Chemo tomorrow & 1st CA125 since I started carboplatin

lindaprocopio
lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
I've played it out both ways in my mind, trying to prepare myself for the results of the CA125 I'll get taken pre-chemo tomorrow morning (& have the results on Thursday.) It's evident that CA125 is a very good marker for me; faithfully rising with each instance of disease progression. I desparately need my CA125 to DROP with tomorrow's labs. My cancer is now not receptive to taxol anymore, and Doxil was unable to hold it back. I feel like carboplatin is my last 'big gun' chemo and that if my cancer is unaffected by carbo, I can't imagine WHAT I can take to stop it growing. So this is a scary CA125 lab. My CA125 was 229 on my pre-chemo 3 weeks ago, taken right BEFORE I had my 1st carbo infusion. If it is higher than that tomorrow, that'll mean even carboplatin can't kill my cancer now; that it has mutated into something chemo-resistant. & then I'll know I'm in real trouble.

The other worry is that I will develop an allergy to the carbo and be unable to take it, even if it does drop my CA125. I have to have a skin test before every infusion, as many people get an allergic reaction by their 8th carboplatin infusion & I did 6 carbo/taxols in 2008/2009; & now with this new chemo regime, tomorrow would be my 8th carbo infusion.

worries worries. There's no use worrying, I know. I'll get my answer soon enough. There's nothing I can do anyway, either way. Sorry to be whining and venting; I'm just working through this to get my game face on. (((hugs)))

Comments

• nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    You are in my Prayers!!!!!!!
    I send you big hugs and comfort during this waiting period. I am praying for you as I type. May God grant you peace and comfort as you wait!!!!! Vent all you want we love you Linda. J.
  • CaCowgirl
    CaCowgirl Member Posts: 27
    nempark said:

You are in my Prayers!!!!!!!
    I send you big hugs and comfort during this waiting period. I am praying for you as I type. May God grant you peace and comfort as you wait!!!!! Vent all you want we love you Linda. J.

More Prayers!
    Oh, Linda-I too, am sending prayers your way-you are such a warrior & I have been following your journey since my own diagnosis this spring. I opted not to take any of their treatments, but my case was much different than yours. I can totally relate to the venting, though, as this cancer diagnosis is a very scary thing. Good Luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you.
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
    Linda good luck tomorrow
    Linda I pray that your CA 125 will drop tomorrow. I also pray that you can continue to take Carboplatin.

I read in your other post you did post Christmas shopping for 2011. Good for you. I love your positive attitude. I love your game face, too. It brings a smile to my face. I am glad to hear you whining and venting. It is good for you.

Good luck tomorrow with pre- chemo. In peace and caring.
  • madhura
    madhura Member Posts: 21
    Ro10 said:

Linda good luck tomorrow
    Linda I pray that your CA 125 will drop tomorrow. I also pray that you can continue to take Carboplatin.

I read in your other post you did post Christmas shopping for 2011. Good for you. I love your positive attitude. I love your game face, too. It brings a smile to my face. I am glad to hear you whining and venting. It is good for you.

Good luck tomorrow with pre- chemo. In peace and caring.

Good luck
    Linda,

I was thinking about you for the last few days.
    Good luck for everything - for CA 125 results and for the chemo.

I will pray for Carbo to work.

Please keep us posted.

madhura
  • MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 477 Member
    madhura said:

Good luck
    Linda,

I was thinking about you for the last few days.
    Good luck for everything - for CA 125 results and for the chemo.

I will pray for Carbo to work.

Please keep us posted.

madhura

Sending Low CA-125 Vibes Your Way
    Hi Linda,

Although I don't post very frequently, I think of you often. Please know that I am hoping and praying for a dramatic drop in your CA-125, and that no allergic reaction develops to the carboplatin.

Wishing you all the best in the New Year.

