Dr. says no colonoscopy needed for Stage IV's ????

LivinginNH
LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi All,

We need your opinions on this one... Rick and I went to a new doctor yesterday, and after we asked her if Rick should have a colonoscopy since it's been a year this month since diagnosis, she told us, "No, we don't give colonscopies to Stage IV patients with metastases.". Huh? Am I mistaken in the belief that if there's a tumor in the colon that it should be removed?? Rick had HIPEC in November, but there was no visible cancer after the operation. We have a Pet/CT scheduled for next week, so we're praying for a clean scan. But no colonoscopies??? She also said that she wouldn't have recommended the HIPEC surgery since the data doesn't show that it's worse or better than chemo, but then said in the same sentence that it was good for him to have it since he's young and in generally good health. Again, HUH??? It seems like she's talking out of both sides of her mouth. We're thinking of making yet another appointment with another doctor since this one is confusing us. Any comments???

Thanks everyone, Cynthia

Comments

• pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    I have been told something similar as seems reoccurrence on
    the primary cancer is not very common , despite that I told my doctor I'd like to have one 6 months after surgery and he did it.
    Must be true as they are not saving any money with me in tests , I got 10 scans and 4 Pet in 18 months but just 1 colonoscopy in between!.
    Hugs Cynthia!
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    pepebcn said:

I have been told something similar as seems reoccurrence on
    the primary cancer is not very common , despite that I told my doctor I'd like to have one 6 months after surgery and he did it.
    Must be true as they are not saving any money with me in tests , I got 10 scans and 4 Pet in 18 months but just 1 colonoscopy in between!.
    Hugs Cynthia!

second opinion
    If it doesn't feel right, chances are that it isn't. I would ask for a second opinion. I got one at a year and now another at the second year. after this one, I will go to every 3 years.

pepe, those are a lot of scans! I think I have had no more then 6 in the past 18 months.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    time for another opinion
    Hi Cynthia,

My first thought is that anytime you are questioning what your doctor is saying that you need to go get another opinion- maybe even two other opinions!
    Try to get into an NCI cancer center, or at least a major cancer center with a doctor that is not in any way associated with your current doctor (otherwise you might just get a rehash of what she is saying).
    Insurance, even if it's an HMO, has to let you go get another opinion, although they may control where you can get that opinion from.
    It's been 3-1/2 yrs since my stage IV diagnosis & I've had just one colonoscopy since my original one.
    I see no sense in your onc saying stage IV's don't get colonoscopies. Maybe it isn't as neccessary if your husband is getting regular scans, but colonoscopies can see things scans can't, such as adhesions, diverticula pockets, and small polyps (which could then be snipped off at the same time so they don't grow into tumors).
    Sometimes oncs put off colonoscopies because the patient is in active chemo treatment and depending upon the chemo, chemo might have to be temporarily stopped to have the colonoscopy. I know for me, I stayed on the main chemo, but had to stop taking Avastin 6 wks before and 6 wks after the colonoscopy, so I lost 12 weeks of taking Avastin, which was a concern for me at the time. It is the reason why we're not scheduling another colonoscopy now (it's been a year and 2 months since my last one).
    Although it's not that common, I am someone who has had a recurrence of my primary rectal tumor. Since it is very low, we are able to keep an eye on it through a rectal scope exam., and it currently isn't something that is going to be removed. We talked about me having surgery on it, but decided against that as it's been a 1/2 cm for awhile and the surgery might actually prove to make more problems than what I'm currently experiencing & since it isn't large enough to be a blockage, we're just leaving and watching it. I'm on chemo (mainly to address liver and lung tumors) & they're thinking that is the best thing for the time being.

Best wishes, but definitely try and talk to another onc if you're not comfortable with or understanding what this one is saying.

Lisa
  • chicoturner
    chicoturner Member Posts: 282
    Hi, Cynthia! My Dr's said I
    Hi, Cynthia! My Dr's said I should have one and I did it about 6 months after my surgery. I think I would get a more positive Doctor!! I hate it that we works so hard to be healthy and cancer free only to have the thought added by others that we are stage four and hopeless. Pooh on them all! I am confused enough when I have talked with the Doc's and it is not because they say two different things. You need a doc that is clear!! Best to you. Jean
  • pepebcn
    Nana b said:

second opinion
    If it doesn't feel right, chances are that it isn't. I would ask for a second opinion. I got one at a year and now another at the second year. after this one, I will go to every 3 years.

pepe, those are a lot of scans! I think I have had no more then 6 in the past 18 months.

