Post Hysterectomy - what to expect next?

plrptc
plrptc Member Posts: 32
I just had my post operative appointment with my oncologist. He confirmed the staging oft cancer, Stage 1. With the da Vinci hysterectomy, my uterus, Fallopian tubes, ovaries and cervix were removed. Additionally, some lymph nodes were removed to help verify the staging.
My oncologist says that the cancer was confined to my uterus.
He did advise that the cancer was actually Grade 2 instead of Grade 1 as the D&C had indicated.
I have two questions that I would be most grateful to have answered...
1) How concerned should I be that the grade changed from a 1 to a 2 given that all of the cancer was removed during my hysterectomy?
2) I will return to my oncologist once every 6 months for the first year and then annually for the next five years. Exactly what sort of test will be conducted to verify that I am cancer free? Will the doctor perform a pap smear even though my cervix had been removed? Exactly what is tested or examined in the attempt to make sure that the cancer has not returned?
Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Paula:
    You may or may not

Paula:

You may or may not have the following:
    1) regular internal exams every 6 months
    2) CT scan once a year? (I did)
    3) CA125 at your appointments
    4) PAP Smears either every 6 months or every year
    5) Yearly mammograms

They may or may not also have you do a colonoscopy.
    Also, make sure you have your flu shots yearly now too.

I hope this helps!

Kathy

P.S. Prior to your next office visit, ask if they are going to require a CT scan and/or CA 125 and if so, get them done BEFORE your appointment so they will have the results when you see your doctor. Instead of going to your exam and then having to get the tests, and then waiting for results, etc. etc.
  • plrptc
    Kaleena said:

Paula:
    You may or may not

Paula:

You may or may not have the following:
    1) regular internal exams every 6 months
    2) CT scan once a year? (I did)
    3) CA125 at your appointments
    4) PAP Smears either every 6 months or every year
    5) Yearly mammograms

They may or may not also have you do a colonoscopy.
    Also, make sure you have your flu shots yearly now too.

I hope this helps!

Kathy

P.S. Prior to your next office visit, ask if they are going to require a CT scan and/or CA 125 and if so, get them done BEFORE your appointment so they will have the results when you see your doctor. Instead of going to your exam and then having to get the tests, and then waiting for results, etc. etc.

Thank you
    Great information! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
    Best wishes to you,
    Paula
  • aprillorey
    aprillorey Member Posts: 104
    plrptc said:

Thank you
    Great information! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.
    Best wishes to you,
    Paula

i think each woman is
    i think each woman is diffrent i would not be 100 % worried that you was grade 2 more then grade one what was expilan to me is that there is 3 grades of cancer and 4 stages of cancer grade 1 means your cancer wasnt very active but was still there, grade 2 means your cancer was an Active cancer and grade 3 means your cancer was very active

i was grade 2 i was stage 1 grade 2

that means my cancer was a active cancer while i was in remison i had to under go 3 rounds of radition in the vagina Area.

some woman need radition and others will not i was told since i was grade 2 and i was a high risk cance of its return due to high hormons in my body i needed the radition to lower my risc of its return

For me i was told

i would get a Pap and a Pevlic exam every 3 months for 2 years then every 6 months for 3 years until i reached 5 years if i make it 5 years with out its return then ill be cancer free

also i will have a CT scan along with a chest xray done once a year thats all they will do for me

so you should be excepting Paps and peblic exams, at your check ups and you should be doing a chest xray or a ct scan or both once a year now i would ask your doctor because each case is very much diffrent

with me my check ups are more offten cause of the hormons i have in my body and the high risk i was at its return for others there visits are every 6 months and some may have diffrent test then others

i feel they should be doing alot more for me to be sure it dont return how ever they are not i guse its normal

i hope this helped some but the best u can do is talk to your doctor and find out what he will do

but im oh most sure u will at lest be geting the pap and the pevlic exam they will check the vagina Cluff to by sticking there finger in and feeling around to be sure they dont feel nothing at lest from my understanding that is what he said

God bless

April many prayers
  • plrptc

i think each woman is
    i think each woman is diffrent i would not be 100 % worried that you was grade 2 more then grade one what was expilan to me is that there is 3 grades of cancer and 4 stages of cancer grade 1 means your cancer wasnt very active but was still there, grade 2 means your cancer was an Active cancer and grade 3 means your cancer was very active

i was grade 2 i was stage 1 grade 2

that means my cancer was a active cancer while i was in remison i had to under go 3 rounds of radition in the vagina Area.

some woman need radition and others will not i was told since i was grade 2 and i was a high risk cance of its return due to high hormons in my body i needed the radition to lower my risc of its return

For me i was told

i would get a Pap and a Pevlic exam every 3 months for 2 years then every 6 months for 3 years until i reached 5 years if i make it 5 years with out its return then ill be cancer free

also i will have a CT scan along with a chest xray done once a year thats all they will do for me

so you should be excepting Paps and peblic exams, at your check ups and you should be doing a chest xray or a ct scan or both once a year now i would ask your doctor because each case is very much diffrent

with me my check ups are more offten cause of the hormons i have in my body and the high risk i was at its return for others there visits are every 6 months and some may have diffrent test then others

i feel they should be doing alot more for me to be sure it dont return how ever they are not i guse its normal

i hope this helped some but the best u can do is talk to your doctor and find out what he will do

but im oh most sure u will at lest be geting the pap and the pevlic exam they will check the vagina Cluff to by sticking there finger in and feeling around to be sure they dont feel nothing at lest from my understanding that is what he said

God bless

April many prayers

Thanks April
    Thank you for all the information. I really appreciate it.
  • aprillorey
    aprillorey Member Posts: 104
    plrptc said:

Thanks April
    Thank you for all the information. I really appreciate it.

your very much welcome i
    your very much welcome i know how importen it is we share as much as we can as it helps alot it has me the woman here are grate God bless