has anyone gone to a shaman for healing??

maggie_wilson
maggie_wilson Member Posts: 596
sisters,

i just got the name of two shamans, one an older nepalese woman who travels around the world, and is only here infrequently. i am on a list to be notified of her return to this area, possibly in 4 months. she apparently has quite a following, and is one of the 13 grandmothers from nepal working for world peace. the other shaman is a man located in san francisco, who i will contact, and see if i can make an appointment. can't imagine it will hurt to try this. funny, for a non spiritual person, i'm definitely into the out- of -the -ordinary healing practices.

as many of us have remarked here, it's a crap shoot. just the other day i got a fortune from a fortune cookie that said: "what you're worried about, won't happen." and i thought, heck, i'll take that, better than a lot of the statistics i've read, and other forecasts of doom and gloom, since nobody really knows what's going to happen, or how to treat cancer except in the most conventional and toxic ways, and what really heals and what doesn't. we're all pretty much in the dark re: cancer, and we all make the best decisions we can with limited knowledge, and that includes our doctors' limited knowledge as well. it's interesting to me that there are so many different treatment protocols for the same cancer, according to where we live in the country, different doctors' preferences, and differing opinions amongst our physicians re: the use of ca 125, ct/pet scans, radiation, etc. we all really have to pick our way through a myriad of choices, and how can we ever really know beforehand? sigh....all i know, is that i'm grateful for having all of you here. and i'm glad that there are people out there thinking outside the box.

sisterhood,
maggie

Comments

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Hello Maggie:
    Sorry I can't

Hello Maggie:

Sorry I can't really help you here, but something you said struck me funny. You said forecast of doom and gloom and it got me to thinking that all of this is like meteorology. Or the daily weather report. The forecast is constantly changing and although it might seem like a F5 tornado or a Cat 5 hurricane, sometimes it just fizzled to a strong storm, some rain, windy, then just breezy. As it proceeds, it becomes partly cloudy, until we see the sun again. Yes, it is true that sometimes we do have to bear storms, but for most part we can handle most of the weather.

Hope this makes you smile!

My best to you regarding your shaman!

Kathy
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member
    Amazing Maggie
    Maggie,

I always find your posts so interesting. I had never really even thought about a shaman...in fact I have to admit I really had no concept of how shamanism worked. As a result I googled the topic and found it very fascinating!! One site I found for just a broad look at the topic is: http://www.shamanlinks.net/index.htm

I can't see how it could ever cause any harm. I must read more as it is very interesting. I love how you are always exploring healing in non-traditional ways!! I really do think that there is room for many complementary approaches to healing. It is obvious that "one size fits all" just doesn't work very well. But that is what most physicians are comfortable with, unfortunately. More chemicals, more radiation, more cutting. Hmmmm...couldn't there maybe be MORE involved??? Like where does one's mind and spirit fit in?

I can hardly wait for your return from Bolinas....it sounds like such a wonderful, supportive community! I have forgotten when you head there....but in any case, I know you will make the most of every opportunity that you have. The meals, massages, and beauty of the surroundings, plus all of the new information you will learn sounds simply intoxicating!!

Enjoy every minute of it!!

Sending healing thoughts and positive energy your way!

Karen
  • maggie_wilson
    Kaleena said:

Hello Maggie:
    Sorry I can't

Hello Maggie:

Sorry I can't really help you here, but something you said struck me funny. You said forecast of doom and gloom and it got me to thinking that all of this is like meteorology. Or the daily weather report. The forecast is constantly changing and although it might seem like a F5 tornado or a Cat 5 hurricane, sometimes it just fizzled to a strong storm, some rain, windy, then just breezy. As it proceeds, it becomes partly cloudy, until we see the sun again. Yes, it is true that sometimes we do have to bear storms, but for most part we can handle most of the weather.

Hope this makes you smile!

My best to you regarding your shaman!

Kathy

kathy

that was a great metaphor! for what we go through. really works, and i enjoyed it. glad you posted it. it sure fits. thanx.

sisterhood, maggie
  • maggie_wilson
    kkstef said:

Amazing Maggie
    Maggie,

I always find your posts so interesting. I had never really even thought about a shaman...in fact I have to admit I really had no concept of how shamanism worked. As a result I googled the topic and found it very fascinating!! One site I found for just a broad look at the topic is: http://www.shamanlinks.net/index.htm

I can't see how it could ever cause any harm. I must read more as it is very interesting. I love how you are always exploring healing in non-traditional ways!! I really do think that there is room for many complementary approaches to healing. It is obvious that "one size fits all" just doesn't work very well. But that is what most physicians are comfortable with, unfortunately. More chemicals, more radiation, more cutting. Hmmmm...couldn't there maybe be MORE involved??? Like where does one's mind and spirit fit in?

I can hardly wait for your return from Bolinas....it sounds like such a wonderful, supportive community! I have forgotten when you head there....but in any case, I know you will make the most of every opportunity that you have. The meals, massages, and beauty of the surroundings, plus all of the new information you will learn sounds simply intoxicating!!

Enjoy every minute of it!!

Sending healing thoughts and positive energy your way!

Karen

karen
    i, too, enjoy and appreciate all of your thoughtful, kind and reasonable posts. i'll let you know re: shaman, if i can get an appointment or two.
    we're leaving for bolinas monday morning, and while it will be great in most ways, it will also be difficult. e.g., wednesday night circle we all talk about our thoughts about death and dying, what we think happens after we die, what we are most afraid of--suffering, dying, death, etc. sounds like a lot of fun, yes??? but, necessary, i think. commonweal says the anxiety in the room goes way down when people start talking about their thoughts and feelings re: death. that's good to know. alot of what happens at commonweal is all about the mind and spirit; i think i have to develop more of a sense of my spirituality, and not just say "poker" when i'm asked. though, since most of us think cancer is a crap shoot, i think it makes sense to extend the idea to life itself--luck of the draw who we're born to, our genes, where we're born, etc.

i'm really looking forward to meeting the 10 other women besides us there, plus staff; i'll probably learn as much from the residents as the leaders. as it happens this time it's all women, not usually the case, except for one man who leads it, and who is supposed to be great. so that sounds all good, too. mostly it's women with cancer or who've had cancer, and one caregiver who's husband has died, and jena, my partner. i'm glad there will be another caregiver there, but sorry her husband has died--not all that comforting to my partner. still, they'll be able to relate. jena keeps saying she wishes we were going to hawaii instead, which i almost agree with.

will post when i return; hopefully i'll have things i've learned that will be relevant to us all. thanx for your healing thoughts and positive energy, as always.

hugs and sisterhood,
    maggie
  • Songflower
    Songflower Member Posts: 608

karen
    i, too, enjoy and appreciate all of your thoughtful, kind and reasonable posts. i'll let you know re: shaman, if i can get an appointment or two.
    we're leaving for bolinas monday morning, and while it will be great in most ways, it will also be difficult. e.g., wednesday night circle we all talk about our thoughts about death and dying, what we think happens after we die, what we are most afraid of--suffering, dying, death, etc. sounds like a lot of fun, yes??? but, necessary, i think. commonweal says the anxiety in the room goes way down when people start talking about their thoughts and feelings re: death. that's good to know. alot of what happens at commonweal is all about the mind and spirit; i think i have to develop more of a sense of my spirituality, and not just say "poker" when i'm asked. though, since most of us think cancer is a crap shoot, i think it makes sense to extend the idea to life itself--luck of the draw who we're born to, our genes, where we're born, etc.

i'm really looking forward to meeting the 10 other women besides us there, plus staff; i'll probably learn as much from the residents as the leaders. as it happens this time it's all women, not usually the case, except for one man who leads it, and who is supposed to be great. so that sounds all good, too. mostly it's women with cancer or who've had cancer, and one caregiver who's husband has died, and jena, my partner. i'm glad there will be another caregiver there, but sorry her husband has died--not all that comforting to my partner. still, they'll be able to relate. jena keeps saying she wishes we were going to hawaii instead, which i almost agree with.

will post when i return; hopefully i'll have things i've learned that will be relevant to us all. thanx for your healing thoughts and positive energy, as always.

hugs and sisterhood,
    maggie

Shaman
    I didn't got to a Shaman and I also, do not know what she is. I did go to a priest who gave me the sacrament of the sick. He was so uplifting, so kind, so warm. He is Vietnamese and I had to listen hard to catch the words but I did get all the meaning. It just made me feel better to have someone pray with me and for me during the treatments. I wish there were female priests to go to; we are not there yet. I am spiritual but not really churchy and religious. For me this was a good experience. I went with my daughter and she had the same feeling about him, that his kindness and love warmed us inside when we were afraid.

I love your metaphor with the storm and weather. Our illness is so variable, sometimes I feel crushed by a big storm and other times the sun comes out in ways I've never seen it before.

