After Chemo

ketziah35
ketziah35 Member Posts: 1,145
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My mother seems to think that she can take care of a high maintenance 2 year old for multiple days. I keep telling her that she may not be up to it as the chemo fatgue and other side effects can last up to a year after her last chemo treatment. She doesn't believe me and wants to see your opinion of this. She is on 5 FU.

Comments

• Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    E year old? not sure what
    E year old? not sure what that is....

I am almost 2 years out from finishing chemo and there is no way I could take care of my 2.7 year old grandson for multiple days.
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    judgement call
    I say it is a judgement call on her side. We all have good days and bad days. Sometimes I feel great and get out and jog a little. Other days I have a tough time getting out of the house. I still try to walk at least 3 times a day for a mile to a mile and a half. No matter how bad I feel, I feel better after forcing myself to take a walk.

Today we took a mud walk with the dogs. It was great! We all came back and got a bath.

Best Aways, mike
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    My story
    I didn't have to do chemo, so I can't speak to that, but I will tell you that I take care of my grandchildren every day. After my surgery on Nov. 23, 2007, I took a break and returned to caring for my (then 2)grandchildren every day. At the time they were 5 and 6 months. I was wiped out! I would lie down when i could at their house, and I would return home and just crash.

*hugs*
    Gail