CEA NUMBERS

bruins1971
bruins1971 Member Posts: 227
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Just wondering for those of you in treatment how often does your Onc test your blood for CEA? Mine has not tested it since late September saying that he fully expects that the cancer is gone at this point. After removing the tumors from the colon in March and the liver in August along with the petscan back in April showing the cancer only in the liver he now feels that I am cancer free and God willing he is correct. He is a really great ONC who runs the clinic I am at for GI cancers. He came from MD Anderson in Houston which is one of the best cancer centers in America. I will finish up my 12th chemo in early January and then have a CT scan to see what's up. If they see anything abnormal he will then order a petscan. I can hardly believe that I am so close be being done. This day seemed like it was sooooo far away back in Feb was I was DX staring at colon and liver surgery with 12 rounds of chemo. I could not have made it without the support of my family, friends and of course my faith in God. I hope everyone is having a great day but again I was just wondering about the CEA number thing.

Bobby in Dallas

Comments

• karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    CEA
    My doctor checks my cea once or twice a year,and I have a cat scan once a year,but this year I had 2 because I had an intestinal infection.Good luck.
  • TxKayaker
    TxKayaker Member Posts: 176
    I on a every 6 month
    I on a every 6 month schedule in fact my next scan and blood tests are scheduled for the 17th of Dec.
    Mike in Carrollton
  • annad723
    annad723 Member Posts: 44
    CEA
    Hi Bobby,

Since I am still being treated, my onc tests my CEA at least once a month. So happy for you. I am not a candidate for surgery as I have multiple mets to the liver, both lobes. Am on my 4th different drug, still trying to hang on.

But so very very happy for you. A Christmas blessing indeed Bobby. May you feel only joy this Christmas season.

Much love--Anna
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    I am being tested
    Every 2 weeks right now simply because of the way my CT scans and CEA have been looking. And I am currently in my early FOLFOX treatments. The onc is watching for any signs of the chemo working or not and determining if the spots on my bones are responding or not
  • bruins1971
    TxKayaker said:

I on a every 6 month
    I on a every 6 month schedule in fact my next scan and blood tests are scheduled for the 17th of Dec.
    Mike in Carrollton

Hey Mike I work in Addison
    Hey Mike I work in Addison so I know Carrolton very well nice to see another DFW person on this site. What stage are you?
  • bruins1971
    annad723 said:

CEA
    Hi Bobby,

Since I am still being treated, my onc tests my CEA at least once a month. So happy for you. I am not a candidate for surgery as I have multiple mets to the liver, both lobes. Am on my 4th different drug, still trying to hang on.

But so very very happy for you. A Christmas blessing indeed Bobby. May you feel only joy this Christmas season.

Much love--Anna

Never give up Anna we can
    Never give up Anna we can always look to the Lord for hope and guidance. I am sure that we all go through the days where we all think we are just holding on yet somehow we always make it through. For me I believe that Jesus is there for me when I get down. I pray things get well for you and I too wish you a very Merry Christmas....

Bobby in Dallas
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    CEA
    My CEA is done @ least every 4 weeks + sometimes every two. I am in active treatment (chemo).
  • TxKayaker
    TxKayaker Member Posts: 176

Hey Mike I work in Addison
    Hey Mike I work in Addison so I know Carrolton very well nice to see another DFW person on this site. What stage are you?

Stage III -- Been NED since
    Stage III -- Been NED since surgery April 5 , 2009. Actually I work in the Oil & Gas Industry during the week I'm in Odessa commute back to DFW with our friends @ SWA on weekends been at this almost 3 years now.
    Lake Lewisville picture in my avatar.
    Take Care
  • bruins1971
    Lori-S said:

I am being tested
    Every 2 weeks right now simply because of the way my CT scans and CEA have been looking. And I am currently in my early FOLFOX treatments. The onc is watching for any signs of the chemo working or not and determining if the spots on my bones are responding or not

Prayers and good wishes are
    Prayers and good wishes are headed your way... stay positive..

bobby in dallas
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Bobby:
    George has been in some type of treatment since May, 2009 His CEA level is checked every 4 weeks, a couple of times went to 6/8 weeks. Generally, while in active treatment, CEA is checked routinely. Get your doc to run the blood test for you and you can compare the numbers. When George started this mess his numbers were up near 900 and during Folfox dropped to 17, but has been gradually going up since ending Folfox and have recently shot up so we know the cancer is on the move again and stronger chemo is around the corner.

Take care - Tina
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Blood
    During treatment blood was drawn every week for just the white/red count general stuff, but once a month for CEA. After treatment it was every three months for a year, now it is every six months.

Kim
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    geotina said:

Bobby:
    George has been in some type of treatment since May, 2009 His CEA level is checked every 4 weeks, a couple of times went to 6/8 weeks. Generally, while in active treatment, CEA is checked routinely. Get your doc to run the blood test for you and you can compare the numbers. When George started this mess his numbers were up near 900 and during Folfox dropped to 17, but has been gradually going up since ending Folfox and have recently shot up so we know the cancer is on the move again and stronger chemo is around the corner.

Take care - Tina

Hi Bobby!
    I get mine done every 4 weeks unless I feel a need to get it done sooner. Craig (Sundanceh) lives in Arlington. Go Cowboys!!!!

Jennie
  • Lori-S

Prayers and good wishes are
    Prayers and good wishes are headed your way... stay positive..

bobby in dallas

Thanks
    Bobby ... same to you!
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member

Blood
    During treatment blood was drawn every week for just the white/red count general stuff, but once a month for CEA. After treatment it was every three months for a year, now it is every six months.

