Biopsy Results - Joining the club

JohnBinDC
JohnBinDC Member Posts: 91 Member
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I received the preliminary results of my biopsy today. I have stage 3A NSCLC. Further testing of the specimens will help determine the treatment plan and if the lung cancer is primary, which I believe it is. My hospital is Walter Reed, but I am going to ask for a referral to Johns Hopkins for a second opinion on the treatment plan.

Since first posting here last week, I have been on the board several times and am grateful for the people who share their experiences and hope with others. I hope I can make a contribution as we fight this disease.

Best wishes to all and thanks for the information you share. This is a membership card I did not want, but I am glad this support network is available. 20 years ago there treatments were inferior to today and there were no support gropups on the internet!

John

Comments

• catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    Sounds like you are on the
    Sounds like you are on the right path. Good luck and God bless
  • hdbilly1
    hdbilly1 Member Posts: 24
    we're here for ya!!!
    hang in there john. we all can relate and we'll be here for ya. my thoughts and prayers will be with you, bill
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    John
    Hi John, Sorry about the results. I think its an excellent idea to get a second opinion for the treatment plan. I wish you well and keep us updated. Lori
  • mamacita5
    mamacita5 Member Posts: 254 Member
    Best Wishes John
    I'm 3a too. I am feeling pretty good after surgery, chemo, and rads. I worked all through my radiation and although I was extremely tired, I did fine. I took my first yoga class tonight and I'm feeling great. With all it's ups and downs, try to keep a good attitude and you'll do well too.
  • JohnBinDC
    mamacita5 said:

Best Wishes John
    I'm 3a too. I am feeling pretty good after surgery, chemo, and rads. I worked all through my radiation and although I was extremely tired, I did fine. I took my first yoga class tonight and I'm feeling great. With all it's ups and downs, try to keep a good attitude and you'll do well too.

Thanks for the well wishes, but yoga?
    Thanks much for the info and well wishes. I don't think I'll try yoga though! Last time I tried the insructror chewed me out for my lack of flexibility. (That's lack of physical flexibility!:) Think I'll stick to running and have already challenged my son to run in the 2012 Rock and Roll Arizona half marathon.

I am interested in seeing what treatment plan my doc recommends. I don 't have an oncologist yet, but expect that referral today.

Your results are encouraging and I am looking forward to feeling better. I have not felt well in several months.

Thanks!

John
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    JohnBinDC said:

Thanks for the well wishes, but yoga?
    Thanks much for the info and well wishes. I don't think I'll try yoga though! Last time I tried the insructror chewed me out for my lack of flexibility. (That's lack of physical flexibility!:) Think I'll stick to running and have already challenged my son to run in the 2012 Rock and Roll Arizona half marathon.

I am interested in seeing what treatment plan my doc recommends. I don 't have an oncologist yet, but expect that referral today.

Your results are encouraging and I am looking forward to feeling better. I have not felt well in several months.

Thanks!

John

Wishing you the best
    So sorry about the biopsy results but would like to wish you the best throughout your treatment. You sound like you have a positive attitude which will help you through your treatment. NEVER give up!!!

Stay strong,
    Glenna
  • JohnBinDC
    Glenna M said:

Wishing you the best
    So sorry about the biopsy results but would like to wish you the best throughout your treatment. You sound like you have a positive attitude which will help you through your treatment. NEVER give up!!!

Stay strong,
    Glenna

Thanks Glenna
    Thanks much Glenna. I love the photo of your young man! As you know, there are a lot of emotional ups and downs that come with a cancer diagnosis, but I agree that a positive outlook is one of the best tools a person can have when approaching treatment, in addition to a healthy amount of research/questioning.

Best wishes to you. I see you are an early riser too!

John
  • hope0310
    hope0310 Member Posts: 320
    JohnBinDC said:

Thanks Glenna
    Thanks much Glenna. I love the photo of your young man! As you know, there are a lot of emotional ups and downs that come with a cancer diagnosis, but I agree that a positive outlook is one of the best tools a person can have when approaching treatment, in addition to a healthy amount of research/questioning.

John

Sorry you had to get the
    Sorry you had to get the membership card John. I got mine back in March when my mom was dx, and this sight has been a tremedous help!

Keep us posted as to your final dx and treatment plan.

Take care
    Elysia
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    I'm sorry to welcome you aboard
    But I think you'll do well!

stayingcalm
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    JohnBinDC said:

Thanks Glenna

John

"The Mad Man Maven"
    Thanks John, the picture is of my great grandson Maven. He is one of my reasons for fighting so hard. He was born 2 months after I finished treatment and he has kept my spirits high and given me another reason to fight for my life. I look at his smiling face everyday and am automatically cheered up :)

I've always been an early riser but since I've completed treatment (13 months out) I still don't sleep well, partly because of dry mouth from radiation. Now I'm awake between 3:30 and 4:30 every morning. Love watching the sunrise.

Yes, a positive attitude helps you through all of this. As many are quick to say, there is no medical evidence that a good attitude helps recovery, but I don't wish to get into that argument. I personally feel that my positive attitude helped me keep my life as normal as it could be while I underwent 4 months of treatment and kept me from sinking into depression.

Stay strong,
    Glenna
  • JohnBinDC

stayingcalm

stayingcalm
    Thank you. I have read several of your posts on this board and a glad you are part of this community. (not glad you or anyone else has membertship) Your posts are well-thought out and encouraging. I look forward to hearing more from you and others who are in "the club". (speaking of clubs, will I need to join the Hair club for men as a result of chemo??! :))
  • cwilder
    cwilder Member Posts: 6
    Good Thought and Prayers
    Hello John my sister also has stage 3a lung cancer. She to is fighiting a good battle. The chemo is taking alot from her but she is working though it and You will too. I pray everyday.
  • 3Mana
    3Mana Member Posts: 811
    Good Luck!
    John,
    Just wanted to wish you good luck with whatever treatment you have. Cancer sucks, and I lost my husband this year from it, so I wish the best for you. I'll say a prayer that you live a long life!!! "CArole"
  • KitKatFox
    KitKatFox Member Posts: 1

stayingcalm

What happened
    HI.

I have missed you at the other blog. What really happened that you are no longer there?

Hugs,
    KitKat
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    KitKatFox said:

What happened
    HI.

I have missed you at the other blog. What really happened that you are no longer there?

Hugs,
    KitKat

Hi KitKat!
    I was summarily bounced from the site because I couldn't keep my mouth shut about Alt treatments - the dangerous kind/the ridiculous kind/the extreme kind/etc. I shouldn't say summarily, because I was given warnings, but I'm pretty sure my last words were not cause enough for getting bounced. No matter, I'm here, where I started =)

Hey, I hear the Lucanix is working for you! So glad - it's been a long road for you, hasn't it, seems like you had one interruption after another on your way to a trial. No more shingles, I hope!

Hope you'll stop by more often, missed you too!
    Deb