Love,
    Diane
  • maggie_wilson

Shaman
    I didn't got to a Shaman and I also, do not know what she is. I did go to a priest who gave me the sacrament of the sick. He was so uplifting, so kind, so warm. He is Vietnamese and I had to listen hard to catch the words but I did get all the meaning. It just made me feel better to have someone pray with me and for me during the treatments. I wish there were female priests to go to; we are not there yet. I am spiritual but not really churchy and religious. For me this was a good experience. I went with my daughter and she had the same feeling about him, that his kindness and love warmed us inside when we were afraid.

I love your metaphor with the storm and weather. Our illness is so variable, sometimes I feel crushed by a big storm and other times the sun comes out in ways I've never seen it before.

Love,
    Diane

diane,
    thanx for your response. actually, a shaman is not so different from a priest in some ways; very spiritual, uses energy healing, supposedly has the power to heal. the one i have in mind is a man, one of two shamans a woman--a friend of a friend--went to when she couldn't have been sicker with cancer, and today she's well. who knows? actually, the weather metaphor was something kathy used from something i'd said that made her think of weather. it does work, doesn't it.

hope you're feeling ok, diane, it's always good to get your posts.

sisterhood and hugs,
    maggie
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

diane,
    thanx for your response. actually, a shaman is not so different from a priest in some ways; very spiritual, uses energy healing, supposedly has the power to heal. the one i have in mind is a man, one of two shamans a woman--a friend of a friend--went to when she couldn't have been sicker with cancer, and today she's well. who knows? actually, the weather metaphor was something kathy used from something i'd said that made her think of weather. it does work, doesn't it.

hope you're feeling ok, diane, it's always good to get your posts.

sisterhood and hugs,
    maggie

Anxiously awaiting your return
    and you haven't even left yet! I think most humans have a sense of spirituality no matter how we express/practice it. Cancer certainly makes us stand up and pay attention to our mortality, and quest for answers and peace. I'm searching for something but haven't quite figured out what it is yet, but it's missing in my Methodist background. I feel like it needs a supplement.

Thank you, Maggie, for bringinging your experiences to my attention. I will be anxiously awaiting your return and information.

Suzanne
  • llight
    llight Member Posts: 99
    Horse Boy movie
    Hi Maggie,

A family with an autistic child traveled to Mongolia in search of shamanic-healing experiences. You may want to watch it. It's a fascinating story.

http://www.horseboymovie.com/Film.php

Also, have you considered animal therapy as an adjuvant therapy? The oxytocin that surges thru our bodies from contact with animals is only one positive aspect of this therapy.

llight
  • bots
    bots Member Posts: 53
    llight said:

Horse Boy movie
    Hi Maggie,

A family with an autistic child traveled to Mongolia in search of shamanic-healing experiences. You may want to watch it. It's a fascinating story.

Also, have you considered animal therapy as an adjuvant therapy? The oxytocin that surges thru our bodies from contact with animals is only one positive aspect of this therapy.

llight

Animal Therapy
    llight,

We got a golden retriever puppy a month before I was diagnosed. I can't begin to imagine going through the surgery, chemo, etc. without her. She is so loving and funny that she really keeps my spirits up. In fact, she is cuddled up next to me right now.

Lori
  • llight
    bots said:

Animal Therapy
    llight,

We got a golden retriever puppy a month before I was diagnosed. I can't begin to imagine going through the surgery, chemo, etc. without her. She is so loving and funny that she really keeps my spirits up. In fact, she is cuddled up next to me right now.

Lori

Hi Lori,

I'm so glad you have your puppy. I am not surprised at all to hear how helpful she's been to you during this journey. :) Oxytocin, like I mentioned, is just one of the biochemical gifts she is giving you to help boost your immune system and health. Think of her as one of your healers b/c she is. I'm so happy you have her. :)

llight

PS: I have info I'm happy to share w/ anyone about this.
  • barb55
    barb55 Member Posts: 91
    go for it
    maggie, I say go for it. It certainly won't hurt and it may produce something remarkable. There is a lot in our lives we can't control, but we sure can control our ability to say "yes" and open ourselves up to whatever healing or wisdom is out there and whatever makes us feel better. I wish all my friends on this blog a beautiful joyful holiday season. This community is a healing community of friendship and sharing and very important.
    Barb
  • maggie_wilson
    llight said:

