cold knife cone biopsy

I will be having a cold knife cone biopsy in the next couple of weeks. I was hoping someone could tell me more about this procedure.

Comments

• tecara
    tecara Member Posts: 19
    What its like
    Ok, I figured that I would answer my own post because it may help another woman in understanding the process.

I had a cone done about 24 hours ago. I have to say I was pretty nervous about the whole thing. First off the hospital staff was great. One of my biggest fear was being sick after coming out of the anesthesia. The anesthesiologist gave me extra medication to help with this. I was out a total of 2 hours and came out of it with no nausea at all. I actually woke up hungry and thirsty. They gave me pain meds through my IV when I first woke up and took me to recovery. I had dull pain but nothing unbearable. 1 to 10... highest the pain got was a 7 I'd say. The pain meds took away the pain right away and I drifted back to sleep. When I woke up they were changing my bedding, I had a lot of bleeding. Within an hour though I was up eating a sandwich drinking coffee and chatting with my husband. An hour from then I was on my way home. I slept pretty much the rest of the day. Had to take one Tylenol 3 that day. This morning woke up basically pain free and very light bleeding. Showered and found that did tire me out, layed back down. This afternoon doing really well, slight cramping and very little bleeding. The process was nothing like I feared it would be. Now the hard part... waiting the results. The Dr told my husband that he felt good about it all and feels he got all the cancer but wouldn't be totally sure till the pathology came back. It has now been about 18 hours and though I'm feeling a bit run down, I'm doing pretty good... but on that note going to lay down again.

Hope this helps someone else getting ready for this procedure.
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    tecara said:

What its like
    Ok, I figured that I would answer my own post because it may help another woman in understanding the process.

I had a cone done about 24 hours ago. I have to say I was pretty nervous about the whole thing. First off the hospital staff was great. One of my biggest fear was being sick after coming out of the anesthesia. The anesthesiologist gave me extra medication to help with this. I was out a total of 2 hours and came out of it with no nausea at all. I actually woke up hungry and thirsty. They gave me pain meds through my IV when I first woke up and took me to recovery. I had dull pain but nothing unbearable. 1 to 10... highest the pain got was a 7 I'd say. The pain meds took away the pain right away and I drifted back to sleep. When I woke up they were changing my bedding, I had a lot of bleeding. Within an hour though I was up eating a sandwich drinking coffee and chatting with my husband. An hour from then I was on my way home. I slept pretty much the rest of the day. Had to take one Tylenol 3 that day. This morning woke up basically pain free and very light bleeding. Showered and found that did tire me out, layed back down. This afternoon doing really well, slight cramping and very little bleeding. The process was nothing like I feared it would be. Now the hard part... waiting the results. The Dr told my husband that he felt good about it all and feels he got all the cancer but wouldn't be totally sure till the pathology came back. It has now been about 18 hours and though I'm feeling a bit run down, I'm doing pretty good... but on that note going to lay down again.

Thanks for the heads up on
    Thanks for the heads up on this procedure tecara. Hoping your doc got it all!
  • scon760
    scon760 Member Posts: 1
    tecara said:

What its like

One of the most difficult

One of the most difficult parts about being a "cancer patient" is the waiting and wondering. I was diagnosed in April 2009 (Stage 3b cervical cancer) and still haven't mastered the art of the waiting game so unfortunately, I don't have any insider secrets to share with you. It helps to know that there are others out there going through similar experiences.

All the best for speedy and good results.

Stephanie
  • tecara
    tecara Member Posts: 19
    scon760 said:

One of the most difficult

One of the most difficult parts about being a "cancer patient" is the waiting and wondering. I was diagnosed in April 2009 (Stage 3b cervical cancer) and still haven't mastered the art of the waiting game so unfortunately, I don't have any insider secrets to share with you. It helps to know that there are others out there going through similar experiences.

All the best for speedy and good results.

Stephanie

Not alone
    I think one of the greatest things is finding this group and a couple others. Knowing you are not alone in a difficult situation does help a lot. No there is no magical wand to help with the waiting game but having others to talk to does help a lot. hearing about others experience and sorta getting an idea what to expect helps relieve some of the fear.

Thank you for the well wishes. Hope you are both doing well and enjoying the holiday season.
    God bless
    Terri
  • ahelland21
    ahelland21 Member Posts: 1
    Cone Biopsy and DNC
    Thanks for the information you posted about the cone biopsy. I was recently diagnosed with endocervical adenocarcinoma in situ, and am going in for a cone biopsy and DNC next week. My doctor is confident that they should be able to remove it all with the cone biopsy, but I am still anxious for it to be over so I can know for sure.

Hope that you are still doing well and that your biopsy had good results.

Angie