not to worry, that about 90% of the populus have them but most never cause any issues...I think I would want it out...I think that would give the best odds at growing old and cantankerous...but its your choice, not mine. Im just honery enough to tell ya how I feel, and I expect the same from you.....Us ole coots gotta stick together...........Buzz
  • Buzzard said:

Kerry......Its the other ole fart that wants to get older (Buzz)
    Lemme ask ya something....MD Anderson is a remarkable tumor center...Would it hurt to simply get a copy of your scan and have it sent there for them to look at and maybe get ya another option. I had a very good friend that had brain tumors ( mets from Breast cancer that went to MDA and got tremendous results from them...Its worth a shot...I think as long as it is not effecting your speech, balance, or thought process then you still have time for plenty of options...Short story, My brother in law that lives in germany had a tumor on his frontal lobe the size of a golfball, found it to be benign but it was slurring his speech. It was removed and he is as good as new, except for a hairline scar from center of skull to just above his ear. No facial distortion or anything, and its gone now...
    It could also and may be a benign meningioma....these are calcium deposits that in some cases grow to cause symtoms as tumors do...most everyone has them but most do not grow...I have one that they were concerned with before I started chemo that turned out to be BB size and was encapsulated...they told me not to worry, that about 90% of the populus have them but most never cause any issues...I think I would want it out...I think that would give the best odds at growing old and cantankerous...but its your choice, not mine. Im just honery enough to tell ya how I feel, and I expect the same from you.....Us ole coots gotta stick together...........Buzz

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    John23 said:

Kerry -

You might want to print out some info and offer it to your physicians.

Anshibo

You never know where you're going to find a cure....

Best wishes to you,

John

Friends 2 year old daughter died brain tumour last week
    Dear Kerry and John

I wished I could rollback time.
    I would have printed this out for my friends.
    I have faith in chinese herbal medicine.
    Her passing was merciful as in the end she was really disabled.

Kerry I want you around , you've got really attitude, which we cannot replace and would sorely miss.

They say the good die young,
    So if your old already we know your must be bad.
    So the real question is just how bad have you been ???

Seriously sorry to hear the tumour is so deep.
    goodluck in your treatment decision.
    cheers,
    Pete
  • Kerry S
    Thanks guys
    To answer some of your questions, I am off that damn Keppra and on Dilantin.

He had me on 300 mg per day. I now be on 200mg. The only side effect from Dilantin is blurred vision. MY eyes just don’t focus well for close sight. I have a hell of a time seeing my computer screen now. I know this is from the drug as I had the same thing with the Keppra. When I quit the Keppra my close in vision came back to normal.

This is a good lesson for all of us. Jennie can handle Keppra with no problem, I can’t. From what I read, one out of 400 have problems with Keppra.

Thanks John, I have that site now on my favorites list. I just don’t know enough to uses it yet.

I should hear from my country docs today as to what they think before I make the call as to what to do. I am leaning to getting the damn thing cut out as long as the doc will do it under a DNR rule. The scary old woman has the legal right to turn my **** off as does my oldest son. It comes down to the quality of life issue we all must face. What is an issue for me may not be for anyone else.

Please don’t take me wrong on this. I still have the fight deep in me. That will never change. I still have Attitude – Attitude - Attitude!!!!

Kerry (old coot with an Attitude)
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Kerry S said:

Thanks guys

He had me on 300 mg per day. I now be on 200mg. The only side effect from Dilantin is blurred vision. MY eyes just don’t focus well for close sight. I have a hell of a time seeing my computer screen now. I know this is from the drug as I had the same thing with the Keppra. When I quit the Keppra my close in vision came back to normal.

This is a good lesson for all of us. Jennie can handle Keppra with no problem, I can’t. From what I read, one out of 400 have problems with Keppra.

Thanks John, I have that site now on my favorites list. I just don’t know enough to uses it yet.

I should hear from my country docs today as to what they think before I make the call as to what to do. I am leaning to getting the damn thing cut out as long as the doc will do it under a DNR rule. The scary old woman has the legal right to turn my **** off as does my oldest son. It comes down to the quality of life issue we all must face. What is an issue for me may not be for anyone else.

Please don’t take me wrong on this. I still have the fight deep in me. That will never change. I still have Attitude – Attitude - Attitude!!!!

Hey Kerry!
    Glad to hear you got the meds changed. I took Dilantin for over 30 years. It worked well until it was combined with my chemo and it and the other seizure drug Depakote made me toxic which is when I went to Keppra. Where will you be getting the surgery done at? With your attitude I am positive all will be fine. Luv ya Darlin!

Jennie
  • ktlcs
    ktlcs Member Posts: 358

Hey Kerry!
    Glad to hear you got the meds changed. I took Dilantin for over 30 years. It worked well until it was combined with my chemo and it and the other seizure drug Depakote made me toxic which is when I went to Keppra. Where will you be getting the surgery done at? With your attitude I am positive all will be fine. Luv ya Darlin!

Jennie

Kerry
    A word about the Dilantin, my husband took it for 9 years (residual seizures from a stroke) and it worked wonders, really kept things under control. But our neurologist absolutely insisted it had to be brand name only, no generic, claims the generic to be hugely different from the brand. The one time we tried the generic he had to take twice the dose for it to be effective and then became toxic. Don't know what your insurance coverage is like but it was well worth the extra money for us. The chemo didn't interact at all.

And take really good care of your teeth and gums, Dilantin can cause some overgrowth of gum tissue.

Best of luck!

Kathy
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Sorry
    Sorry to hear that you have such an important decision on your hands. Glad you got off that medicine that you hated so much. My hospital has my orders on DNR too. They have to respect that. Hope that whatever you decide is the right decision for you and it goes well. Glad you made it there and back without pooping your pants. Thanks for the update.

Kim
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Hi Kerry, I'm so sorry that

Hi Kerry, I'm so sorry that you have more things to worry about now, but I just wanted to wish you well and pray that they can remove the tumor. Take care, Cynthia
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Here's to getting older
    Hey, Kerry.

We all want you to get older, too! Praying you will be able to make the right decision.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Kerry S
    this is just an update bump up
    up
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Kerry
    Kerry,
    Glad it's coming out. We will all be thinking about you and praying for you on that day, you know it! You are tough and stubborn and you will fight this thing back and win!

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Kerry S said:

this is just an update bump up
    up

Kerry S......and guess what the S stands for.....LOL
    anyway, Im glad that its comin' out. you'll be fine and just as soon as ya come out from recovery you'll see wife and everything will be fine....Keep in good spirits......Buzz

oh, and the S stands for "Standbackandwatchthischit"
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Kerry:
    Well since you have made your decision, I'll finally give you my opinion, personally, I think you are making the right decision to have the tumor removed. Leaving it in is only going to cause you problems, maybe irreversible, debilitating problems, if it continues to grow.

Take Care - Tina
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Hey Kerry
    Congratulations on your successful no crap in the pants trip to STL. Way to go (or not to go ... HA!) and I will happily recommend you for the reconnect poster boy award!

Sorry to hear of the growth of the tumor but, glad that you are comfortable with the plan. Will be wishing all the best for your surgery.
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Kerry
    Oh Kerry, I will be doing a lot of time on my knees praying on February 10th for you and for that nasty arsed tumor to get out of your head.
    Think about you every day you old fart.
    LOVE YA,
    Winter Marie
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Kerry S said:

Thanks guys

Dear Kerry
    You have done your homework and made your decision.

I pray that when they open your noggin to remove that blasted tumor, that is all that gets removed.

Make sure you tell them to leave the 'attitude center' in tact!

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties