Hopeful One
Hopeful One Member Posts: 5
Hello everyone,

I am new here and hope to learn from you all. My husband was diagnosed with B-cell lymphoma in July. He's been getting R-CHOP every 21 days, with 8 treatments. The last treatment will be on December 16th. Then we wait a couple of weeks to get a PET scan. After that, they may send him for daily radiation. We just don't know yet.

It's been a hard road. Our oncologist says there is a good chance for a cure. My concern is his ki-67 level. It was over 90%. Can anyone tell me what this means? I worry so, but I try to be hopeful while being realistic. Is that even possible?

My prayers to all ~ Hana

Comments

• vinny59
    vinny59 Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    ki?
    Welcome Hana, I was diagnosis the month before with B cell lymphoma, I'm not familiar with his ki level, can you elaborate? and yes it is possible to realistic, while being hopeful! Let me know, Vinny
  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573
    Welcome
    Hi Hana Sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis. I had Follicular NHL. I was diagnosed in Jan09 and had R-Chop 6 rounds every 21 days. I was cancer free 3 months after I started chemo and have been ever since. No radiation. I feel good and have energy . I feel blessed everyday. I know he will do well. Hang in there . It is hard on the caregiver too! Stay stong and God bless Joanie
  • Hopeful One
    vinny59 said:

ki?
    Welcome Hana, I was diagnosis the month before with B cell lymphoma, I'm not familiar with his ki level, can you elaborate? and yes it is possible to realistic, while being hopeful! Let me know, Vinny

Ki-67
    Hi Vinny,

As I understand, the Ki-67 value indicates how rapidly the cancer cells are replicating. The higher the number, the faster they replicate. A low Ki-67 value is around 40% or lower, a high value is 80% or greater. My husband's is 90%.

I am not positive, but I think the higher the Ki-67 value, the more agressive the cancer is. I wonder (and worry) that his high value could ultimately affect his prognosis. I want him around for at least another 30 years, happy and healthy.

Are you getting RCHOP? If so, how are you doing?
  • Hopeful One
    JoanieP said:

Welcome
    Hi Hana Sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis. I had Follicular NHL. I was diagnosed in Jan09 and had R-Chop 6 rounds every 21 days. I was cancer free 3 months after I started chemo and have been ever since. No radiation. I feel good and have energy . I feel blessed everyday. I know he will do well. Hang in there . It is hard on the caregiver too! Stay stong and God bless Joanie

Thank you!
    Thank you, Joanie!

And congratulations on such wonderful news. I love those words "cancer free". And hope those will be the words we hear after treatment is finished. Just one more to go - Dec 16th - then we wait two weeks to get the PET scan.

We just had our first grandson a year ago. I want him to get to know his grandfather, to go fishing with him, and feel that enormous love. So I long to hear those glorious words to be spoken to us. Thanks again. Please keep us in your prayers!

Hana
  • vinny59

Ki-67
    Hi Vinny,

As I understand, the Ki-67 value indicates how rapidly the cancer cells are replicating. The higher the number, the faster they replicate. A low Ki-67 value is around 40% or lower, a high value is 80% or greater. My husband's is 90%.

I am not positive, but I think the higher the Ki-67 value, the more agressive the cancer is. I wonder (and worry) that his high value could ultimately affect his prognosis. I want him around for at least another 30 years, happy and healthy.

Are you getting RCHOP? If so, how are you doing?

ki
    I recieved eight treetments of R-Chop, I to had a aggressive cancer. I was at stage 4 because of bone involvement, it was a rough ride, and I'm happy to say that the cancer is gone! This is my second battle with cancer,as I had head and neck cancer three years ago. Tell your husband that it will get better! This is a very treatable cancer with a high rate of recovery. Keep the faith...... Vinny
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    Very Treatable
    Hana,
    Just keep in mind the recovery rate for this type of cancer is very high. Sometimes the road to it is rough, but when its through it was well worth the trip. Just hang in there. John(FNHL-1-4A-5/10) REMISSION
  • Hopeful One
    vinny59 said:

ki
    I recieved eight treetments of R-Chop, I to had a aggressive cancer. I was at stage 4 because of bone involvement, it was a rough ride, and I'm happy to say that the cancer is gone! This is my second battle with cancer,as I had head and neck cancer three years ago. Tell your husband that it will get better! This is a very treatable cancer with a high rate of recovery. Keep the faith...... Vinny