Maureen
  • nancygt
    nancygt Member Posts: 86
    praying for you
    You are such an inspiration to all of us on this board and I will pray for you as always. And you deserve to vent. You have been very strong through all this but you would not be human if there were not days where a little whining or venting was not necessary. Especially since you expressed the biggest frustration that we all struggle to deal with - lack of control.It is so hard to accept that we can work to get a good medical team, research to fully understand terminology,technology and options, fight to have a life between remissions and during treatment and still have a hope for treatment may fail. I start Doxil in a week or so and hope and pray for results (accepting that a positive result would be a longer remission this time around) as I know you did. So our hopes and prayers are that carboplatin will be tolerated by your body again and give you positive results.
    Even though I have not been posting for long, I rely on this discussion board for coping and especially your good information and strength as an example.
  • Sara Zipora
    Sara Zipora Member Posts: 231
    Echo of good wishes and vibes
    All the best news and prayers for good enough health.
    Sara Zipora
  • Songflower
    Songflower Member Posts: 608

Echo of good wishes and vibes
    All the best news and prayers for good enough health.
    Sara Zipora

Linda You have more options

Linda you are not out of chemo options. There is gemzar and topeacan Megace is available too. Also there is avastin. There are more but I cannot remember their names off hand. I read a list once and it was long. Sometimes I think we would do better mentally without that CA 125; it scares us to death. I don't understand it actually. Some women relapse when CA 125 is low and some when it is high. Doxil takes the CA125 down very slowly.

I am glad you can share your fears and frustrations. I just got off chemo and had a vitreous bleed in my left eye Christmas eve and had to see a retina opthmologist on Christmas Day! But amazingly it didn't bother me; I am so use to appts and things not going my way I think I accept all the set backs too easily.

I haven't given up on you. Take out your molecular assay and look at the things you can take. Doxil worked for me and was on the No response list!

My prayers are coming your way. I wish I could take you for a lovely walk in the snow. I would have to keep up with you!

I am glad you can vent with us. I try to explain what it is like to other people but they still don't get it.

Love you,
    Diane
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member
    Thinking of you Linda!
    Am hoping that your CA125 results are much improved today. I also am sending positive energy your way so that you will be able to tolerate carbo. Whining and venting are a part of this site and you know we always understand!

As Diane pointed, there are still options available to you, so hang in there! We are all here for you!

Karen
  • kkstef

Linda you are not out of chemo options. There is gemzar and topeacan Megace is available too. Also there is avastin. There are more but I cannot remember their names off hand. I read a list once and it was long. Sometimes I think we would do better mentally without that CA 125; it scares us to death. I don't understand it actually. Some women relapse when CA 125 is low and some when it is high. Doxil takes the CA125 down very slowly.

I am glad you can share your fears and frustrations. I just got off chemo and had a vitreous bleed in my left eye Christmas eve and had to see a retina opthmologist on Christmas Day! But amazingly it didn't bother me; I am so use to appts and things not going my way I think I accept all the set backs too easily.

I haven't given up on you. Take out your molecular assay and look at the things you can take. Doxil worked for me and was on the No response list!

My prayers are coming your way. I wish I could take you for a lovely walk in the snow. I would have to keep up with you!

I am glad you can vent with us. I try to explain what it is like to other people but they still don't get it.

Love you,
    Diane

Diane....
    Diane, I am so sorry to hear about your eye problem over the Holiday. You have certainly had more than your share of challenges and you always handle those "bumps" so gracefully!

Your positive outlook and sage advice is always to refreshing!

Karen
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

Love you,
    Diane

Go ahead and vent
    That's what this board is for. We understand your fear and worry, not matter what type of cancer we have. No, worry doesn't solve anything, but to tell someone not to worry is so insulting. Of course, you're going to worry and fret! When you stop doing that, we'll worry.

You have my prayers and hopes for a CA125 with low numbers tomorrow.

Diane, so glad to see that you're doing well. Ok, maybe the eye thing was not good, but I hope your latest treatments were effective.

Suzanne
  • lindaprocopio
    kkstef said:

Thinking of you Linda!
    Am hoping that your CA125 results are much improved today. I also am sending positive energy your way so that you will be able to tolerate carbo. Whining and venting are a part of this site and you know we always understand!