Yep but in those 18 moths had a reoccurrence and
    radiotherapy so the did 2 just for radiotherapy!
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Cynthia -

Re:
    "We're thinking of making yet another appointment with another
    doctor since this one is confusing us. Any comments??? "

Her opinion actually isn't a bad one, but if you feel "confused",
    or otherwise unsure your trust in the physician, you -have- to
    find another one.

But... you should question every opinion, including the ones from
    physicians you adore. Physicians are human, and make mistakes
    just as every human does. When you're dealing with a life-changing
    condition, why allow one opinion to rule your destiny? It just doesn't
    make sense to do that, right? So you need other opinions, and
    you oughta' get them as soon as possible.

Some light reading?
    The Oncologist, Vol. 14, No. 6

Colonoscopy is recommended 1 year after completion of treatment and should be repeated annually if new polyps are noted or every 3 years if not.

Get another opinion!

Best of health!

John
  • pepebcn

Hi, Cynthia! My Dr's said I
    Hi, Cynthia! My Dr's said I should have one and I did it about 6 months after my surgery. I think I would get a more positive Doctor!! I hate it that we works so hard to be healthy and cancer free only to have the thought added by others that we are stage four and hopeless. Pooh on them all! I am confused enough when I have talked with the Doc's and it is not because they say two different things. You need a doc that is clear!! Best to you. Jean

I don't think is a question of hopeless , but seems they are
    following an standard protocol , Look at the Internet it seems is a quite common procedure not only in S4 but in all stages! After surgery the
    standards suggest colonoscopy every 2 years or more.Despite this you can insist as l did and I'm sure they will do it! Also l must say that my doctors are very hopeful so I think not a question of hope but following certain standards.They follow very close labs to see if any unforseen.
    Hugs.
  • pepebcn
    John23 said:

Cynthia -

Re:
    "We're thinking of making yet another appointment with another
    doctor since this one is confusing us. Any comments??? "

Her opinion actually isn't a bad one, but if you feel "confused",
    or otherwise unsure your trust in the physician, you -have- to
    find another one.

But... you should question every opinion, including the ones from
    physicians you adore. Physicians are human, and make mistakes
    just as every human does. When you're dealing with a life-changing
    condition, why allow one opinion to rule your destiny? It just doesn't
    make sense to do that, right? So you need other opinions, and
    you oughta' get them as soon as possible.

Some light reading?
    The Oncologist, Vol. 14, No. 6

Colonoscopy is recommended 1 year after completion of treatment and should be repeated annually if new polyps are noted or every 3 years if not.

Get another opinion!

Best of health!

John

That's exactly what my doctor said John !
    Hugs!
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn said:

That's exactly what my doctor said John !
    Hugs!

Raquel !
    18 months , control every 2 months = 9 scans + 1 to locate the radiation points =10scans!.
    Hugs!
  • LivinginNH
    Thanks everyone. Another

Thanks everyone. Another concern is that this particular doctor is from Dana Farber - which has all of the latest trials! So, if we choose another doctor from D.F., we'll probably get the same line as from this other one. Now what? I guess I'm getting a little scared since it just seems that they're simply giving up on him. Well, I suppose we'll just have to go to yet another doctor since I want to make sure that we do everything we can to beat this beast down. Thanks again for all of your comments, they're so very much appreciated! Hugs, and best wishes for better health for everyone in the New Year.

Luv, Cynthia
  • pepebcn

Thanks everyone. Another

Thanks everyone. Another concern is that this particular doctor is from Dana Farber - which has all of the latest trials! So, if we choose another doctor from D.F., we'll probably get the same line as from this other one. Now what? I guess I'm getting a little scared since it just seems that they're simply giving up on him. Well, I suppose we'll just have to go to yet another doctor since I want to make sure that we do everything we can to beat this beast down. Thanks again for all of your comments, they're so very much appreciated! Hugs, and best wishes for better health for everyone in the New Year.

