Going on 23 year survivor of NHL - considered cured

bluerose
bluerose Member Posts: 1,104
edited March 2014 in Long-Term Survivors #1
Just officially joined the long term survivors group. Have been cancer free for 21 years but suffer with loads of late effects and side effects from the drugs and treatments. Go through bouts of new symptoms one after another and ongoing tests and issues that come and go and come and go.

Most days aren't too bad to deal with and others not so much. You all know how it goes, I don't have to tell you.

Looking forward to reading your experiences and sharing some of mine if you want.

Blessings,

Bluerose

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Welcome....
    Your story sounds familiar...but you give me something to reach for....21 YEARS!!!

I'm dancing!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • cathyp
    cathyp Member Posts: 376 Member
    KathiM said:

Welcome....
    Your story sounds familiar...but you give me something to reach for....21 YEARS!!!

I'm dancing!!!

Hugs, Kathi

21 years
    Dec 9 will be 21 years for me. Bluerose, I echo what you are saying about LT Effects. Hopefully we will all be able to stay on top of these LT effects and chug along, a day at a time.
    Cathy
    HD 1989-RADS
    HD 1994-ABVD
    IDC 2008-DMX
    recovering from hysterectomy of Nov 30-NO CANCER FOUND!!
  • bluerose
    KathiM said:

Welcome....

I'm dancing!!!

Hugs, Kathi

Keep dancing Kathi
    Cancer indeed can be cured today in many instances. You have ever reason to dance and feel hopefull. It was the doctors who used the word 'cured' to me so that says alot. In years gone by that word was even considered an option for a great many. Now it is. We are living in a new age of cancaer treatment and it will only get better from here.

All the best Kathi, hey is that the two step you are doing there? lol. Dance on.

Blessings,
    Bluerose
  • bluerose
    cathyp said:

21 years
    Dec 9 will be 21 years for me. Bluerose, I echo what you are saying about LT Effects. Hopefully we will all be able to stay on top of these LT effects and chug along, a day at a time.
    Cathy
    HD 1989-RADS
    HD 1994-ABVD
    IDC 2008-DMX

Hi Cathy
    Congrats Cathi on your long survivorship and the recent hysterectomy that ended with No Cancer. Fabulous.

Actually I think I am in for a D and C in January as they found some cysts in my uterine lining, just all of a sudden the lining got thick and there was no reason why. I am praying for the reason being the growth of benign cysts that have plumped the lining up and once gone that will be it. Always some new symptom coming up it seems, for years now. One day at a time.

All the best Cathy, keep up the good work.

Blessings,
    Bluerose
  • KathiM
    cathyp said:

21 years
    Cathy
    HD 1989-RADS
    HD 1994-ABVD
    IDC 2008-DMX

GREAT news!!!
    I'm glad you remain cancer free, cathy!!!!!!

You both are true inspirations for me! I'm just past 5 years...and my doctors are saying 'cured' as well on both...rectal stage III, breast stage II...

I was at a family birthday party last night. People I haven't seen in a few years...they asked how I was....I said, beside being part of the 'walking wounded' from long term effects, I am GREAT!!!!! (many of them looked worse that ME, and they have not faced cancer...ROFL!).

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    bluerose said:

Keep dancing Kathi
    Cancer indeed can be cured today in many instances. You have ever reason to dance and feel hopefull. It was the doctors who used the word 'cured' to me so that says alot. In years gone by that word was even considered an option for a great many. Now it is. We are living in a new age of cancaer treatment and it will only get better from here.

All the best Kathi, hey is that the two step you are doing there? lol. Dance on.

Blessings,
    Bluerose

Nah, it's the naked happy dance....
    One of my fellow semi-colons started it (danced naked outside in her back yard), and I picked it up!!!! LOL!

I am amazed at the changes in cancer treatments...research is finding ways to work with a person's immune system to fight off the cancer...hopefully, the days of long term effects will be over soon (a little late for us...but I always like to think that we were part of the pioneering of this)!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • cathyp
    bluerose said:

Hi Cathy
    Congrats Cathi on your long survivorship and the recent hysterectomy that ended with No Cancer. Fabulous.

Actually I think I am in for a D and C in January as they found some cysts in my uterine lining, just all of a sudden the lining got thick and there was no reason why. I am praying for the reason being the growth of benign cysts that have plumped the lining up and once gone that will be it. Always some new symptom coming up it seems, for years now. One day at a time.

All the best Cathy, keep up the good work.

Blessings,
    Bluerose

Good Luck w/your D&C
    Wishing you the best for your upcoming D&C. Keep us posted. In the meantime, positive thoughts being sent your way.
    Cathy
  • cathyp
    KathiM said:

GREAT news!!!
    I'm glad you remain cancer free, cathy!!!!!!

You both are true inspirations for me! I'm just past 5 years...and my doctors are saying 'cured' as well on both...rectal stage III, breast stage II...

I was at a family birthday party last night. People I haven't seen in a few years...they asked how I was....I said, beside being part of the 'walking wounded' from long term effects, I am GREAT!!!!! (many of them looked worse that ME, and they have not faced cancer...ROFL!).

Hugs, Kathi

Yes...5+ years...fantastic!
    I like your "walking wounded" analogy!!

Thanks for your thoughts and continued good health to you!
    Cathy
  • bluerose
    cathyp said:

Good Luck w/your D&C
    Wishing you the best for your upcoming D&C. Keep us posted. In the meantime, positive thoughts being sent your way.
    Cathy

Hey Cathy
    Thanks for the well wishes on the surgery. Today though I was actually thinking of cancelling the pre op on Thursday, well not cancelling just moving to January. My daughter is coming home for Christmas for the first time in 5 years, last time I will see her as a aingle lady she is getting married next year and I don't want to think about cancer just before her visit. I have mixed vibes about this feedback on Thursday, can't get a handle on if I am scared or feel it's nothing or what. Kind of unusual actually for me. Something is telling me to go anywho but not sure it's a good idea. Have to think on this more.

Anyways I will let you know when I find out results. Positive thoughts sent my way would be good right about now, many back to you too. Thank you.

Blessings,
    Bluerose
  • bluerose
    KathiM said:

Nah, it's the naked happy dance....
    One of my fellow semi-colons started it (danced naked outside in her back yard), and I picked it up!!!! LOL!

I am amazed at the changes in cancer treatments...research is finding ways to work with a person's immune system to fight off the cancer...hopefully, the days of long term effects will be over soon (a little late for us...but I always like to think that we were part of the pioneering of this)!!!

Hugs, Kathi

Thanks for the image, lol
    That brought a smile to my face, thanks for that.

I too like that 'walking wounded' phrase, it certainly fits as I gimp through my days and weeks. lol

I too am amazed at all the changes since I was first diagnosed. My GP, who has been with me forever and has seen me throw the before and after times of cancer, used to send me for CT's at the drop of a hat just to make sure things were alright with whatever symptom I was displaying at the time and now she won't send me for one after they found out that more rads were coming off the machine than they thought. Geez, I should be glowing in the dark by now with all the CT's I have had in 23 years.

Also a sign of the times is when I tell people my story of the bone marrow transplant I had and include the part about total body radiation and if the person is in the medical field them look kind of scared and say 'oh, they don't do that much anymore'. Sheeesh, I wonder why? Don't tell me, I know.

Anywho I am going to have to gimp off into the sunset, housework is calling my name - yuck. Gimp, gimp, gimp (that's me walking away from the computer, lol).

Later folks
    Bluerose
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Wow 23 years. But the cured
    Wow 23 years. But the cured part is the best! Congrats!
  • bluerose
    Marcia527 said:

Wow 23 years. But the cured
    Wow 23 years. But the cured part is the best! Congrats!