Thank you!!
    Vinny,

You have no idea (or maybe you do!) how helpful your words are to us!! My hubby is stage 2 and it has been hard. He will get his 8th treatment of RCHOP just days after his 62 birthday. Sometimes it seems only darkness is at the end of the tunnel, and keeping faith is hard. They say they may do radiation treatment afterwards because his tumor was bulky. But we won't know until probably around the first of the year how well treatment has gone, and if radiation will follow.

How long have you been out of treatment? I rejoice that you are such a success - twice!

Hana
  • Hopeful One
    COBRA666 said:

Very Treatable
    Hana,
    Just keep in mind the recovery rate for this type of cancer is very high. Sometimes the road to it is rough, but when its through it was well worth the trip. Just hang in there. John(FNHL-1-4A-5/10) REMISSION

Good news
    Thanks so for your encouraging words! I will try to remember that recovery is very high for this cancer. The docs say he has a nearly 70% chance for a cure. I know these are amazing odds. Yet, I keep thinking about the alternative - what if we need to do an autologus bone marrow transplant...but that is crossing a bridge before we get there, huh? I need to start thinking about the glass being 70% full, not 30% empty.

Love the saying 'when its through it was well worth the trip.' Here's looking forward to our happily ever after.

It's the not knowing that is the worst.
  • vinny59

Thank you!!
    Vinny,

You have no idea (or maybe you do!) how helpful your words are to us!! My hubby is stage 2 and it has been hard. He will get his 8th treatment of RCHOP just days after his 62 birthday. Sometimes it seems only darkness is at the end of the tunnel, and keeping faith is hard. They say they may do radiation treatment afterwards because his tumor was bulky. But we won't know until probably around the first of the year how well treatment has gone, and if radiation will follow.

How long have you been out of treatment? I rejoice that you are such a success - twice!

Hana

your welcome
    I have been out of treatment for about six weeks now, I have follow up visits monthly, and will be having PET Scans 4 times a year. I went back to work on the first of December, I'm tired but I will take it!!!! If it goes completely away, I think that he will not need radiation, Best wishes, Vinny
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member

Good news
    Thanks so for your encouraging words! I will try to remember that recovery is very high for this cancer. The docs say he has a nearly 70% chance for a cure. I know these are amazing odds. Yet, I keep thinking about the alternative - what if we need to do an autologus bone marrow transplant...but that is crossing a bridge before we get there, huh? I need to start thinking about the glass being 70% full, not 30% empty.

Love the saying 'when its through it was well worth the trip.' Here's looking forward to our happily ever after.

It's the not knowing that is the worst.

Thinking ahead...
    Hi Hana,
    Try not to think about the "what if's"! I know it's easier said than done, but if we let our minds trip about the alternatives or dwell on what will happen next "IF" treatments don't work,...well..all we accomplish is keeping ourselves sick with worry instead of staying positive...ya know? I'm down to my last treatment and I caught myself worrying about "what if" I'm not in remission..."what if" I have to do more treatments and before I knew it, I had myself in a terrible funk! We will probably always worry to some extent if we are "going to be ok", but we just can't let those thoughts rule our daily lives. Keep thinking positive thoughts and come here when your thoughts get scary...we can all help each other to stay in a "happy place" with our thinking. I'll keep you and your hubby in my prayers. Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • gmarro
    gmarro Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2019 #12
    Ki-67

I am also trying to figure out the meaning of Ki-67, I have read different articles and none of them explain in detail or give a definitive conclusion.  My husbands KI-67 was 80%. He has Mantle Cell Lymphoma which just relapsed after 4 years. I intend to discuss this further with his doctor and get a detaliled explanation if such a thing exist.  

• lindary
    lindary Member Posts: 711 Member
    ki-67

This is an old thread. It wold be better for you to start a new thread for your question.