Luv, Cynthia

Cynthia sometimes we think docs are giving up but not
    just think in the amount of tests ,scans ,pet or labs they prescribed to us ! a colonoscopy is the cheapest of all that no sense they don't do it if you would need it!.
    Cheer up!.
    Hugs!
  • Lifeisajourney
    Lifeisajourney Member Posts: 216
    My colonoscopies
    were 10 months after surgery and then 1 year apart. So I have had 3 since dx 12/08. Gastro plans one each year for now and so far no problems. I asked the onc his opinion (different practice) and he was good with 1 year and then 3 years. But since my cancer showed up even after having had probably 4 to 5 colonoscopies because I was being watched because polyps were present and had been diagnosed as negative, I just don't feel secure that something will not be missed or some error occur. Probably paranoid, but at this point rather safe than sorry. Personal decision, I guess. Pat chemo brain-2 since dx 12/08
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Colonoscopies for Stage IV
    I can only tell you my experience............

I was diagnosed Stage IV in 5/2005. The scope couldn't get all the way through because of the sigmoid tumor. Had surgery i 6/2005 and another scope in 11/05 to get all the way through (it was fine). At that time my GI doc said we could go 2 years before the next scope. My oncologist said "no way" - she wanted to know if the "natural history of my disease" involved frequent polyp formation. So a year later (2006) we did another scope. Negative. Then both my onc and GI doc agreed to wait 3 years - had one Dec 2009 and now they say I can go 5 years.

It really depends upon your situation.

Betsy
    diagnosed Stage IV 5/05
    sigmoid colectomy 6/05
    6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin
    Lung recurrence 11/08
    Wedge resection 4/09
    6 cycles of Xeloda and Avastin
    Continuing on Avastin only (19 months so far!)
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Cynthia:
    Regarding the colonoscopy and Stage IV, while you are in active treatment they generally do not do a colonoscopy because they would need to stop treatment to do it and that is ill advised without good reason. That is the explanation we were given when I questioned our oncologist since George had his colectomy before starting treatment and his cancer had already metastized. Now if he gets clear scans and you want a colonoscopy, question the doc about it again.

Take care - Tina
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    No big deal in my opinion
    You have the scans next week so concentrate on that first. If everything looks good then concentrate on his healing up and getting stronger. The thinking here is if there isn't a blockage to deal with, treat the mets first. Remember surgery takes a great deal out of someone and slows down healing and the ability to fight infections for weeks. You want his body fighting cancer 24X7 right now.

I agree with everyone else about changing docs if you don't feel confortable but I'd give her a second chance thru the scans if it was me. I've been with my oncologist 6 plus years now and trust me when I say we have had a few tough conversations. I'm thrilled to have gone thru some of the tough stuff that we did to have the relationship and more importantly the understanding we have today.

Lisa P.
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member

Thanks everyone. Another

Luv, Cynthia

Cynthia -

Re:
    "Dana Farber - which has all of the latest trials!"

Why all the interest in "trials"? A trial might be fine if/when all
    other possible options have run out; but for your fight right now?

If you're in New Hampshire, it's not too long of a drive to the
    UMass Cancer Center in Worcester, Ma.

It's certainly worth going, even if only for a second opinion.

I would hold off with "trials", until there's nothing else to turn to.

(and there's plenty of things to turn to)

Good health!

John
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    John23 said:

Cynthia -

Re:
    "Dana Farber - which has all of the latest trials!"

Why all the interest in "trials"? A trial might be fine if/when all
    other possible options have run out; but for your fight right now?

If you're in New Hampshire, it's not too long of a drive to the
    UMass Cancer Center in Worcester, Ma.

It's certainly worth going, even if only for a second opinion.

I would hold off with "trials", until there's nothing else to turn to.

(and there's plenty of things to turn to)

Good health!