Horse Boy movie
    Hi Maggie,

llight

will check out horseboy movie when i get home, thanx

llight, does having a dog already count as animal therapy? we have an adorable airedale, very sensitive, sweet , funny and stubborn. love thqt oxtocin.

we're still at commonweal, and the wifi is working at the moment, so thought i'd take advantage of it. am getting alot out of being here. will debrief when i 'm settled back at home.

sisterhood,
    maggie
  • llight

will check out horseboy movie when i get home, thanx

llight, does having a dog already count as animal therapy? we have an adorable airedale, very sensitive, sweet , funny and stubborn. love thqt oxtocin.

we're still at commonweal, and the wifi is working at the moment, so thought i'd take advantage of it. am getting alot out of being here. will debrief when i 'm settled back at home.

sisterhood,
    maggie

Pets as animal therapy
    Maggie, yes, having a pet can have theraputic benefits. The benefits come from relating...gazing, sharing affection, love, cuddles, anything that elicits "gooey" feelings. Petting especially releases alot of oxytocin which benefits our immune system.

Glad to hear you are enjoying commonweal and look forward to your debriefing after you're settled back in at home.

llight
  • daisy366
    daisy366 Member Posts: 1,458 Member
    barb55 said:

go for it
    maggie, I say go for it. It certainly won't hurt and it may produce something remarkable. There is a lot in our lives we can't control, but we sure can control our ability to say "yes" and open ourselves up to whatever healing or wisdom is out there and whatever makes us feel better. I wish all my friends on this blog a beautiful joyful holiday season. This community is a healing community of friendship and sharing and very important.
    Barb

Maggie,
    As you probably know, I'm all for alternative treatments. I have read book written by MD about his experience working in Native American culture. He talks about their healing rituals and the power of BELIEF!! - mind-body connection. He cited his observations of healing via medicine man.

I personally know a woman (fellow therapist) diagnosed with liver cancer decades ago who used a shaman and other alternative methods. She was cured of cancer!! Actually her story motivated me to read Simonton.

I am very interested in your experience. I think talking about the hard issues like death, would be very therapeutic. I am working on these things in isolation - except for this forum. I am considering asking my doc to keep track of CA125s and just blindly getting tests every 6 weeks without the worry of knowing the number - I would trust my doc to alert me to any concerns along the way. My husband thinks this is crazy. I am trying very hard to be positive and think total cure - to not let doubt and fear creep into my psyche. Chester has a way of creeping back in!!

We can't fault our docs for their viewpoint since they are scientists - and base their work on research.

Looking forward to getting your feedback. Love, Mary Ann
  • GracieGold
    GracieGold Member Posts: 23 Member
    daisy366 said:

Maggie,
    As you probably know, I'm all for alternative treatments. I have read book written by MD about his experience working in Native American culture. He talks about their healing rituals and the power of BELIEF!! - mind-body connection. He cited his observations of healing via medicine man.

I personally know a woman (fellow therapist) diagnosed with liver cancer decades ago who used a shaman and other alternative methods. She was cured of cancer!! Actually her story motivated me to read Simonton.

I am very interested in your experience. I think talking about the hard issues like death, would be very therapeutic. I am working on these things in isolation - except for this forum. I am considering asking my doc to keep track of CA125s and just blindly getting tests every 6 weeks without the worry of knowing the number - I would trust my doc to alert me to any concerns along the way. My husband thinks this is crazy. I am trying very hard to be positive and think total cure - to not let doubt and fear creep into my psyche. Chester has a way of creeping back in!!

We can't fault our docs for their viewpoint since they are scientists - and base their work on research.

Shaman
    I too look forward to hearing more about the Shaman sessions if you are able to arrange it. I have had Matrix Energetics treatments (http://www.matrixenergetics.com/) from a woman in my area. It was very relaxing. I don't know if it has helped since I don't have any symptoms, but I am sure that it can't hurt. I will have a scan next month and hopefully all will be clear. I am also interested to hear what you have to say about Commonweal.
  • bots
    bots Member Posts: 53
    daisy366 said:

Maggie,

Mary Ann - CA125s
    I don't think that your idea re CA125's is crazy at all. I sometimes think the stress of the CA125 is more harmful than the good they do. My lowest CA125 was after I was diagnosed but before I had the surgery. My last one went up two points, still in the normal range, and I lost sleep for a week before I saw my oncologist. Now that is crazy!

Best, Lori
  • WindAndRaven
    WindAndRaven Member Posts: 1 *

Yes I did. Liver cancer. I survived and am cancer free. I wrote a book about it.