As Diane pointed, there are still options available to you, so hang in there! We are all here for you!

Karen

My GOOD (wonderful!) news and my bad news....
    FIRST THE GOOD NEWS: My CA125 dropped 60 points! It's still in the 200's, but this is the first labs in FOREVER where my CA125 went DOWN, so I am very optimistic that carboplatin will get my cancer back under control! I needed this little ray of hope so badly and I'm so happy for this blessing!

NOW THE BAD NEWS: The bad news (which still can't overshadow the GOOD news in my mind) is that I was unable to get my chemo today because my platelets took a dive to 10,000. So I ended up getting a platelet transfusion today instead. (a bag of platelets looks like a bad of yellow snot, by the way). We scheduled another blood lab and carboplatin at 1/3 strength for next Thursday, and are going to try fractionating the carboplatin and I'll get this chemo weekly at 1/3 strength and see if that will be enough for me to be able to safely get the treatments. It would suck if I found something that appears to be working and my body wasn't strong enough to tolerate it. When I got taxol fractionated-&-weekly it made it an easy chemo, so I'm hoping the fractionated carbo dosage will be easy too. We will see.

My chemo oncologist is so funny. He came running back to the chemo lounge when I was getting my transfusion, all smiles, with my good CA125 news. With him, "no news is bad news", and he always makes me phone to get my test results when they aren't good. But he LOVES to deliver GOOD news and always does that personally. I guess I'd be like that if I were an oncologist, for my own sanity. Anyway, it's been a LONG time since he's had good news to deliver to me and he almost skipped on his way to tell me, sincerely happy for me.

1 tidbit of knowledge I picked up today to share: If you get repeated platelet transfusions, your body will start to reject the platelets, so platelet transfusions have to be saved for really low low counts. He said he'd never make it a routine practice of giving me regular platelet transfusions just so I can stay on carboplatin; we'd try fractionating or lowering the dosage or adding in extra days between infusions, or even change chemo drugs, before he would give me monthly platelet transfusions just so I could stay on carbo.

I'll let you all know if I'm able to get my chemo next week. Your support and posts help me more than you can know, THANK YOU ALL! So it looks like I won't be feeling post-chemo yukky for New Years Eve and better get to the store for champagne and pork-and-saurkraut for a little celebration with my man! :D
  • lindaprocopio
    kkstef said:

Thinking of you Linda!

Karen

FIRST THE GOOD NEWS: My CA125 dropped 60 points! It's still in the 200's, but this is the first labs in FOREVER where my CA125 went DOWN, so I am very optimistic that carboplatin will get my cancer back under control! I needed this little ray of hope so badly and I'm so happy for this blessing!

NOW THE BAD NEWS: The bad news (which still can't overshadow the GOOD news in my mind) is that I was unable to get my chemo today because my platelets took a dive to 10,000. So I ended up getting a platelet transfusion today instead. (a bag of platelets looks like a bad of yellow snot, by the way). We scheduled another blood lab and carboplatin at 1/3 strength for next Thursday, and are going to try fractionating the carboplatin and I'll get this chemo weekly at 1/3 strength and see if that will be enough for me to be able to safely get the treatments. It would suck if I found something that appears to be working and my body wasn't strong enough to tolerate it. When I got taxol fractionated-&-weekly it made it an easy chemo, so I'm hoping the fractionated carbo dosage will be easy too. We will see.

My chemo oncologist is so funny. He came running back to the chemo lounge when I was getting my transfusion, all smiles, with my good CA125 news. With him, "no news is bad news", and he always makes me phone to get my test results when they aren't good. But he LOVES to deliver GOOD news and always does that personally. I guess I'd be like that if I were an oncologist, for my own sanity. Anyway, it's been a LONG time since he's had good news to deliver to me and he almost skipped on his way to tell me, sincerely happy for me.

1 tidbit of knowledge I picked up today to share: If you get repeated platelet transfusions, your body will start to reject the platelets, so platelet transfusions have to be saved for really low low counts. He said he'd never make it a routine practice of giving me regular platelet transfusions just so I can stay on carboplatin; we'd try fractionating or lowering the dosage or adding in extra days between infusions, or even change chemo drugs, before he would give me monthly platelet transfusions just so I could stay on carbo.