John

Trials as last resort
    Cynthia,

I agree with John on this one. I think part of the confusion we all get caught up on is... there has to be SOMETHING out there for us and let's get in on as many trials as we can because one of them might be the magic key. But thinking that was just goes to show we don't totally understand how all of this works ;)

When my onc told me that the Xeloda had stopped working for me this last three months, I panicked thinking, "OMG! Chemo has stopped working for me!" and the first thing I asked her was, "Do you think there are any trials I should be trying?" She looked at me quite puzzled and said, "No, I don't think so... besides, you wouldn't be eligible for them anyways." HELLO?? Not eligible?? How could I not be eligible if chemo has stopped working for me?? It's amazing how our minds jump from thought process to thought process without actually having done our research ... fueled by panic ;)

The reason I'm not eligible is, I have only been on one kind of chemo treatment, FOLFOX... and then we tried Xeloda since June, which is just a milder version of the 5FU of FOLFOX. I've got a long ways to go with trying out various chemo treatments, or chemo + RFA or a variety of things yet, before we'd EVER even be considered for any trials ;)

And I see this as a very good thing! I'm very pleased that I'm not eligible now that I understand it better :)

Cheryl
  • LivinginNH
    scouty said:

No big deal in my opinion
    You have the scans next week so concentrate on that first. If everything looks good then concentrate on his healing up and getting stronger. The thinking here is if there isn't a blockage to deal with, treat the mets first. Remember surgery takes a great deal out of someone and slows down healing and the ability to fight infections for weeks. You want his body fighting cancer 24X7 right now.

I agree with everyone else about changing docs if you don't feel confortable but I'd give her a second chance thru the scans if it was me. I've been with my oncologist 6 plus years now and trust me when I say we have had a few tough conversations. I'm thrilled to have gone thru some of the tough stuff that we did to have the relationship and more importantly the understanding we have today.

Lisa P.

Hi all,
    You're all right,

Hi all,

You're all right, we should just take things one at a time and not think about trials, etc., at this point. After the scans next week the doctor wants to put Rick on 5FU + Avastin. But the reason i mentioned the trials is that the onc. stated that if Avastin stopped working the only next step would be trials. So maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves, but we just want a "game plan" up front so that we can kind of prepare, just in case. Rick is always saying that we'll take things, "one day at a time". It's hard sometimes... Anyway, thank you all for your kind postings, it's so wonderful to have such caring folks out here. And Happy New Year everyone! Luv, Cynthia
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member

Hi all,
    You're all right,

Hi all,

You're all right, we should just take things one at a time and not think about trials, etc., at this point. After the scans next week the doctor wants to put Rick on 5FU + Avastin. But the reason i mentioned the trials is that the onc. stated that if Avastin stopped working the only next step would be trials. So maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves, but we just want a "game plan" up front so that we can kind of prepare, just in case. Rick is always saying that we'll take things, "one day at a time". It's hard sometimes... Anyway, thank you all for your kind postings, it's so wonderful to have such caring folks out here. And Happy New Year everyone! Luv, Cynthia

one day at a time but one minute at a time
    Cythia,

Yours was a really interesting question. I learn so much from reading everyone detailed answers. We are a really caring and wise group. The more I read, I realise how much most of us have or will have to go through. This board gets us focused on helping others with what we have learned the hard way.

So I did this great retreat for a week and they said simply the biggest thing to beating
    cancer and having a great life is finding peace. Have a read of the book "Quest For Life" by Petria King. It really focus's on the living in the now concept.

Pete
  • Lisa_R
    Lisa_R Member Posts: 59

one day at a time but one minute at a time
    Cythia,

Yours was a really interesting question. I learn so much from reading everyone detailed answers. We are a really caring and wise group. The more I read, I realise how much most of us have or will have to go through. This board gets us focused on helping others with what we have learned the hard way.

So I did this great retreat for a week and they said simply the biggest thing to beating
    cancer and having a great life is finding peace. Have a read of the book "Quest For Life" by Petria King. It really focus's on the living in the now concept.

Pete

My oncol said the same
    My oncol said the same thing.. after my initial one .. I didn't have a scope for 3 yrs.. with all the scans & chemotherapy he said he knew what my colon.looked like.. just had a clean scope in aug & officially in remission since feb 23 2010.. by the way I am st 4 w liver metsdx in june 07.. hope things go well for u & if.ur not comfortable with a dr.. change him.. that's why there is more than.one dr..
    Smiles
    Lisa