Kim

Every two weeks just the day before my treatment !
    Hugs!
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    WOW, what was it in Sept?
    Maybe it is just me but I think your oncologist is being arrogant and assuming way too much. What if the chemo regime you are on isn't working, how long do you want to wait to find out?

I have never heard of any stage IV semi-colon in treatment that has gone 6 months without a scan of any kind or testing CEA in 3 months like you have done. Quite honestly I am stunned and it upsets me that he is playing with your life like he is.

I don't want to alarm you but I personally would be demanding scans and a full blood work-up ASAP. If you were at MD Anderson or any other comprehensive cancer center your CEA would be checked every time you got a chemo treatment right along with your other blood work and you would be getting scans every 6-8 weeks. Something doesn't sound right but again it could just be me and my belief that you drive your treatment plan or you might get run over.

In my soon to be 7 years on this site I have seen way too many fellow semi-colons passively accept what their docs tell them to just to find out it wasn't the right way to go and then it's too late to change the ultimate outcome.

Lisa P.
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Bobby
    Like Lisa, I'm a bit shocked as well. Since your chemo doesn't stop until January, I am very, very surprised he isn't testing and checking CEA every time the day or so before chemo. I can't imagine why he isn't doing this??? Your CEA could be up, your cancer could be there, and you have no idea. I don't think I could stand being in the dark that long.
    Winter Marie
  • Lori-S
    scouty said:

WOW, what was it in Sept?
    Maybe it is just me but I think your oncologist is being arrogant and assuming way too much. What if the chemo regime you are on isn't working, how long do you want to wait to find out?

I have never heard of any stage IV semi-colon in treatment that has gone 6 months without a scan of any kind or testing CEA in 3 months like you have done. Quite honestly I am stunned and it upsets me that he is playing with your life like he is.

I don't want to alarm you but I personally would be demanding scans and a full blood work-up ASAP. If you were at MD Anderson or any other comprehensive cancer center your CEA would be checked every time you got a chemo treatment right along with your other blood work and you would be getting scans every 6-8 weeks. Something doesn't sound right but again it could just be me and my belief that you drive your treatment plan or you might get run over.

In my soon to be 7 years on this site I have seen way too many fellow semi-colons passively accept what their docs tell them to just to find out it wasn't the right way to go and then it's too late to change the ultimate outcome.

Lisa P.

Lisa
    I would kind of agree with you just because of what my CEA has been showing both before and during chemo. Last visit I was told that if my CEA doesn't start showing a decrease soon we will assume that the FOLFOX isn't working for me. I'm happy to be having regular CEA draws while in chemo. My onc said that because my CEA is a good indicator for me (after getting a baseline before and after surgery and monitoring it since along with scans) that my CEA will show activity before anything will show on my CT scans. He said that the CEA will help him stay ahead of the cancer. We don't want to be playing catch up if we can help it.
  • Lori-S

Bobby
    Like Lisa, I'm a bit shocked as well. Since your chemo doesn't stop until January, I am very, very surprised he isn't testing and checking CEA every time the day or so before chemo. I can't imagine why he isn't doing this??? Your CEA could be up, your cancer could be there, and you have no idea. I don't think I could stand being in the dark that long.
    Winter Marie

Winter Marie
    I'm with you. I'm hoping that of course Bobby's onc is right. I'm sure we all are but, I'd be in a panic not knowing what my CEA is in my circumstance. The CEA isn't that expensive. Before I got this current onc, I had mine draw myself at a local lab. My climbing CEA is what pushed me towards finding an onc I was comfortable with and starting chemo. As you might remember one onc and the sugeon were saying I was only a IIc and didn't have to have chemo if I didn't want to. If I had gone by that Lord knows where I would be right now! I'd be a stage 4 seven months out with no treatement.
  • LivinginNH
    LivinginNH Member Posts: 1,456 Member
    Ok, ok, I simply can't stand

Ok, ok, I simply can't stand to hold my tongue any longer. Rick's CEA numbers before HIPEC were <0.9 - yes, less than ZERO - but the Pet/Ct found tumors in the peritoneal cavity that the CT alone simple couldn't pick up! As I've mentioned to you, he had liver surgery in March, 8 rounds of chemo as a "mop up", then, WHAM! - HIPEC surgery in early November. PLEASE change doctors or at least get a second opinion - you NEED a PET/CT!!! Dang, I'm sorry for my rant, but I just don't want you getting hit with a left hook at this point. Please remember, the CEA numbers just don't tell the whole picture! Truly, I'm very worried for you...

Cynthia
  • Lori-S

Ok, ok, I simply can't stand

Ok, ok, I simply can't stand to hold my tongue any longer. Rick's CEA numbers before HIPEC were <0.9 - yes, less than ZERO - but the Pet/Ct found tumors in the peritoneal cavity that the CT alone simple couldn't pick up! As I've mentioned to you, he had liver surgery in March, 8 rounds of chemo as a "mop up", then, WHAM! - HIPEC surgery in early November. PLEASE change doctors or at least get a second opinion - you NEED a PET/CT!!! Dang, I'm sorry for my rant, but I just don't want you getting hit with a left hook at this point. Please remember, the CEA numbers just don't tell the whole picture! Truly, I'm very worried for you...

Cynthia</p>

Yes Cynthia
    You are right. It's not JUST the CEA number. It's all the tests. Have to get the big picture.