I'll let you all know if I'm able to get my chemo next week. Your support and posts help me more than you can know, THANK YOU ALL! So it looks like I won't be feeling post-chemo yukky for New Years Eve and better get to the store for champagne and pork-and-saurkraut for a little celebration with my man! :D
  • kkstef

Your update
    Linda,

Thanks for the update. Your Ca-125 drop is truly good news. I am sorry that your platelets nose-dived, but know that can happen. Hopefully the fractionated dosage will be easier on your platelets! I am thinking that some champagne and pork-and-saurkraut might just be the formula to get those platelets producing! If it works you may want to patent that combo!!

Thinking about you and wishing you lots of good news!! Celebrate the new year!!

Karen
  • thank you
    thank you Member Posts: 77

YEA!!! IT'S WORKING!!!
    That's it, remission is coming. I see the platelets as a good sign. You will try less dose of carbo, less toxic but still powerful to knockdown the nasty cells. Next Christmas I will give you my address so you can send me a Christmas card. Same the year after... and the year after....

Enjoy New Year's eve with your wonderful family (wish I had my mom with me... but still thankful she is doing well on the other side of the ocean)

Happy New Year!!

Chrysoula
  • upsofloating
    upsofloating Member Posts: 466 Member

Great News on ca125 drop!!!
    Great News on ca125 drop!!! I can relate after rapdily rising number while on Doxil and the joy with the drop after Gemzar kicked in. Hopefully platelet issue is just a blip in treatment plan. But timely so you may truly enjoy your NYE champagne with your hubby ;-)
    Happy New Year!!!
    Annie
  • barb55
    barb55 Member Posts: 91

ahhh good
    Linda thank you so much for checking in with your good CA125 news. I'll be honest, I was worried. We can ring in the New Year now- we're all here. Happy happy healthier and healthier New Year to all! I am so grateful for this blog and you LInda.
    Barb
  • maggie_wilson
    maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596

HALLELUJAH!! HALLELUJAH! linda

sometimes, once in a while, things work out. that drop in your ca125 did me wonders too. i'm beside myself with happiness for you. i'm sorry about your platelets dropping, however, but that's small potatoes, compared to the big news! of course i'm hoping, hoping, hoping that you are able to tolerate the carbo, then it will be the whole hallelujah chorus ringing out the good news. you know we're all with you, especially now, but always, the whole way, for all the years to come. (from my lips to god's ear). may your body take in the fractionated chemo with ease next week and thereafter. hang in there, linda, stay the course, we're right next to you. and DAMN THE TORPEDOES, FULL SPEED AHEAD!

with love and sisterhood,
    maggie
  • maggie_wilson
    maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596

sometimes, once in a while, things work out. that drop in your ca125 did me wonders too. i'm beside myself with happiness for you. i'm sorry about your platelets dropping, however, but that's small potatoes, compared to the big news! of course i'm hoping, hoping, hoping that you are able to tolerate the carbo, then it will be the whole hallelujah chorus ringing out the good news. you know we're all with you, especially now, but always, the whole way, for all the years to come. (from my lips to god's ear). may your body take in the fractionated chemo with ease next week and thereafter. hang in there, linda, stay the course, we're right next to you. and DAMN THE TORPEDOES, FULL SPEED AHEAD!

maggie
  • susafina
    susafina Member Posts: 131

maggie

Good News
    Hi Linda,
    I am very happy to hear your good news. Let/s focus on that. You have the right to be frustrated with your counts. Sometimes your body does become refractory to platelets if you get frequent transfusion. But it usually occurs only if you recieve a lot of transfusions. Sometimes you will get platlets that really boost your counts. this occurs if the donor is a real close match. Get your family to donate if possible.
    I am so glad you did respond to the carbo and for that I am glad for you. So lets focus on that for now.
    I will be sending good vibes to you from the platlet fairy so your counts go up!!
    SUE