It's amazing alright
    Hi Marcia,

About 40 years ago my Grandmother was diagnosed with the same kind of cancer I was, non hodgkins lymphoma, and there was little they could do for her. Harsh chemo and rads and she passed fairly soon after diagnosed. Flash forward to 20 and a bit years later and they cured me using new techniques and drugs. Docs are using the word 'cured' for many survivors these days and just think what another 20 years will bring. Hopefully they will obliterate this nasty (bleep).

There is all kinds of reasons for hope nowadays, never give up, if there is no cure now for a cancer one could be right around the corner.

Blessings,
    Bluerose
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    bluerose said:

It's amazing alright
    Hi Marcia,

About 40 years ago my Grandmother was diagnosed with the same kind of cancer I was, non hodgkins lymphoma, and there was little they could do for her. Harsh chemo and rads and she passed fairly soon after diagnosed. Flash forward to 20 and a bit years later and they cured me using new techniques and drugs. Docs are using the word 'cured' for many survivors these days and just think what another 20 years will bring. Hopefully they will obliterate this nasty (bleep).

There is all kinds of reasons for hope nowadays, never give up, if there is no cure now for a cancer one could be right around the corner.

Blessings,
    Bluerose

Wonderful!
    Truly inspiring posts here. Yes, we all hope for a true cure - for all types of cancers.

Kind regards, Susan
  • bluerose

Wonderful!
    Truly inspiring posts here. Yes, we all hope for a true cure - for all types of cancers.

Kind regards, Susan

And cures are happening ....
    all the time for many many types of cancers.

Cures around the corner, much reason to have faith and hope for 100% cure rates in the near future. I like the look of that number.

Thank you for your post Susan.

All the best in 2011.

Blessings,
    Bluerose
  • Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Not a long term survivour yet
    but 21 years oh my, may you have many more.
  • bluerose
    Sonia32 said:

Not a long term survivour yet
    but 21 years oh my, may you have many more.

Hi Sonia
    How many years have you been a survivor? I like the way you headed your post to me 'not a long term survivor YET'. Love the 'yet' part, shows positivity and that is important.

You will be at 21 years survivorship too with that postitive attitude. All the best Sonia.

Blessings,
    Bluerose
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    bluerose said:

Hi Sonia
    How many years have you been a survivor? I like the way you headed your post to me 'not a long term survivor YET'. Love the 'yet' part, shows positivity and that is important.

You will be at 21 years survivorship too with that postitive attitude. All the best Sonia.

Blessings,
    Bluerose

Gosh, how wonderful!
    You ladies look radiant and beautiful!

I'll be reaching 5 years this February 14th 2011.

Blessings and hugs to you all,

Sylvia
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    sea60 said:

Gosh, how wonderful!
    You ladies look radiant and beautiful!

I'll be reaching 5 years this February 14th 2011.

Blessings and hugs to you all,

Sylvia

Congratulations to all
    congratulations to all of you.
    Being cured for 23, 21, 8, 7, 5!!!! Or in remission, who cares about medical terms , to me as long as you live happy and productive life.
    Unfortunately, side effects will be with us
    Hugs
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Hi Bluerose
    Congratulations on being cured and all you others who have been ca free for so long. I too have been lucky ,I am entering year 14 still free of colon ca and also considered cured. Now if I can just survive the long term side effects of the chemo ect. Thats why I so admire you ,surviving survival ain't easy,Ron.
  • bluerose
    ron50 said:

Hi Bluerose
    Congratulations on being cured and all you others who have been ca free for so long. I too have been lucky ,I am entering year 14 still free of colon ca and also considered cured. Now if I can just survive the long term side effects of the chemo ect. Thats why I so admire you ,surviving survival ain't easy,Ron.

Surviving survival - that's a good one
    Isn't that the truth Ron. The side effects are the biggest shock to survivors after the initial diagnosis. I think sometimes we all walk around in a shock state at what the long term implications of some of these side effects are. Someone described it on these boards as being 'the walking wounded', that about sums it up.

Congrats on your 14 year cure. Fantastic.

Stupid stupid side effects, lol.

Blessings,
    Bluerose