In the hospital (update 12-17) (update 12/21)

Buckwirth
Buckwirth Member Posts: 1,258 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Went to the Oncologist to find out the results of Friday's scan. I was in so much pain from a recent bm and the drive over that he sent me to the ER.

The scan showed hot at my original tumor site (where the pain is) and at my inguenal node, causing them to suspect some kind of infection. Right now they are leaning towards an anal fissure/tear.

Hopefully I will know more in the morning.

-----------------------------------------
12/17

They are going to scope me at 6pm. Right now they are confident it is a fissure, however they want to be sure. I am supposed to get the nitro glycerine cream, but it is not in the hospitals formulary and they have not been able to source it yet.

Funny thing is, with all this access to great pain meds, I have not had a bm, so I feel great today!

----------------------------------------------
12-21

Not a fissure, it is the tumor causing the pain. I should be checked out of the hospital tomorrow, then back on 1-5 to have surgery.

At least I will be home for Xmas...

Comments

• lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    hoping and praying
    Hi,

I'm hoping and praying right now for you that your pain will subside soon and they will be able to treat the infection.
    Take care & please let us know how you are.

Lisa
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    lisa42 said:

hoping and praying
    Hi,

I'm hoping and praying right now for you that your pain will subside soon and they will be able to treat the infection.
    Take care & please let us know how you are.

Lisa

Take Care!
    Please take care of yourself and rest.
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    In the hospital
    Well, that's sure no fun, is it?? You go to get results from Friday's scan and all you really want is to get home because you are in pain. But good move on the onc's part to send you to the hospital. If it IS an infection, then they will be able to treat it with the heavy duty antibiotics they can give you in the hospital and get it under control asap, then send you home with some oral antibiotics. All should be good within a couple of days... meanwhile, hopefully they can do something for pain management.

Did you find out the results from your Friday's scan... and is all ok on that front?

Cheryl
  • Buckwirth

In the hospital
    Well, that's sure no fun, is it?? You go to get results from Friday's scan and all you really want is to get home because you are in pain. But good move on the onc's part to send you to the hospital. If it IS an infection, then they will be able to treat it with the heavy duty antibiotics they can give you in the hospital and get it under control asap, then send you home with some oral antibiotics. All should be good within a couple of days... meanwhile, hopefully they can do something for pain management.

Did you find out the results from your Friday's scan... and is all ok on that front?

Cheryl

Scan
    Hard to tell. If the hot spots are all about an infection, then things are great! If recurrence is part of it... Not so much. Guess I won't know for sure till the next scan.
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Buckwirth said:

Scan
    Hard to tell. If the hot spots are all about an infection, then things are great! If recurrence is part of it... Not so much. Guess I won't know for sure till the next scan.

Hey Buck...

What a pain in the "A", huh?

Best wishes for a simple fix for a simple problem!

John
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    How strange is this
    Not sure but I think this is the first time I have ever told anyone I hope they have an infection.

I had one soon after coming home from original surgery...and the pain was really bad. Didn't know until I was in hospital that that is what it was and of course was thinking the worst.

Hope that solution is a stiff does of antibiotic and they can send you on your way home soonest.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

How strange is this
    Not sure but I think this is the first time I have ever told anyone I hope they have an infection.

I had one soon after coming home from original surgery...and the pain was really bad. Didn't know until I was in hospital that that is what it was and of course was thinking the worst.

Hope that solution is a stiff does of antibiotic and they can send you on your way home soonest.

Hugs,

Marie who loves kitties

What about your CEA and bloodwork?
    Hugs buck ,praying to be just an infection!
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    Sorry about the pain
    Hope your hospital stay turns out to be easy and goes well!

Gail
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    pepebcn said:

What about your CEA and bloodwork?
    Hugs buck ,praying to be just an infection!

same here
    seems crazy but a nice treatable infection would be good.....

hugs and hoping for good results...

mags
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Pain
    Hoping that you find out what is causing this and your pain is relieved and they can prevent it in the future.

Kim
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Sorry to hear this
    I hope there is an easy fix + you feel better soon.
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    OUCH
    I sure hope that you have some like an infection or fissure. I know what a thing to wish on someone. But, it would be better than a recurrence. I will be praying for the best outcome for you.
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Good thought going your way!
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

Best Always, mike
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Anal fissures are nasty
    I had one, and was told it wouldn't heal until I was off chemo. It took 2 additional months to heal. Meanwhile, I know your pain, I cringe thinking of it...

My surgeon had the pharmacy mix me a cream with cardizem in it to relax the anal sphincter (it still worked well enough to avoid accidents.) I used the cream and alternated with Nupercainal. It gave me a little relief, tho not enough.

However, as others have stated, an anal fissure or an infection beats more ca.

Best wishes,
    Alice
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Anal fissures are nasty
    double post
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    Dang
    I hpe they figure ut the prblem sn and get yu hme fr Christmas

Brooks
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Praying for infection!
    I'm sorry about all this. I hope it IS an infection, and they can clear it up very soon! Praying you will get to be home to enjoy Christmas.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • thxmiker
    Get Well Soon!
    Get Well Soon!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you!~
    mike
  • Buckwirth
    Up

Up
  • thxmiker
    At least you get Christmas at home, and they found the problem.

Best Always, mike