We're going to zap the buggers!

lesvanb
lesvanb Member Posts: 905
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
It is a go for Stereotatic Radiosurgery!

I met with both my local medical oncologist and radiation oncologist yesterday. Basically, I am not a conventional surgical candidate for the 4 lung mets. Other treatments options are chemotherapy or, recently on the scene, some sort of radiosurgery or RFA etc. The nodules are slow growing and small, they are confined to one organ, the lung, they are not near anything critical in the lung, and the radiation oncologist says he can treat them all. We made the choice to go ahead with the Stereotactic Radiosurgery (Gamma knife at my clinic; new machine and the same radiation oncologist who treated the rectal tumor with good results.) Yesterday I had the prep CT plus they made the cradle I will lie in for treatment which involves lying in a bean bag and foam block cradle with a plastic sheet over my chest area that sucks the air out and restricts breathing somewhat and renders me unable to move (that was fun!). I will have a total of 5 treatments, one 45 minute or so session each day, starting next Thursday, January 20 in Casper, WY. I will return home on Friday after treatment and then go back for the remaining three Monday Jan. 24-Wednesday Jan. 26.

This is a lovely turn of events. How interesting that I am delighted to be agreeing to receive radiation therapy. However, compared to other alternatives right now, this one offers the possibility of "long-term progression-free survival can be seen in a subset of patients when all tumors are targeted." January 23rd is my 59th Birthday, and this is the most intriguing gift I've ever received.

More info for folks who want more detail:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16982544

Stereotactic radiation treatment for lung metastases grew out of treatments originally given to those patients with Stage 1 lung cancer who were not thoracic surgical candidates for numerous other health reasons. The success with it led to being opened up as a treatment for other patients, like me, for whom conventional surgery was not an option. Here's to remembering those folks who came before me, paving the way.

I'll keep you posted.

all the best, Leslie

Comments

• Luv2lunch
    Luv2lunch Member Posts: 270
    Leslie,
    Wishing you all of

Leslie,
    Wishing you all of the best with this treatment. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
    Linda and Ellie
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Leslie
    This sounds like a great opportunity + decision. Your nod to those that went before you is beautiful; it is important to remember all the trailblazers who made all of our treatment options possible. My warmest thoughts go to you for success with this procedure.
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Dear Leslie
    That's right girl, you zap those buggers but good!! Options are a beautiful thing, and I'm glad you found this one. It's a good 59th birthday present.
    Thinking of you.
    Winter Marie
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Great!
    Well, happy birthday to you, Leslie! Although it sounds sort of like a science fiction movie, this also presents a very good option of treatment for you. Please keep us posted on how you do!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Leslie:
    This truly is good news in the big picture. Great way to go instead of chemo. Wishing you nothing but the best outcome. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Hugs - Tina
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Dear Leslie
    I am so pleased for you as you sound very encouraged with this treatment plan.

Praying that you have safe travels, and wonderful outcome from this treatment.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • Dear Leslie
    I am so pleased for you as you sound very encouraged with this treatment plan.

Praying that you have safe travels, and wonderful outcome from this treatment.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    rifle approach
    Leslie darlin,

I just love it when these docs use a rifle approach instead of a shotgun approach. Why beat the hell out of the good cells with a shotgun. Recovery is faster and you will be in great shape by the time we need to brush hog again.

Kerry
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Great News Leslie
    Sounds like a sound plan.
    I'm glad you have options open.
    -p
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Treatment
    Sounds like the right thing to do and to have it done in such a short amount of time is great. Wishing the best for your treatment. Have a happy happy birthday and make sure you do smething special - you deserve it.

Hugs! Kim
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    wonderful
    Leslie,

I'm glad you are a candidate for this and are going forward with it. I wish you all the best! Also, happy birthday to you on the 22nd. My husband turns 50 on the 25th, but I am throwing a 50th bday party for him on the 22nd, so I will be thinking of you too on that day. :)

Take care & keep us updated as to how it goes & how you feel from it.

Hugs,
    Lisa
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Leslie you'll be 59?
    I'm just wondering what your secret along with everyone else on the board is in looking so young, must be the chemo. lol

Seriously so glad you will be getting those buggers zapped.

Hugss
    sonia
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    yay!
    Great news! I'm waiting to hear my final plan for stereotactic radiosurgery to my rectal area and 2 other spots in my abdomen! That was fun sitting in that bean bag thing! At least I didn't have the additional bag to limit my breathing! So glad you are moving forward!
    mary
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Leslie, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a
    Leslie, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a plan!! Sounds like you have a great one!! Good Luck to you, with love and prayers.

Holly
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    stay serious in the machine, don't think of any funny jokes
    leslie,

sounds like a good option which is impressive.

goodluck trying to stay still for the 45 minutes.

cheers,

Pete
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    thanks for the well wishes all!
    It's so cool to have you all as the cheering section 'cause must admit it's an interesting thing to be excited about getting radiation therapy now 3 days away.

Pete- I'll laugh a bunch now so it's easier later in the machine (I already asked about sedative and they said oh, yeah, Ativan:-)

all the best, Leslie